Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kettler exercise Bikes - opinions or thoughts?
Quote | Reply
Group,

While my shoulder is injured I have stumbled across the Kettler exercise bikes:

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/..._2004_ergo_racer.htm

Anybody tried these or have any thoughts or recommendations?

Many thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jul 20, 04 4:13
Quote Reply
Re: Kettler exercise Bikes - opinions or thoughts? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david,

To me, it looked an awful lot like a Lemond RevMaster. Are they really different or just the same product by the same manufacturer marketed by two different companies? Like many other things that are manufactured by only one company but sold by more than one company under different names to make you think they are different products.

I'm sure with the wealth of experience here, someone has done enough research on this subject to know the facts and the answer.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Kettler exercise Bikes - opinions or thoughts? [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben,

You are right - it sure does look like the RevMaster. It doesn't have any of the electronics though, which would make it comparable to Kettlers much lower priced model.

I still have a couple of questions:

1. Does this type trainer make sense? It would seem so to me. When I asked why not just a computrainer, they said that the 40 lb fly wheel makes the trainer much more road like + you don't have the sweat, mounting, and other issues that you would have using your bike.

2. If this concept of a trainer makes sense, what are the comparable products and what do others recommend.

I have no experience, but with my recently separate shoulder that knocked me out of IMLP, i have a "new" interest!

Many thanks for any thoughts!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David,

I happen to be a road cyclist who visits Slowtwitch because of the uniqueness and the variety of posters and experience level of the participants in the forum. I think it is hands down the best forum on the web. Just my opinion. FWIW

There is a great road cycling website http://www.roadbikerider.com. The two guys who run it are Ed Pevelka and Fred Metheny who were once upon a time with Bicycling Magazine way back when it was much better. Their goal: to help road cyclists improve their skills and abilities to enjoy road cycling even more.

Fred Metheny is kind of an authority on training and a variety of other subjects. He has a Lemond RevMaster and swears by it as an effective training tool.

Fred also has published an excellent training guide/book titled: Fred Metheny's Complete Book of Roadbike Training. You can find out more about that book and other road cycling books on other subjects at their website roadbikerider.com.

I hope this helps some. I don't think I answered your primary question, but hopefully pointed you in a direction where you might find some answers and opinions on these training bikes.

Good luck.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<quote>When I asked why not just a computrainer, they said that the 40 lb fly wheel makes the trainer much more road like,/quote>

It would take more than that to convince me that being on an exercycle is more like being on my bike than say, being on my bike.

As to whether it feels more road like, should it? The resistance profile of a mag trainer is linear, the resistance profile of wind resistance and a fluid trainer are exponential. Does that matter, is there any reason to believe someone riding a mag trainer at 80% effort is getting less benefit than a guy riding a fluid trainer at 80% effort?

When you are on a trinaer you are riding your bike, in a position that very much mirrors your position when you ride your bike. Using the same muscles and so forth.
Quote Reply
Re: Kettler exercise Bikes - opinions or thoughts? [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben,

Thanks for the direction. I have read some of their books and I just now e-mailed them directly. I appreciate the information!

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont know about the kettler but this is Giant is the bomb.
Quote Reply