Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kids on E-bikes
Quote | Reply
I was driving to work this morning and was pleasantly impressed with how quick these kids were riding their MTBs on the way to school. I was even more impressed when I saw them freewheel going uphill, till I realised they were on E-bikes. We have a childhood obesity epidemic in Australia. Numbers of kids participating in sports (especially team sports) is plummeting. I'm kinda thinking perhaps it's a bad idea that kids are on E-bikes? Or am I just being a dick? I had many good years as a kid cruising round on my BMX, then MTB. Not sure you get the same satisfaction from riding a powered bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Kids on E-bikes [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough one, and I can't really decide how I feel. Part of me is of the same opinion you are, but then another part of me is "well, at least they're doing something, not sat on a bus". The school I work at frequently has a maximum of 5 or 6 bikes in the bike shed, out of 1300 students. Every extra student that rides an e-bike to school rather than being dropped off by parents or sitting on a bus has to be a bonus, surely?
Quote Reply
Re: Kids on E-bikes [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well your not being a dick! I agree with you my kids have to do 15 Miles a day from home to school and back on the back in all sorts of weather. There's is no way I will get them an E-bike. I occasionally, with really bad weather, bring them to school. E-bikes are not for healthy young children!
Quote Reply
Re: Kids on E-bikes [K73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
K73 wrote:
Well your not being a dick! I agree with you my kids have to do 15 Miles a day from home to school and back on the back in all sorts of weather. There's is no way I will get them an E-bike. I occasionally, with really bad weather, bring them to school. E-bikes are not for healthy young children!

Agree and disagree with you. Preference would be for them to get on a bike and away from video games. Reality is that without an e-bike they continue to play video games until they are able to drive a car.

At least on an e-bike they are working on more motor skills than their thumbs. They are getting fresh air and sun. They could hurt themselves - really - which is an improvement over make believe video games. Maybe there will be some cross over to cycling.

What would we say about adults, especially older adults on the e-bikes? It gets them out of the house; yet, they could hurt themselves - really - which is an improvement over watching TV. Taking a walk might be healthier for them than riding an e-bike without the risk.

What would we say to the LBS carrying e-bikes to sell them to stay in business and not fold?

Maybe cyclists who ride will impress for not doing the ride on an e-bike. Maybe e-bikes will help us with our share of the roadway.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids on E-bikes [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
agree and disagree with you. Preference would be for them to get on a bike and away from video games. Reality is that without an e-bike they continue to play video games until they are able to drive a car.

At least on an e-bike they are working on more motor skills than their thumbs. They are getting fresh air and sun. They could hurt themselves - really - which is an improvement over make believe video games. Maybe there will be some cross over to cycling.
Agree and disagree (a bit more though) with you too. The reason i think we shouldnt promote e-bikes for kids is that -typically- where I live.. the distances kids bike are <15km . Plus I think.. when a kid has an e-bike.. i dont think they use a normal bike for shorter rides and that's the real danger. Keeping kids away from their PS4 by giving them an e-bike just to 'spin the legs'.. hmm.. No :-)

I'm really proud of my son.. he bikes to school every single day .. blistering heat, snow or pouring rain. It builds and reveals character instead of pampering. Maybe i'm old school,, but I think its the right thing to do (next to teaching them to swim when they're young :-) ).
Quote Reply
Re: Kids on E-bikes [maarten.claes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maarten.claes wrote:
IT wrote:

agree and disagree with you. Preference would be for them to get on a bike and away from video games. Reality is that without an e-bike they continue to play video games until they are able to drive a car.

Agree and disagree (a bit more though) with you too. The reason i think we shouldnt promote e-bikes for kids is that -typically- where I live.. the distances kids bike are <15km . Plus I think.. when a kid has an e-bike.. i dont think they use a normal bike for shorter rides and that's the real danger. Keeping kids away from their PS4 by giving them an e-bike just to 'spin the legs'.. hmm.. No :-)

I'm really proud of my son.. he bikes to school every single day .. blistering heat, snow or pouring rain. It builds and reveals character instead of pampering. Maybe i'm old school,, but I think its the right thing to do (next to teaching them to swim when they're young :-) ).

Now I could be agreeing with you more than myself. And the cost of an e-bike to a parent - ouch!

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids on E-bikes [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here too - mixed thoughts about e-bikes. My summary to myself is that if it gets (many) more people on bikes then it makes them a larger group of road users, more visible, more socially acceptable, less chance of people continuing with the "us" & "them" mentality when their friends and family ride too, and maybe governments will one day build better bike lanes..

But i wouldn't buy my kids one. Get the little buggers burning off some sugar!
Quote Reply
Re: Kids on E-bikes [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The argument that an e-bike is getting kids outdoors versus videogames is a red herring.

In reality, in the school commute example, it's actually decreasing their time outdoors with a faster commute.

It's also decreasing time outside because these kids use e-bikes and electric devices to walk their dogs faster and get back indoors.

E-bikes, in the US, are almost universally no different than an electric hoverboard. Rich kid mobility and a toy.

I think ONCE that I've seen a person riding an e-bike in a situation that really was positive. I was on weekend from work in France and saw a big guy huffing it up the mountain I was climbing on an e-bike. He couldn't use the full assist and risk losing all the battery, so was working hard still.

Rest of the time? We have flat MUP's here, mostly. I see folks basically treating them as electric scooters. No effort.

Also, since they get where they're going faster........it's less time outdoors than a manual bike.

I applaud the e-bike for real commuters and folks looking to ride further without risk of getting stranded (think obese or heart patient).

I do not raise its praises as a rich kid's toy.
Quote Reply