Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here.
Quote | Reply
Apologies for such an open ended question, but i'm truly clueless about the area. I've just started google searching random stores and clubs. I'd love some recommendations for gyms (pool and squat rack) and local clubs / routes. I'm in Bucktown currently and see myself staying in the Logan Square area for the next year or so. I've found team xXx for cycling, they look pretty cool and I would like to have a go at racing Intelligentsia Cup this summer. 3run2 looks cool as well for running, but would love to learn more about local running stores and clubs. Are there any "must do" races in the area? Big Shoulders is quite intimidating, but I'd love to try that as well. I didn't make the lottery for Chicago Marathon. My gilrfriend loves Madison so I imagine I'll take a shot at IM Wisconsin in the next few years as well.

I'm from the northeast, so would love some training advice on how to train for hills with nothing but flatland around you, but literally any advice or anecdotes about the Chicago scene would be greatly appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [Wonnk13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wonnk13 wrote:
Apologies for such an open ended question, but i'm truly clueless about the area. I've just started google searching random stores and clubs. I'd love some recommendations for gyms (pool and squat rack) and local clubs / routes. I'm in Bucktown currently and see myself staying in the Logan Square area for the next year or so. I've found team xXx for cycling, they look pretty cool and I would like to have a go at racing Intelligentsia Cup this summer. 3run2 looks cool as well for running, but would love to learn more about local running stores and clubs. Are there any "must do" races in the area? Big Shoulders is quite intimidating, but I'd love to try that as well. I didn't make the lottery for Chicago Marathon. My gilrfriend loves Madison so I imagine I'll take a shot at IM Wisconsin in the next few years as well.

I'm from the northeast, so would love some training advice on how to train for hills with nothing but flatland around you, but literally any advice or anecdotes about the Chicago scene would be greatly appreciated!

Stop on down at Well-Fit and they can explain it all.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [Wonnk13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well-Fit in the West Loop is a great training facility and group in the City-- plenty of multiple-time KQers, as well as members of all other levels.

For hills, many will head up to Barrington (northern suburb), or even to Madison, which isn't a bad drive at all. Or, just go battle the winds in the cornfields in the western 'burbs and count that as your strength training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it’ll just depend on how much group training you want to do. I like in skokie, just north, but do all of my training alone. No real issues there.

You’re a bit further west than me so the lakefront path probably isn’t an option for you for running unless you don’t mind driving.

Riding isn’t the best in the city but once you get north it isn’t that bad. Not great and not many routes but there are usually plenty of cyclists on Sheridan road on the weekends.

It’s a very active city but lacks the ability to ride/run different routes without having to drive. Shoot me a pm if you have more specific questions.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as gyms check out FFC (fitness formula clubs)... a little on the pricier side, but you get what you pay for. There are like 13ish locations in Chicago alone, almost all with a pool. You’re close the the Lincoln Park location which has a 16 space Computrainer studio. Probably the nicest studio in the city, pool, and full 3 floor gym. Definitely check it out, computrainer classes and course rides, training groups of various levels.

As far as shops (assuming you’re a triathlete) Endure It, is in the burbs, Naperville... great shop for bikes, fit, parts, gear, etc, and also a coaching facility, group rides in the summer head out of the shop into the farm country if you don’t feel like getting killed on your bike in the city!

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been a long time since I lived in Chicago but WAC had the best facility then. 25 (meter, yes meter) pool, and salt water (good for lungs). Very good rates too. But it has been 10 years+ for me.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check Live Grit out...

https://livegrit.com

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonnk13 wrote:

Welcome to Chicago. Here is my list of organizations worth investigating:

