Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee Pain - 10 o'clock (left knee)
Quote | Reply
I've been getting knee pain while running for the past few months. If you were looking at my knee, the pain would be at about 10 o'clock if my knee were indeed a clock. It feels like a tendonitis type pain that sort of radiates onto the knee cap itself. It hasn't really gotten worse, but it hasn't gotten better either. Anybody had anything similar to this?
Last edited by: thirsty: Mar 23, 05 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Pain - 10 o'clock [thirsty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT band (assuming the clock is placed over the front of your right knee cap - i.e. the pain is lateral from about the midline of your knee cap). Do a forum search. You'll find more information that you care to read.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Pain - 10 o'clock [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, it's the left knee - so inside of knee. Definitely not IT Band, been there done that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which knee? 10:00 on one is diff. than the other...probably patellar tendinitis if it's around the knee cap...usually abover and/or below it...if so, it sounds counterproductive but stretch it often. Otherwise it heals short/tight when you rest it then comes back (microtears) when you excercise again.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Pain - 10 o'clock [Pony Boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't thinking - left knee. Can you recommend a good stretch? The pain basically starts at the bottome of the left quadriceps and goes to the top of the knee cap. I can't seem to find a good stretch other than your basic stand and pull you foot up to your ass. It just doesn't seem to work very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any pain on the bike? Pain on the medial side of the knee can often be attributed to a weak Vastus Medialis muscle. Did you change running shoes or cycling shoes within the last couple months?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the bike it comes and it goes, but it's consistent on the run, especially after about 3 miles. I think it may have been a result of riding my single speed and pushing the 48X16 around the Seattle hills. I've sold the bike but the pain remains. I am running in Asics DS trainers right now, perhaps I should move to something with more cushioning until the pain subsides?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't get real technical on this but I've had Patellar Tendinitis flare ups about 8 times over the years. It would start below the knee then progress to above the knee (I think...may have been vice versa). I used to completely stay off it for a few weeks until it finally went away (also taking Ibuprofin). A few years ago a doctor friend told me to stretch it (same stretch you mentioned). This keeps it from healing short. Now I can shake it in about 3 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Pain - 10 o'clock (left knee) [thirsty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you increased your mileage recently? I had a similar pain (upper inside of kneecap) while training for a spring marathon. I thought it was "runners knee" but it was the wrong side of the kneecap. I decided it may be "jumpers knee", which logically didn't make sense.
  1. cut back the miles,
  2. ice after long runs,
  3. pain reliever.
  4. build up the miles slowly.

Hope it gets better. the above worked for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't yet, go get your running gait analyzed. It might be more of a motion-control issue (over-pronation) than a cushioning issue. Also, you should get a professional bike fitting if you haven't. It can be tricky to identify the root cause of knee problems when you're doing multiple activities, so it's important to check everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Pain - 10 o'clock (left knee) [txtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly I've actually decreased my miles. I was pretty much running exclusively all winter - without pain - then I started my Ironman training regime which begins with no runs over 50 minutes or so which is less than I was consistently running all winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why I'm confused:

Gait analysis - check.

Pro bike fit - check.

I'm thinking it was the single speed because the pain seems to be related to an increase in mileage due to nice weather. Since that is gone and I'm am exclusively tri bike now I'm hoping it will subside, we'll see. Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of pedals do you ride with ? If it are SPD's, get rid of them. I had a similar problem. Most trouble while running, but caused during biketraining. Your feet tend to bow over the pedal and this can cause the stress on your knee. Not sure it is this, just hope to be helpfull.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fuck a duck and try to fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've exhausted all the possible explanations (within reason), then do what I do: Go get a shot of cortisone: )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be bursitis (inflammation of one of the bursae in the knee).

I'd cut back on my training for a week, rest, ice, take anti-inflammatories. If symptoms don't improve after a week I'd see an "expensive" professional.

I would advice against cortisone injections (unless your likelyhood depends on racing triathlons).

Disclaimer: I am not a practicing medical professional, so my advice will be limited to a conservative treatment option.

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Pain - 10 o'clock (left knee) [adrialin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I would advice against cortisone injections."

Why?
Quote Reply