Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kestrel Talon as road bike?
Quote | Reply
My LBS is trying to put me on a Talon as a road bike. Around $2200 with Ultegra. The bike fits, but some riding buddies have told me to run from it, as they question the manufacturing quality. Any thoughts? thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon as road bike? [fatslowhappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Talon is a road bike.

$2200 is too much, there is a shop near me selling a full Ultegra - including wheels - Talon for $1760 - it's a 2003 model, red 55cm.

I was very close to getting the SL, but the fit wasn't right.

Seems like your riding buddies are hung up on the multi-piece construction - their loss, it's a great bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheTalon is great for a road bike, because it is a great road bike! I don't know about the prices, but I'm thinking since they've come out with the SL, you could get a good deal on one of the standard (heavier) 2003 models. As far as manufacturing quality...the epoxy they use in this two-piece bike is stronger than the rest of the bike...your friend's worries are misplaced.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what everyone else has said however I would say agree that the price is high for this time of year. Just to give a comaprison I saw a Giant composite with nice mavic wheels, carbon adn metal stem, carbon seat post, Ultegra, a really nice saddle which I can't remember, ergo handle bars for the exact same amount of money. Talon is a nice bike but you should be able to get the same bike for less or get a better bike for that money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kestrel makes fine bikes. $2200 seems pretty high, but if it's from a supportive shop and you'll get free tune-ups I'd say go for it. If it's a lousy shop look elsewhere.

Buy it and freak your roady friends out!

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had my kestrel talon for 2 years now. I am very happy with it. It has been ridden alot, and hard by a 210lb rider. It has held up really good. Fast on the downhills, comforatable on long rides, somewhat light, aerodynamic, and has a setpost with back and forward settings. I think it is a great value for the price. You could probably find one now for under $2000. Missionbaymultisport.com? nytro?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good friend of mine purchased a Talon this year with pursuit bars/tri setup & has loved the bike(plus he got alot faster vs his prior basic 25+Lb Trek). It looks fast just standing still & rides even better.

I was looking into getting a Talon recently but found a screaming deal on a Giant TCR1 Composite(which is also a fantastic bike) & jumped at that instead.

One of the best priced Kestrels that I found online was from Steve @ Bicycle Doctor~ http://www.bloomington.in.us/~bikedoc/ Steve will email you a listing of prices & will build it up exactly how you want it(such as mixing in some Dura-Ace components or swapping wheelsets). I still might end up buying an SL from him in 2004 if the economy continues to improve(a man can never have too many bikes).

Good luck-

DIG
Quote Reply