1. Chicago Tri Club
  2. Vision Quest (cycling, swimming, coaching)
  3. XXX racing (cycling): great group for weekend rides in the northern burbs plus you can get some good routes from their website
  4. Open Water Chicago: they swim in Lake Michigan ALL year, including winter; you can find them on Facebook
  5. Chicago Area Runners Association (CARA): lots of training programs and group runs along the Lake all year
  6. Chicago Blue Dolphins: you can get lessons to improve your stroke and/or join the training program (Fast Forward)
  7. Shops: Live Grit (also offers indoor cycling and group runs) or Element Multi-sport
Advice:
  1. Don't bike the Lakefront any more than necessary. There are plenty of open roads up north and the path is too crowded with runners and tourists.
  2. Do the Chicago Triathlon. It's a fun bike course, especially Lower Wacker. The Chicago Marathon is also awesome- fantastic way to see the city.
  3. Be aware that any triathlon that has the swim in Lake Michigan is a risk. The water temp can be 72 today and 57 tomorrow.
  4. Winter training is great. We runners get the Lakefront to ourselves and it's beautiful. The only thing is that bathrooms are scarce, so lay off the morning coffee before those long runs.

Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that WAC as in Women’s Athletic Club? IMO the best pool in the city is Ohio Street Beach :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to Chicago.

I've been running an endurance/triathlon training group at the Depaul University Lincoln Park gym for the past 15 years. It goes 2x from January to Summer. It's limited to 20 people and actually starts next week. It's a collection of misfit endurance toys from national champion rowers, KQ, BQ, the common man and first timers. We always get a solid core of returning folks with some fresh faces every year.

You get access to one of the best gyms in the city, next to the Fullerton Red Line and you get to train with good people week in, week out.

Here's the link.

https://resources.depaul.edu/campus-recreation/classes/Pages/specialty-fitness.aspx

It's the Endurance Class.

Todd

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some great info here. When the weather gets nice, take the trip up to the Lake Geneva area for great cycling and the cleanest open water for swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to Chicago. I just moved from there but loved the training environment. I still am coached and part of a Chicago based team Bishop Racing. Its a great group of people that has some very serious athletes but a spectrum across all experience levels. Daily group indoor sessions in the winter and summer out of Mox Multi-sport in the West loop. They do group runs and swims as well. Well-fit is strong in the area as well and worth a look as well but I cannot comment directly on them.

Pools / Gyms I used Formula Fitness Clubs, but didn't love their pool situation as it was shallow and most are less than 25 full yards. I often swam with the Chicago Masters group which has daily practices and most swims are in a 50M pool which was amazing. They offer a ton of options to morning and evening.

If you can live close to the lake for running its probably my #1 favorite thing about Chicago. Morning quite runs there if your an early bird are the best! Happy training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like this thread has covered triathlon type stuff pretty well. What are you into besides triathlon?

The Sep-Dec Chicago Cyclocross Series is one of the best in the nation. CAT 5 can be a little intimidating lining up at the back of 125 people. If you have cabin fever or want a smaller scene to try it out, Rockford has a 3 race spring cx series.

If you want to ride hills, there's nothing in the Midwest quite like the Horribly Hilly Hundreds ride a little west of Madison. Stay at your girlfriend's place then drive 30 minutes over to Mt. Horeb. Road Race Nationals has been on those roads a few times. The route is brutal. The finish is a couple miles averaging near 10%. Very well supported.

That's also close to some of the best gravel riding in existence. The 'driftless region' of the IA/IL/WI/MN corners is fantastic. There tends to be a lot of small (and often free) events in the Galena, Elizabeth, Stockton and Freeport areas. That scene is pretty non-existent east of Rockford. Comrade Cycles in Chicago usually has a good feel for what's going on in the gravel world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the cycling teams do a variation of the course on XXX’s website.

OWS can be great. There are more options than Ohio Street, but Ohio Street is the scene.

The 606 trail is a great running resource between Ashland and Lawndale, and Humboldt Park is pretty cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Is that WAC as in Women’s Athletic Club? IMO the best pool in the city is Ohio Street Beach :)

I was referring to West Loop Athletic Club which I just called WAC. Basically where Hoops was way back in the day - I think Jordan was known to play a pick up game or two there.

Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is probs the best advice. +1 but also check out wellfit.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in Chicagoland for a year and couldn't stand it. I don't want to be a "downer," but it just wasn't for me and I didn't enjoy it.

Hills - Barrington. However, drivers are aggressive, so ride with a camera.
Do Big Shoulders! It's an awesome race and the gem of the Chicago tri/swim/fitness scene.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barrington and Madison get all the love for riding outside of the city, but I think the best riding is along the state line. Way less traffic and you only need to drive about 45 minutes. Check out Starykowicz' Strava for some good long routes. You can get in a great century ride criss-crossing the state line between places like Twin Lakes, Richmond, Genoa and Hebron. Skip Lake Geneva in the summer and and swim/ride at Powers or Twin Lakes for less congestion.
Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BradC wrote:
Barrington and Madison get all the love for riding outside of the city, but I think the best riding is along the state line. Way less traffic and you only need to drive about 45 minutes. Check out Starykowicz' Strava for some good long routes. You can get in a great century ride criss-crossing the state line between places like Twin Lakes, Richmond, Genoa and Hebron. Skip Lake Geneva in the summer and and swim/ride at Powers or Twin Lakes for less congestion.

These are great suggestions. I second Lake Geneva area not being the best riding in the summer. ALL of us have problems with trucks/SUV's towing wide trailers with boats behind them and forgetting that when they pass. That makes up a surprising amount of the traffic mid morning through evening.
Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, although I haven't had too much trouble around Lake Geneva even in the summer - guess it depends on what route you take. Silver Lake is also a good destination, and heading N from there on B leads to some really sweet riding up near/around Bong. If you're looking to go longer, then Waterford and Alpine Valley are good destinations. Of course, if you're in Chicago, you'll have to launch from north/west of the city but there are a number of good locations, some accessible by train (Lake Forest/Lake Bluff, Libertyville, etc.).

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the shoutout Ron! :)

If I may puff up my city just a bit more!
Check out the City of Chicago Bike Page for an overview of all infrastructure.

The Active Transportation Alliance holds their season opener/fundraiser by shutting down Lake Shore Drive for Bike the Drive. They also publish the City of Chicago bike map, if you pop into our store (Live Grit) we have them they are free (many shops should have them).

The Chainlink is a local forum primarily focused on commuting, but also has local race scene info.

Don't forget the Northbrook Velodrome, you can learn how to ride at the track with a rented bike.

Illinois Cycling Association
is hub of all USAC racing.

Chicago Cyclocross Cup is the shit. I think the largest attendance of a cross series in the US.

Welcome to Chicago, it isn't always so butt cold (unofficial motto). But you will be wearing shoe covers and long tights until May.

Anne

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relocating to Chicago too early October. Albeit from Florida. Seems that the weather is going to be quite different and there is no cycling in shorts in December, or January, or February...heck it seems there is no cycling in shorts, ever!
Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In town from AZ to see family. It’s rained 4 days I think. 1 day above 70. Today it was 39 and raining when I woke up. Granted I’m on Lake Michigan so it’s colder here but still crazy for end of may. I think I’m the only person with tan lines. Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have been given some great advice so far- Intelligensia Cup is a blast and now runs 9 days 20-29th July - The Chicago Cross Cup is one of the best and most challenging in the midwest and the State Champs are on the sand dunes of the harbor- Tough!! :-) Also if you are into MTB - Palos has the best - and most undiscovered gem for very technical and challenging single track - The Palos Meltdown is one of the toughest MTB races I have ever done. Finally for MTB is the WORS - Wisconsin Off Road Race Series -another great series.

Well Fit is run by a great friend of mine and I encourage you to contact them for some great info.

Good Luck

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Just relocated to Chicago. Clueless about the scene here. [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take that over our typical north Central Florida summers ... 9 months of freaking heat and humidity, and the stupid hurricane season.
Quote Reply

Prev Next