Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: June swim thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had a look, the times are way softer than they were when Worlds were in Montreal in 2014. Possibly to encourage more entrants, Korea is a long way to go for most masters swimmers around the world. Just giving you a heads up that they’ll likely be a good bit quicker if they’re in Europe again.

Not sure where they are going to be in 2021, I’ll have to see if there’s been an announcement. Usually the host city would be selected by now, I think?

Edit- they’ll be in Fukuoka, Japan. There’s some strong masters swimmers over there, plus I think it’s relatively easy for our Australian friends to get to? I’d expect faster QTs for that meet, maybe not quite as quick as Montreal though.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 17, 19 20:08
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.5 mi run w/ 5k @ 7:53 pace
1525 yd swim

mostly goofing off... was tired
450 swim
50 kick
500 swim
50 kick
100 "fast" 1:16
50 kick
300 alt back/free by 50
25 kick c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn’t post about my swim on Saturday:

USMS 2mile Cable National Championship. 68-69° water, cold and rainy, wetsuits prohibited by the rules. The course was 1/4 mile out and back x 4. The start was a washing machine. I finished 5th OA, 48:xy. I was impressed that they used the same RFID technology as the FINA races: a chip on the wrist, time stops when to touch a pad built on a scaffold over the water. Good job by the organization!
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I didn’t post about my swim on Saturday:

USMS 2mile Cable National Championship. 68-69° water, cold and rainy, wetsuits prohibited by the rules. The course was 1/4 mile out and back x 4. The start was a washing machine. I finished 5th OA, 48:xy. I was impressed that they used the same RFID technology as the FINA races: a chip on the wrist, time stops when to touch a pad built on a scaffold over the water. Good job by the organization!

Nicely done!

I didn't swim yesterday (heading to the gym now), but I did get our backyard pool set up over the weekend. Kids christened it last night after work.

eta - got to the gym - 5 pullups in a row today. Woot!!

also knee felt fine after Monday. So extended session today to include 45 box jumps today in total, plus a couple sets of overhead squats with light weight (just the bar) to warm up. Plus other weight roomy stuff, 30 mins in total..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 19, 19 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5.5 mi run, 1275 yd swim, 3.3 mi run

5 x 100 on 1:30
5 x [50 kick + 100 fast] 1:15, 1:15, 1:14, 1:14, 1:13
25 kick c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2.5 mi run, 1575 yd swim, 3.3 mi run

13 x 100 (6 @ 1:30, 7 @ 1:25)
50 kick
200 swim
25 kick

lifeguard shut the clock off 5 min early, could've done more 100s on the 1:25

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2600m last night.

I tried to remember what we did, but there were so many little bits to it. The basic structure was an IM workout

warmup

repeat 3x [

3 x 150's doing different things
12x25 alternate free / fast stroke...
]

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of a dumb day yesterday.
Morning ocean swim of 2300 yards in sloppy wind chop. Followed that with a 3 mile run around noon.
That afternoon, I had a race – the first in the series of Summer Coveathlons, a 1k Swim/5k Run aquathlon. I had decided to do it SwimRun style, in my SwimRun wetsuit and shoes. I also decided to swim a lap in the gear prior to the race and then just a half mile run. I pretty well fatigued myself for the race, but I was in it just to do it.
In the past I would be one of the top 5 or so out of the water. I don’t think I was in the top fifteen with those darn shoes slowing me down. Still, my watch had me at a 1:12/100y pace. The fun part came at transition. While everyone spent time removing wetsuits and putting on shoes, I danced right through to the run. But, my run speed, these days is not all too good thanks to back and hip issues. A whole lot of people passed me, including Slowman, who started in the wave 1 minute after me. Ahh, well. I have a lot of friends there and they were all surprised and happy to see me out there after missing last year’s series, unable to run at all. The year prior, I was finishing every race in the top ten. Still enjoying it, though!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha!! I talked to dan last night and he told me about this guy in his swim/run gear, and I though what a Noob!!!I think you forgot that you dont get to use a buoy and paddles, which are the implements that overcome wearing shoes..You had no chance against Dan and Terry spotting them at least a minute and a half..

And it was kind of crazy, apparently Terry started in the first wave, while dan and yourself were in the AG wave, and dan just thought he had gotten 2nd. But at the end, they had the exact same time, so a virtual tie for the 60+ win. This is why I always say you have to race head to head within your AG. Since Dan outran him by a good bit, I presume he would have won that sprint, but we will never know..

