Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kalifornication?
Quote | Reply
I'll try and make a long story short. I grew up in Contra Costa County (Pleasant Hill/Martinez) and when I was 13, my Dad's job relocated us to the "great" Pacific Northwest. I've been here 22 years and am strongly contemplating getting the flock out. This place is a cold, damp, moldy UV-less hell-hole. However, I see new transplants from California moving up here in droves. When I mention my longing to move back, they all tell me that Cali is a hot (yes!), expensive, crime-ridden hell-hole. I guess Sacramento is a waste-land, Bay Area is expensive beyond belief. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Tool and various other artists make a fortune writing songs bashing So. Cal.

So, what is up with Cali? Hell-hole?

I miss the Sun.....

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Kalifornication? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is no sun here, it is crime ridden and expensive, plus overpopulated.

it is bad, very bad, do not move to California.

:')
Quote Reply
Re: Kalifornication? [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 "there is no sun here, it is crime ridden and expensive, plus overpopulated."

I think you're refering to NYC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So. Cal...

It may be hell, but it's the best hell we've got. Lived in Seattle from 90-97. San Diego from 97-2000. Back to Seattle 2000-2003 and now I'm on Long Island. As soon as we finish grad school we're back to So. Cal. Santa Barbara would be the first choice, then San Diego.

I hear Bend, OR is nice. Warmer, drier, smaller, plenty of tri related activities.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"there is no sun here, it is crime ridden and expensive, plus overpopulated. it is bad, very bad, do not move to California."

what you said.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, expensive, but salaries are higher. Crowded, maybe. A totally thriving and vibrant tri scene. Yeah.

In an ideal world where I had piles of money, I'd split time between here (SF), Sonoma County, north county San Diego and New Zealand (in our winter/their summer). Move back to the Midwest? No way. Anywhere else in the US? No way. (OK, maybe Austin.)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a transplanted New Yorker. I've lived in So. Cal for over 30 years (with a brief hiatus in the Bay Area for grad school). While you can't beat the weather and it's a wonderful place for tri-related activities, living here just gets tougher and tougher. Don't get me wrong. There is no way I would ever go back to the Big Apple. But if any of you are paying attention to the disaster of what's going on in Sacramento with the state budget, you have to be thinking about another place to live. I guess if you're a student it's not too bad. But if you want to buy a house, or you're trying to figure out how to get a decent eduction for your kids w/o selling a body part, or driving on the freeways, or trying to stay employed, on top of more taxes on EVERYTHING.... Sorry, I was losing control. Austin huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about New Mexico? Warm winter with lots of sun. Biggest down side is that the schools suck unless you go the private route. Tri scene is small but dedicated and close knit. A lot of great races in the area with a whole lot of other outdoor stuff to do. You can train year 'round. You can race pretty much year 'round too.

Taxes are pretty low. Land can be cheap depending on where you want it. Traffic is not a big factor yet. Look at this link below for a Fantasy write up of Albuquerque.

http://www.transitiontimes.com/...;ett2local=newmexico

Rusty

"Strategy? The strategy was in the preparation" - Lance Armstrong after winning 2000 TDF
Quote Reply
Re: Kalifornication? [TriDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just wait until Joe (Gray) Davis announces that he is going to triple our car tax, likely this week, hard to believe that the fifth largest enconomy in the world has Howdy Doody at the helm.

Gary
Last edited by: Gary in SD: May 14, 03 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Kalifornication? [TriDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Washington State isn't a whole lot better. Boeing will be GONE in 10 to 15 years (relocated to a more biz friendly state). Our state government doesn't seem to understand you can't tax the shit out of businesses and expect them to stay around. The only thing keeping our economy afloat is migration into the state which has been keeping real estate inflating. This inturn gives people equity with which to get more loans on so they can buy monolithic SUV's and chrome toilets (Harley-Davidsons). If home values begin to soften, look out. Back in the Seventies, there were billboards up saying "Will the last person to leave Seattle please turn out the lights." It could be time to get those billboards out again.

Oh yeah, guess what? It's raining outside as I type this :(

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vive Canada!!! And especially Quebec!

No traffic, cheaper house, cheaper education and great outdoor...

Oh yeah, there's winter but x-country skiing is great.

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Re: Kalifornication? [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Vive Canada!!! And especially Quebec!

No traffic, cheaper house, cheaper education and great outdoor...

Oh yeah, there's winter but x-country skiing is great.

Are you kidding? Montreal's traffic is not light by any means. The food is awsome in Montreal. The women are top-shelf and come complete with French accents--YUM!

I was watching a fight once when a hockey game broke out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just wait until Joe (Gray) Davis announces that he is going to triple our car tax, likely this week, hard to believe that the fifth largest enconomy in the world has Howdy Doody at the helm

Weird. I thought Howdy Doody was in charge of the LARGEST economy in the world. Or is it Mr. Ed?

Oh, tripled car tax! Wahh!!!! Washington already had that one for many years. It was repealed/changed a few years ago and became similar to CA's. Only problem was that mass transit was cut, road repairs were cut, road improvements were cut. All the rich people saved $50 a year, but now you can't get from place in Seattle to another. Such a deal. I'll take SD's roads & traffic over Seattle's any day.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Montreal!!!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went to Montreal on vacation with my wife... awesome city, great food, tons to do, good people watching, inexpensive (strong US dollar) and firendly people

yes and the french accents are very cute
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traffic? Haven't you guys heard of *public transportation*? For about 1/4 the price of a parking spot downtown (I'm comparing monthly passes), Le Metro gets you to go everywhere you want at 45 miles per hour.

