Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee Surgery Yesterday, feeling great today
Quote | Reply
        Yesterday I took a trip to the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. I had a two hour surgery to repair my petella tendon and clean up some tearing on my maniscus. Everything went well. I thought it would, I was at one of the best hospitals in the country and I was worked on by one of their best doctors. No pain in the knee, just a little in the lower back from the nerve block.

Today I started PT. I'll go three times a week hopefully for a month but possibly for three months. I've got a lot to do. I want to be recovered and back in shape to be racing again in May. I can do it. i'll be lazy this week then after I get the stitches out next week I'll try to get something going.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Surgery Yesterday, feeling great today [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck on a speedy recovery! Good doctors make all the difference!!! You'll be back at it before you know it. Enjoy the time off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad you are doing so well. How long did the doc say before you could get back at it?

I Wish I could say they same, I just hard two screws put in my ankles on the 22nd of Dec. Went back yesterday for a check up and to get a Cast put on. I was under the impression that I would be in the cast for 4 weeks. Doc told me 6-8 now because I have "soft" bones (diet change in progress- hello milk goodbye coke and coffee) and because I have nearly severed a tendon in half due it rubbing over the fracture and a bone spur. He went on to tell me no hard running for the next 1 1/2-2 years, so that I don't rupture the tendon.

Oh joy! Looks like my races will be a Swim, Bike, Walk- Which I guess is better than a Swim, Bike Crawl or even worse a Swim, Wheelchair, Wheelchair.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Knee Surgery Yesterday, feeling great today [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
         It's time for a name change for you. If you call yourself a hasbeen you will become one. Yours is going to be a long road back, but you can do it if you really want it. Time goes fast. We all know that. Just keep working on your recovery and soon you will be there.

The doctor told me 6 weeks untill I'm running. He said I'll be in the pool with the pull bouy and spinning the bicycle in 3 to 4 weeks. Funny thing, he knows how physical my job is and he said I'll be 8 to 12 weeks out. I told him I'm shooting to cut that in half. I told work I'll be back in 3 to 4, so something's got to give. I think I'll be back but only as a supervisor untill I'm healed. Feels great right now. I already feel like I could walk around with my brace and leave the crutches behind.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's time for a name change for you. If you call yourself a hasbeen you will become one. Yours is going to be a long road back, but you can do it if you really want it. Time goes fast. We all know that. Just keep working on your recovery and soon you will be there.

I suppose hasbeen is relative, and your're right it certainly could be negative. From my perspective I will never reach the level I used to be. I have accepted that I will never swim a 200 free in 1:38 again. I don't have the Time desire and youth to do so. When I did I was a full time swimmer, cranking out 5-6 hours a day and 15-20K yards. On the flip side I hold my own in the swim phase of every race I enter, almost always first out of the water. I guess that is my definition of hasbeen.

Back to the injury- 6 week is great! I really wish you luck, I makes me feel better that someone else is on a quick road to recovery. Makes me think I will also, just gotta walk that fine line between pushing to hard and not hard neough. My job is also very physical, and my boss was very understanding of my situation. I guess it helps that I was 160% of my budget in 04'. But either way I need to get back out an work to feed the family. Lugging a cast around for the next 6-8 weeks will not help me with all the walking and lifting I do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a the same injury as you but not as big of tear. Did they use suture anchors to tie the tendon back down to the tibia?

Ron

----------

Quote Reply
Re: Knee Surgery Yesterday, feeling great today [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't ask what the doctor used. I looked at it today and I have about a four inch gash over the petella tendon and a small puncture where he did the arthroscopic work on my maniscus. Have you had your surgery? Will you. The doctor told me that some people would be able to leave it alone but I wasn't one of them. It was only a partial tear. I can't wait to get healed up and running again.

Quote Reply
Re: Knee Surgery Yesterday, feeling great today [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:38 for 200 free. Holy sh*t! You must have caused a wake in the pool! Anyway, you have alot of work to do to get back. Think possitively. I think a good idea for you would be "thefastestswimmeronslowtwitch" Good luck with your recovery, Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am currently getting by without surgery. It has been 10 weeks since I partially ruptured it. The first 4 weeks I couldn't walk. As the swelling went down and the tenderness went away I started to run and ride again. I still have a nice lump on the tendon but the pain is gone and I am back up to speed... well January speed :) The only thing I can't do is kneel on it. I still don't know what the right thing to do is. I ran a 36:53 10k on the treadmill this morning without any knee pain and my cycling power is starting to build again. My doc says that it is up to me. It is hard to convince myself to go under the knife if it isn't bothering me. This is why I am so interested in your experience.

Ron

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
1:38 for 200 free. Holy sh*t! You must have caused a wake in the pool! Anyway, you have alot of work to do to get back. Think possitively. I think a good idea for you would be "thefastestswimmeronslowtwitch" Good luck with your recovery, Jim

Thanks for the nice words, but that was a long time ago- early 90's. And FWIW 1:38 for a 200 Yd Free is not Super fast. Typical Olympic times converted from meters to yards would be around 1:31-1:33.

Yeh I need to buck up that is for sure, I just can't get over two things from yesterday- First- 6-8 wks in this stupid cast, from a work stand point this is REALLY BAD. Second no hard running for 1 1/2-2 years, what really sucks is my wife was there to hear it all so now she will hound me every time I want to go work out.

Quote Reply