Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Knowing when to quit racing.
Quote | Reply
I've been doing triathlons for about 15 years (mostly a lot 15 yrs ago and a lot lately with a gap in the middle to work hard, raise a family, etc.). The longest distance I've done is 70.3.

This last race in Boulder was catalytic. I knew going in I wasn't prepared for the run (missed one long run during my 12-week training and walked another in 105 degree heat). I knew I'd suffer but finish. Indeed, I had a very good swim and save for mechanicals and a flat on the bike, had a great ride. Suffered through the run (longer run split than bike). I swore during the run I was done racing.

I think I feel done because I just suck at running and the third leg is always soul-crushing and painfully difficult. The problem is, I love the training. I enjoy swimming and I'm pretty fast. I love riding my bike and excel at that, too. I want to love running and want to be competitive during races - but I don't and I am not. And this ruins racing for me.

So when does one know when to stop racing? 2/3 of the race is fun and the training is fun. Do I need a new coach, additional coach, no coach? Should I pick a different sport?

Alas, it's been a few days and I'm back on ST and thinking of racing again. Off I go for a run...
Quote Reply
Re: Knowing when to quit racing. [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend that quit racing a few years ago but still trains with us. It's what he enjoys doing.

Some day he'll race again but right now he's got too much going on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think I feel done because I just suck at running

Dude... Aquabike!

I quit for 37 years and that's what got me back again.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you legitimately don't want to run, start looking for aquabike events. There are a ton up in Boulder as well.

If you don't like racing because you suck at running, focusing on it with specific training to improve will likely make you enjoy racing more. (and now off to follow my own advice and get my ass to the pool lol)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude - you’re a perfect aquabike candidate. Assuming you actually like racing (presumably you do or you wouldn’t have stuck with it so long). For me, I love racing and need races on my calendar to keep me motivated through training.

Sure, Aquabikes might not have the glory/depth of field of the triathlon, but why not set your sights on placing/winning and spend all your training time on the two sports you actually enjoy. TBH, given how crappy some triathletes are at swim and others like yourself struggle with running, I don’t know why there aren’t more duathletes and aquabikers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with avoiding the run and doing other active events like aquabike or other things if you really dislike running.

If however, you think your run went badly because of two missed runs during training, the culprit is in your lack of run volume in your training plan, not the run itself. (I'm going to guess that you missed a lot more than just 2 runs?)

I'd also keep in mind that as you get 45+, it almost becomes a privilege to be able to run regularly, and far. Some of us with early arthritis from earlier sports injuries, don't have the luxury of running as hard or as much as we plan to, so enjoy your running ability before the bad stuff sets in.
Quote Reply
Re: Knowing when to quit racing. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly me. Oh, my gosh. I hate the third leg. Funny thing is I'm pretty good at 5K, 10K and half marathon. What helped me was nutrition. A lot of electrolytes, sodium and gels helped me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of other distances than 70.3 where you won't put yourself in a day-long world of hurt if you're sub-optimally trained on the run. Super League multi-super sprints, regular sprint, draft-legal sprint (so fun), Oly... tons of options. For the shorter races, you can still kill yourself and barf at the finish line if you want to win - it just won't take up the better part of a day.
Quote Reply
Re: Knowing when to quit racing. [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
Quote:

Dude... Aquabike!

This. I'm in the same boat as OP. How slow am I at running? In an Oly triathlon two years ago, I came into T2 with a 10 minute lead. I still barely took 1st. I did have a sore ankle that year, but I wouldn't have been much faster. I also weigh 190 pounds. These fast runners look like they weigh 120 dripping wet.

I've done a handful of Aquabike and hit podium almost every time. It would be a nice ego boost but it just causes me to think more about my slow run.

I have Ironman Traverse City and after that I may just do Aquabikes. The only thing holding me back is not having done a full distance. Maybe I will do MiTi full next year, check that box, and be done with it.

I'm intrigued by these new gravel road races of 100-200 miles. But I'd have to sell my TT bike to upgrade my gravel road. I guess I could still do a full ironman on a gravel bike (with road tires). Especially if I'm doing it to check a box.

Quote | Reply
15 years is plenty long for racing. As others have commented, go the aqua bike route if you want to continue participating in the events, or stick with the shorter tri event options. And you can walk instead of running. Participate in the events to enjoy them, not to try and win something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! love that last part. You may think it's time to quit but CAN you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you stop having fun its time to quit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pretty much only do Sprints anymore (AmZof and SOS are the 2 exceptions), since my run training is so sporadic, due to being a Middle Aged White Man and constant niggling injuries.

You can totally fake your way thru a Sprint on hardly any run training.
I've been doing it for YEARS now.

You can also "just" race bikes (road, gravel, cx, mtb - you name it), and/or swim (I guess - I mean, who actually does THAT for fun??)

