Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
juanillo wrote:
Does anyone know the start list? On paper, Falukner, Lea Thomas, Dygert, Neven and Stephens are superior? I have no idea of the watts that Knibb can move, neither is she is used to go full gas in a TT and use a UCI legal TT bike (is she is using a legal one in PTO??)...but seems sooooo exciting. The only triathlete that I can think of winning ITT national champs is Flora
"On paper" - which paper is this please?
Why do you think "going full gas for 40km - see chase in Bermuda - or indeed St George last year and just now in Boulder, means "she isn't used to going full gas"? She averaged 43kph on a road bike with clip-ons at the 2021 Collins Cup and is now obv a lot better than she was there (Aug 2021).
Listen to the ProTriNews interview - her set up on her TT bike is either UCI legal or very close to it. Who would have even thought of that as an issue? ;)
As others have offered for national TT champs:
Findlay ITT, Norden ITT, Matthews 100mile, and go and look at ThĂĽrig's record for TT as well as tri (spoiler multiple ITT world champ), Spirig was second in SUI ITT in 2018.
Start list has not yet been published but Knibb has been assured of a place (field limited to 35) . Here's last year's result (Leah Thomas ftw, only 23km (why not the same length as the men?)) https://www.procyclingstats.com/...s-we-itt/2022/result ITT won in 46kph both in 2021 and 2022.
Knibb'll be cycling/racing for Lidl-Trek next month.

Easy!! I forgot about Findlay and Norden...if we compare Taylor to all the triathletes, including Ryf, seems superior.
My doubts were about her experience in managing the effort in a pure TT cycling race...I dont think it is the same as riding after a swim a prior a run. And we cannot compare Canada and Sweden with USA in terms of competition (all respect to Paula and Lisa). A podium will be huge for her (considering that Faulkner and/or Dygert will race)

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be very curious to see how she compares to Dygert and Faulkner, both of whom are very dialed in their positions. We have good power data from Chloe through the years and Faulkner has done nice climbs in races where we have excellent calculations for her 20-30-40 minute power capacity.

This should be a bit under 30 minutes for the winner. This ride should give us some interesting data points.
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
marcag wrote:
<pink> don't tell anyone....I checked if Lionel could make it to the Olympics </pink>

The Olympics are for athletes, not fitness influencers.

This made me laugh.
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
According to Jack Jelly from HTT she will dominate the world of cycling; ITT and Grand Tours.
I don’t agree with the GT prediction, but I think she’ll do great in the ITT. Very excited for her.
The USA ITT is on Thursday morning and she then has to hop it to Montreal in time for the 6pm race brief (miss it and that'll be a 10 sec penalty taken in T1).
https://s3.amazonaws.com/...ro-Road-Schedule.pdf
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jun 19, 23 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is that, about a 3 hour flight or so? That would be cutting it super close depending on the flights available. Do they ever give dispensations to athletes for this sort of thing, persona reasons, etc? Or is it black and white, miss it and you are screwed?

She needs that jet of Ryf's to be on stand by, really hope she can do the double without any hiccups..I know you can get those private charters, just need a sponsor to pick up the tab..
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No commercial flights will get her there in time, as you imply.
https://www.rome2rio.com/...e/Montreal#r/Fly/s/1
A 10 second penalty taken in T1 would be a bummer for her but might make the race for spectators more interesting. One can envisage her making her way to the front of the chase pack and then dropping huge watts to bridge across alone. With her weak(er) run (cf top WTCS ranked starting) she has to make T2 with as few rabbits as possible (appreciate stating the blindingly obvious) so must break clear and not drag the pack up, and then shed those just 'hanging on' in the front pack. Whether she has time in only 20km to do all that . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
According to Jack Jelly from HTT she will dominate the world of cycling; ITT and Grand Tours.
I don’t agree with the GT prediction, but I think she’ll do great in the ITT. Very excited for her.
The USA ITT is on Thursday morning and she then has to hop it to Montreal in time for the 6pm race brief (miss it and that'll be a 10 sec penalty taken in T1).

How technical is the USA ITT ?
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:

I'm happy to be proven wrong but I also don't see it. the Dutch alone could field a dozen girls that outride her at the moment. if she's just doing TT stuff that could be a good shout. but I'm thinking of famously strong tri cyclists (Andrew johns, Spencer smith) who moved over to cycling and had middling success.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is it in 2023 that the women and men still race different distances in bike racing? Doesn't this seem a bit archaic? Why isn't it a 40k for all?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
juanillo wrote:
Does anyone know the start list? On paper, Falukner, Lea Thomas, Dygert, Neven and Stephens are superior? I have no idea of the watts that Knibb can move, neither is she is used to go full gas in a TT and use a UCI legal TT bike (is she is using a legal one in PTO??)...but seems sooooo exciting. The only triathlete that I can think of winning ITT national champs is Flora

Paula Findlay won the Canadian TT National Title last year. And she's coming back to defend it this year. She's talked about going to the Olympics to race the TT, but I don't know what exactly the qualifying looks like for that.

I was curious, so I looked it up. See below.
Another top result in Edmonton means she has a good chance of being selected.
Her past Olympic triathlon experience was a long time ago and a bit of disaster so I'm not sure how it would come into play.
It's not guaranteed and she might have to go to Glasgow to assure selection.
Top Canadian in Glasgow would clinch a Paris spot.

Quote:
Athletes will be nominated in the following order of priority until Canada’s quota has been filled:
Individual Time Trial:
1. Best performance in the Elite Individual Time Trial at the 2023 Road World Championships, or equivalent result*.
2. Additional starters, if applicable, or alternates may be named at the discretion of the Nomination Panel considering Section C, Clause 3.

