Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Keeping your Junk warm
Quote | Reply
How do you keep your junk warm on those fall/winter bike rides and runs? Do you wear the running tights and put a pair of shorts over them? What about on the bike? It can get awfully breezy down yonder.
Quote Reply
Re: Keeping your Junk warm [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multiple layers.

Very cold days, or windchill well below zero, I’ll safteypin a hand warmer in between layers.

Few things more painful then when you have to thaw out down there... so I try to generally avoid that.
Quote Reply
Re: Keeping your Junk warm [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Multiple layers.

Very cold days, or windchill well below zero, I’ll safteypin a hand warmer in between layers.

Few things more painful then when you have to thaw out down there... so I try to generally avoid that.

Ive gotta ask, how do you layer with cycling bibs?

ps: that handwarmer tip is a gem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few pairs of long tights that are different thickness...then I put a pair of cycling shorts, or running shorts over top.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Keeping your Junk warm [Orcaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orcaman wrote:
I have a few pairs of long tights that are different thickness...then I put a pair of cycling shorts, or running shorts over top.

Ahhhh, okay. I have some 2XU compression tights. So I put the tights on FIRST and then the bibs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Ive gotta ask, how do you layer with cycling bibs?
Many brands sell unpadded cycling tights that are designed to fit over other cycling leggings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For running I use a woolen sock and put my junk in the sock. I wear a thermal base layer and thick running tights.
My windproof running top is long enough to protect my junk from the wind.
My biggest problem is on long runs, in the cold, is I always need to go for piss. Getting your junk out when it is below -30C is no fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're called wind briefs. Nordic skiers have been using them for decades.
Quote Reply
Re: Keeping your Junk warm [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
For running I use a woolen sock and put my junk in the sock. I wear a thermal base layer and thick running tights.
My biggest problem is on long runs, in the cold, is I always need to go for piss. Getting your junk out when it is below -30C is no fun.

Along these lines, in college we would just fold over a tube sock and stuff it down the front of our running shorts.

My current solution is living in California.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:

Junk in a wool sock?

I take you it you don’t like treadmills.
Quote Reply
Re: Keeping your Junk warm [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Junk in a wool sock?

I take you it you don’t like treadmills.
Correct I hate treadmills. Also the gym is closed due to Covid restrictions. So running outside is my only solution to getting my exercise addiction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I have to stuff my junk in a wool sock, Imma find something better to do with my junk.
Quote Reply
Re: Keeping your Junk warm [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

+1. Works for both cycling and running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Orcaman wrote:

Ahhhh, okay. I have some 2XU compression tights. So I put the tights on FIRST and then the bibs.
"Bib" just means your shorts or tights have shoulder straps. The important part is which garment has a chamois pad. Padded shorts or tights are best worn next to the skin, and any further layers over the top. Pad first, extras later. You can get padded tights/shorts that are bibs or not, and likewise unpadded tights. It doesn't matter if neither, either, or both are bibs (although ideally I'd like both to be bibs). I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but don't wear more than one chamois pad simultaneously!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

this. everything else is a waste of time.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Keeping your Junk warm [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
Orcaman wrote:

"Bib" just means your shorts or tights have shoulder straps. The important part is which garment has a chamois pad. Padded shorts or tights are best worn next to the skin, and any further layers over the top. Pad first, extras later. You can get padded tights/shorts that are bibs or not, and likewise unpadded tights. It doesn't matter if neither, either, or both are bibs (although ideally I'd like both to be bibs). I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but don't wear more than one chamois pad simultaneously!

You know, I struggle with this decision almost every time I go out in the cold. I have compression tights and bib shorts and whenever I wear them together I can never decide which to wear over which. If I wear the tights over the bib shorts, I find they don't stay up. If I wear them under the tights, so that the bib supports them by pulling them up into the crotch, then as you say the chamois is not against my skin.

Every time I'm faced with this choice I set myself a reminder to buy some winter bib tights (long legged cycling shorts with a chamois). But every time I forget, until next time.

That said, I went out with my tights under my bib shorts for 115 miles in 0-3 degrees C weather on Saturday and it wasn't so bad. Sometimes the seams on the tights bother me but it was ok on Saturday, probably because I smeared half a tub of chamois cream over myself.

I must remember to buy some winter bib tights.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple times I've just put one of those neck tube thingys down the front of my tights as an extra layer for that area. Worked really well. Maybe not the most elegant solution but cheap, easy, and effective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been riding in Chicago the last week... and it’s ~25-30 everyday

I bought a pair of underarmour cold gear leggings to wear over my bibs

The sock idea is novel, but it’s junk that gets cold independently, it’s the whole upper thigh / groin areas
Quote Reply
Re: Keeping your Junk warm [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, get all in one padded winter bib tights, with a light fleecy interior. Far superior to layers!
I haven't worn layers on my lower half for years. In Ireland I use 3/4 length for most rides in spring or autumn, winter tights when it gets below about 8 degrees, and shorts when it's warmer. The 3/4 lengths are great, and I could get by with them for all but the hottest and coldest rides if I didn't have multiple options. But then Ireland is fairly temperate (say 0-28 degrees C)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted this in another thread

At one particularity chilly road race, while waiting at the start, I dropped this one

Me: You know how surfers pee in there wetsuits to warm up?
Girl: Yeah, I've heard that
Me: Doesn't work so good with running shorts
Girl: <laugh>

We ran together to the first water stop; good fun and a great result for me on that day

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stuff a toque down there.
Quote Reply
Re: Keeping your Junk warm [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
If I have to stuff my junk in a wool sock, Imma find something better to do with my junk.

Thank you, that was the best thing I've read all day. You owe me a new keyboard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually do bibs UNDER tights. Otherwise you have seams of the tights against your skin instead of the chamois. They also sell windproof / waterproof winter stuff that may not need multi-layering.

Just one thing to be careful about - the 2nd layer can get caught on the tip of the saddle if you happen to switch between standing and sitting. Even if both layers are tight this has happened to me.

I have more problems keeping my hands and feet warm- and also dressing warm enough but not too warm. The longer you ride, the harder this balance is. The longest rides I was able to tolerate were ~4 hours a few winters ago, and even then I probably waited too long to go inside. Those rides I spent most of the ride shivering because I didn't want to overheat on climbs- and then If you sweat even a little and its cold - you are done for.

Admittedly I've become less willing to ride in the cold anymore. I'd rather hop on my bike in the basement than take 30 minutes to get dressed and then freeze the whole time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

Love em for runs. Not so much for bike rides. I got lucky, though - ages ago I bought a pair of winter bike bibs, which even have stirrups and they do a great job on all things wind related. I don't live where it gets cold anymore but when I did I'd ride with lobster gloves and on my hands, two different things on my head/face, and warmers in my shoes but by junk did ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the best investments I made in fall/winter riding was buying a pair of insulated bibs. It is amazing how much heat is lost through your junk.
Quote Reply