Or, "just" partake in the things you enjoy, and don't bother racing at all.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it's the swim that I despise (loathe?); which is why I only do duathlon now. I love the bike and run, that's what keeps me racing. Does this mean I'll never do an Ironman-branded event? Sure. Do I care? Not really. :)

Do what you enjoy and what motivates you.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Knowing when to quit racing. [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
You can totally fake your way thru a Sprint on hardly any run training.
I've been doing it for YEARS now.

I took last year off and only did Sprints. Forgot how much fun they are. You can basically leave your car running. lol

For swim and run I did no training. I was focused on MTB racing so I had a ton of bike training in.

Quote | Reply
In addition to the AquaBike suggestion, doing a few team/relay events may be fun. Runner is usually the easiest slot to fill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have room to improve so why not focus on running. Become a runner. Train for a running event and the residual effect will be that you become a better Ironman runner.
or
Just swim and bike and don't worry about Ironman. Sometimes its nice to just do what you like, when you want and if urge comes back to race...than race.

enjoy life!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are not having fun, it's time to take a break or quit altogether. I haven't done a road triathlon since Boulder 70.3 in 2016. Don't miss the swim training, and don't miss the "I have to do this or that". Lots of other events to do! Trail running, epic cycling, mtb races, etc. Since "retiring" from triathlon, I have done Leadville 100 MTB, Mt Evans Hill Climb, and numerous trail running events (and one short Xterra tri). Follow your heart. I have moments where I think hmmm when a new race pops up (Roanake 70.3 looks awesome), but my heart is not in it and it feels great just to ride and run and not think as much about the whole triathlon scene. My 2 cents.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Knowing when to quit racing. [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
Quote:

Dude... Aquabike!

Where do you find competitive aquabike races?

I’ve done approx 8 and won all by a large margin. The races I’ve done have only a few people in them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to love running, but my arthritic knees put that off limits. My solution is relay triathlons. I ride the bike. Some are extremely competitive and some are not at all. In the last two years, my teams have had two victories by less than 40 seconds and one victory by in excess of 30 minutes. You never know what you'll get on a given day.

It's very hard getting swimmers for relays. But if you swim and ride, getting a competitive runner is usually very easy. Relays are fun. And sometimes very competitive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, a few approaches:

1. Just hammer the swim and bike and jog/walk the run. You don’t have to podium when you race or even try for a PR. Maybe try for PRs on the swim and bike.

2. Aquabike

3. Start doing dedicated open water swims and dedicated bike races (TTS, Crits, CX, XC, etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bookend sports of swimming and cycling I find are pivotal to staying in and being all-in, in triathlon.

You have to really love them - because if you don't, it's going to be really hard to stay motivated.

I stopped racing at a high-level years ago myself - main reason, big job promotion, and my son was born and I realized, I could not carry on at the same level that I had been in the sport. Now a tell-tale sign for me was my lack of motivation to keep at the swim training. I was fine in-season, for the past few years I was racing seriously, but I seem to recall essentially doing NO swimming at all through the whole of the winter those last few years, then trying to whip myself into decent swim shape ounce in-season. If I was being honest with myself, it was the swimming that I liked the least of the three sports, and required the biggest amount of mental push to get myself out the door to do. It was never that way with running or cycling!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Knowing when to quit racing. [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Fuller wrote:
Quote:

Dude... Aquabike!

Where do you find competitive aquabike races?

I’ve done approx 8 and won all by a large margin. The races I’ve done have only a few people in them

I'm in St Pete FL, I've been doing the local 3 race series at Ft Desoto.
Results from last weekend here https://triregistration.com/...sNew.php?raceid=3395

I'm the only 66 year old in the group but I'm coming in 1st and 2nd in the 50 and up group. We have the Women's 40-45 National Champion in this race and a few younger guys who are pretty quick. The big show will be Miami Man later this fall, no shortage of competition there.

And because I'm a data nerd I also download the Triathlon results (that do the same swim and bike course) I delete T2 and the run and add them to my "virtual field" spreadsheet. The best overall bike split was from an Aquabiker and the second best swim was from an Aquabiker.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Last edited by: Fuller: Aug 8, 19 19:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to make the decision. Back off, do some fun sprints, olympics, enjoy, see. where it goes. Volunter at some locals races with kids. Stoke up.
Quote Reply
Re: Knowing when to quit racing. [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello o MrTri123 and All,

MrTri123 wrote in part: Where do you find competitive aquabike races?

Most every triathlon race is a competitive aquabike race if you elect to not do the run.

The swim and bike times of competitors are published for comparative analysis and bragging rights.

There will be a fudge factor since if not doing the run ...... you can hit the bike harder than those doing the run.

A friend of mine called me once to tell me he won his age group at Ironman Florida ...... before the run .... but he was bone on bone knees and then the wheels came off and his race went down the toilet. (He finished the very slow run though) But he was happy as he knew what he was in for from the start ... and was just happy to be out there still doin' it.

What percentage shouild the fudge factor be??

Depends on some testing and data analysis divided by how you feel multiplied by the weather plus a bit for terrain .... after integrating for attitude and desire.

What do you think?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next