3. OTHER FACTORS THAT MAY BE CONSIDERED IN NOMINATION In addition to the Specific Nomination Criteria, nomination may take into consideration any one or more of the following additional factors, in no particular order:
• Past Individual performances and/or results in international competition;
• The rider’s potential to contribute to future World Championship, Olympic or Paralympic performances;
• The rider’s technical ability;
• The rider's tactical ability;
• The rider’s physical ability / fitness;
• The rider’s suitability for the course / venue / environmental conditions of the event;
• The rider’s attitude, composure and behavior in high-pressure competitive environments;
• The results of any of the rider’s sport science tests conducted by CC, including biomechanical and physiological;
• The rider’s consistency and reliability in competition;
• The ability of the rider to contribute to a team result;
• The rider’s attendance, performance, attitude and conduct in training whilst a member of national team program (DTE, training camp or competition);
• The rider’s level of communication with CC, including sharing training programs and reports with the relevant National Coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Why is it in 2023 that the women and men still race different distances in bike racing? Doesn't this seem a bit archaic? Why isn't it a 40k for all?

Depth of field.

I know it seems misogynistic, but for road racing I've asked top women cyclists and they say the longer you make the races, the more likely the same few athletes win everything.
The fields in just the last couple of years are showing progress though.

TT and CX should definitely be same distance as the men though.
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:

I'm happy to be proven wrong but I also don't see it. the Dutch alone could field a dozen girls that outride her at the moment. if she's just doing TT stuff that could be a good shout. but I'm thinking of famously strong tri cyclists (Andrew johns, Spencer smith) who moved over to cycling and had middling success.

I'll happily be wrong, and wish her the best, but I don't think she has the power to keep up with Chloe or Leah if they're motivated. Even Chloe at far less than 100% will be tough to beat...if she's motivated. Certainly Taylor's aerodynamic setup is not on par with either of them. Unless something has changed, there's a lot of work to be done there.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
I'll happily be wrong, and wish her the best, but I don't think she has the power to keep up with Chloe or Leah if they're motivated. Even Chloe at far less than 100% will be tough to beat...if she's motivated. Certainly Taylor's aerodynamic setup is not on par with either of them. Unless something has changed, there's a lot of work to be done there.
I note you cover your bets by being "happy if I'm wrong" but.
Have you any basis (quantative) to "think" that Dygert's and Thomas' (motivated) power is greater than Knibb's? Assume this is really just a 'guess' or 'hunch'.
Will be great to see on Thursday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
Have you any basis (quantative) to "think" that Dygert's and Thomas' (motivated) power is greater than Knibb's? Assume this is really just a 'guess' or 'hunch'.

Dygert, at least pre-injury, was doing enormous numbers in an extremely optimized position. The world record holder in the individual pursuit and TT world champ. She's been back racing well again this year.

Taylor in the PTN interview seemed extremely open eyed about what she is getting into and ready to learn and improve.
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Jun 20, 23 16:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:

Well, 2 of the three have been my clients, so I have a pretty good idea of their power and a very good idea of the CdA’s. Chloe’s spot in Paris is all but guaranteed, so no reason for her to perform other then maybe to prove a point. Without her injury, even at 26 she’d already be on the short list of greatest female cyclists of all time. Leah probably has her spot pretty well locked up too, I would guess.

I haven’t seen the start list, but if Zoe Perez is racing and on form, watch out for her. Probably the lowest CdA of everyone and good power to weight. Her Achilles is the lack of explosive power. Not a problem here I don’t think. There’s 3 or 4 others that could show up and crush Taylor I suspect, but not sure how many came back from Europe or who have any desire to race TT since a win isn’t guaranteeing them an Olympic spot (lest we forget 2016).

I’m not saying Taylor doesn’t have the talent, but her CdA alone, which judging by photos must be above .21, should place her well behind the others.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great answer @Jim. and thank you for taking the trouble to share.
Good summary article at Tri247 by Tomos here: https://www.tri247.com/...knibb-trek-segafredo
Thirty hours to Knibb's start at Knoxville. Has she got enough power to overcome that poor CdA?
Are the other athletes "motivated" or can lack of that be used as a post hoc excuse?
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jun 21, 23 2:12
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:

More technical than 95% of USA triathlons, with a steeper climb and one major descent into a turn, plus 3 hairpins, all done twice by the women. (2 climb/descents, 6 hairpins) But not that technical. The descent into a turn can be done in aero position, but a lot of folks will come out of aero momentarily and many will scrub some speed with a quick brake.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
marcag wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:

More technical than 95% of USA triathlons, with a steeper climb and one major descent into a turn, plus 3 hairpins, all done twice by the women. (2 climb/descents, 6 hairpins) But not that technical. The descent into a turn can be done in aero position, but a lot of folks will come out of aero momentarily and many will scrub some speed with a quick brake.

Thanks

I wish I could watch it, but it sounds like it's FLO exclusive
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
What is that, about a 3 hour flight or so? That would be cutting it super close depending on the flights available. Do they ever give dispensations to athletes for this sort of thing, persona reasons, etc? Or is it black and white, miss it and you are screwed?

She needs that jet of Ryf's to be on stand by, really hope she can do the double without any hiccups..I know you can get those private charters, just need a sponsor to pick up the tab..

The rules outline what exemptions that can be granted in terms of missed briefings, this doesn't seem to fall within the scope of allowable exemptions.
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steady rain on-course..

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dygert isn't racing?

Marj Rinaldo in 4th used to race triathlon as an age grouper.
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
Dygert isn't racing?

Chloe is starting with bib #2 in a couple of minutes.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ShawnF wrote:
Steady rain on-course..

It ought to be good practice for Saturday's race in Quebec.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Knibb signed by Trek-Segafredo [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
31:41 for Taylor. Currently in 1st by 1:26. Big hitters on course now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next