Taku, my accent isn't that cute ...

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: Kalifornication? [Rusty D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How about New Mexico?"

Coming from the Great Lakes area in the Great White North I couldn't get used to the monotony of the desert while living in the southern part of the state. Missed the big lakes, forests and change of season. If I lived there again it probably would be easier for me in the mountains of the northern part of the state.
Quote Reply
Re: Kalifornication? [Justin on LI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<Oh, tripled car tax! Wahh!!!! Washington already had that one for many years. It was repealed/changed a few years ago and became similar to CA's. Only problem was that mass transit was cut, road repairs were cut, road improvements were cut. All the rich people saved $50 a year, but now you can't get from place in Seattle to another. Such a deal. I'll take SD's roads & traffic over Seattle's any day. >

Beleive me, Seattle's traffic problems existed long before the license tab inititive. While there are certainly a lot of grey ponytail ex-hippies in the Puget Sound area, you will not get them out of their Volvos and onto some mass transit system.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah...what everyone else said. It sucks here. Stay away ;-)

Coming from a transplanted Chicagoan, if the 10 million people don't annoy you, the worst air in the country, the worst places to drive (L.A./Orange County), a tanked economy, a political system that ranks about the lowest on the scale you could get (note: coming from the "Land of Politics" in Chicago, we could probably put a kindergarten teacher on the ballot, get them elected, and have them do better than these boneheads), education which ranks in the bottom 5 of the country, crime that is approaching the highest in the country, english will soon be a 2nd language, and worst of all..

The races are so expensive we can't even afford to race...

With that said, it's 65 (cold for THEM here)...so maybe I'll try and suffer through this miserable life on my bike for a few hours

;-D

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
love the one your with. dallas is the place to be. it is the heart of the texas music scene with some ungodly talent. the beer mucho fantastic and the tex-mex tastes of heaven. the women are beyond perfect. love them texas women.

that is just me though. if someone doesn't like where they live then they should move.

canada. gives me the chills.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Kalifornication? [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Customerjon... I read your post, but I'm sure you meant to type "Austin", and instead typed "Dallas" by mistake.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Kalifornication? [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is a piece in the heart of every dallasite that wants to be in austin. austin is texas. austin is a vision. i was born in dallas though and this is where i have put my roots. just a half militer below austin.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timberwolf, I agree with you on Mtl traffic (like dr. Dre said, there's alway's the metro) but when I think of paradise, I think more of Quebec city. Montreal is also great but still not Quebec even if some people find qc city to small.

It's funny, I've alway's thought about going to Seatle or Portland for a while...great outdoor close by. But reading the comments in this thread I'm not so sure it's a good idea after all.

Anyway, the grass is always greener somewhere else but only when you move you see it's not that green!

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Re: Kalifornication? [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<Timberwolf, I agree with you on Mtl traffic (like dr. Dre said, there's alway's the metro) but when I think of paradise, I think more of Quebec city. Montreal is also great but still not Quebec even if some people find qc city to small. >

I never made it out of Montreal when I visited. Frankly, I was happy right in downtown. I never saw so many fine women per kilometer, ate so much quality food and enjoyed the nightlife quite like I did in Montreal. It was right before the vote to separate or not and I found the people were incredibly friendly towards this All-American redneck.

<It's funny, I've alway's thought about going to Seatle or Portland for a while...great outdoor close by. But reading the comments in this thread I'm not so sure it's a good idea after all.>

Don't let my whining discourage you. In reality, the Pacific NW is a beautiful area. What makes it beautiful is the rain, it keeps everything green (it's really a coating of moss on everything). When the Sun does come out for the two or three weeks in August/September, it is very dramatic. I've lived here for 20+ years and am tired of the rain and very short Summers. To an outsider, there is a lot to enjoy about the Northwest.

Some people have to contend with heat related emergencies during a race. I have to worry about hypothermia. A race for me typically involves comming out of a 60 degree F lake, jumping on my bike and hitting 20+ mph in 55 to 60 degree air. I would be much faster on the bike if I wasn't shivering so hard I can't keep a straight line. I would love to draft, not for the speed advantage but to warm up. I can't wait for the run, that is when I finally thaw out.

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't believe nobody has extolled the tri-virtues of Arizona ... not Phoenix, maybe Tucson, but definitely the more rural areas of the state.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Altadena, which is just above Pasadena. Yesterday was a good day: 6am swim at a local outdoor pool (one of 4 within 10 minutes of my house--this cost a whopping $1.00). Lunchtime meeting in Santa Monica--2+ hour commute at 7am, 45 minutes at 10:30 am. Back inland by 3 & running at Monrovia Canyon park--saw a bear (and not just a glimpse, followed him for 10+ minutes as he was on the fireroad & in no hurry to get out of my way). Ran 2 hours, 2500 ft elevation gain up into the San Gabriels, didn't see a single person the entire time. Cool & foggy running thru the forest. Got locked in (the park closes at 5 & the bear delayed my loop) but officer friendly was there in 10 minutes to open the gate. Back home in 15 minutes, out the door again to a business dinner....3 star restaurant 14 minutes from my door.

It gets smoggy here for about 3 months in the summer (no afternoon biking), and as hot as the sun in August/September, but coming from the Midwest it is paradise. That being said, anyone who chooses to live on LA's westside, or in the traffic hell-hole that is OC, will experience the worst that SoCal has to offer (but also the best w/the beach---but for us thats a 40 min drive).

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply

Prev Next