I was planning on being there too, hoping to be the spoiler, but I was in Vegas going deep in a poker tourney, so doing my new pro sport..(-; Glad you are feeling better and well enough to train all morning and race at night, maybe rest for at least a 1/2 day before your next one.. (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get any funny looks for wearing shoes in the swim?

5 mi run and 1325 yd swim for me

500 w/u
50 kick
5 x [100 fast + 50 kick] held 1:15s
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get any funny looks for wearing shoes in the swim? //

I gave him a funny look when dan described the scene to mean the phone, think his girlfriend did the same. So certainly they stood out from the crowd.. (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
get any funny looks for wearing shoes in the swim?

Funny looks? By whom?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really sorry I had to miss that, back in the water this morning after a week off of everything, except sleep deprivation:

500s@8;00(7;08)2x300 50 brest/50 free@5;30(4;39/4;31)500 buoy@8;00(6;54)
4x100IM kick@2;00(1;55/54's)
1000 descending/negative split pull (13;06---6;39/6;27)
3000SCY
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wed:

main set of 5x300 descend on 4:00 (3:24-22-20-17-13)
then 3 rounds of 200 pull (paddles+buoy) followed by 50 strong kick no board. 200's were 2:09-07-05
total 3000scy

today:
1.5 mi run to the pool (current heat index at 107)
short and sweet main set of 5x100 hard and descend on 1:30 (1:02-01-00.8-00.2-59.3). total 1400 scy
1.5mi run back to the office, faster than first run

-----
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam 55 minutes straight in lake. 3 circuits in ~18, 18+ and 18+. I do miss the pace clock and fixed distances.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did nothing yesterday as I was still quite fatigued from some hard swimming and running leading up to my dismal, but not unexpected Coveathlon performance on Thursday. Coveathlon is a summer series of aquathlon races in Southern California consisting of a 1k Swim and 5k run. So, tried to get some life back into my old body for today’s race – The Seal Beach Roughwater Swim. This race has, every year I’ve swam it, lived up to its name. Three miles of chop and slop. This year, because it’s their 50th annual race, they reverted to the original course of swimming straight out to an oil rig and back.
I placed 1st in my age group. But, now I’m sore and tired and I’m going to take a nap.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I'm really sorry I had to miss that, back in the water this morning after a week off of everything, except sleep deprivation:

500s@8;00(7;08)2x300 50 brest/50 free@5;30(4;39/4;31)500 buoy@8;00(6;54)
4x100IM kick@2;00(1;55/54's)
1000 descending/negative split pull (13;06---6;39/6;27)
3000SCY

Hey Bonnie Spivey came to the swim meet in Toronto today. She swam 20.04 LCM

It was a fun meet. I had 10 events packed into 3.5 hrs

50 free a bit of a warmup 39
200 fly still waking up 3:40
100 free had to hold back with 400im next heat 1:28
400IM 7:26
50 fly 42...one heat break then
200 IM 3:39....I went too hard in 50 fly and paid then next heat was 100 fly....went same pace as 100 fly in 400IM 1:41....then next heat 400 free
...nothing left for that 6:28

30 min break then 800 as 800IM 15:26....then 5 min break and 1500 free....nothing left 26:04 (swam 23:34 scm a month ago)

Anyway 3800m of racing and a 6400m day. I have a 12km lake crossing swimming in 7 weeks with wetsuit so I should be in shape for that. My goal today was go under 7:20 in 400IM and under 15:30 in the 800IM. I also wanted to see if I could break my 50m SCM fly time in the 50LCM and I think I did, but I overcooked that 50 and paid during the 200IM and 100 fly and 400IM which all happened in the next 15min.

Basiclly it was like a timed interval workout today. I thought I would have more for the 1500m at the end but between not enough time to gee lunch and running out of food and emptying the tank in the 800m I was pretty well bonking before entering the 1500m. That final 1500m should be good practice for my 12K event
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ms. Spivey must've been off of her game a bit...three weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to swim in the lane next to her in the 1500. She swam a 19:57.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
Ms. Spivey must've been off of her game a bit...three weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to swim in the lane next to her in the 1500. She swam a 19:57.

She said that she was feeling off after the travel from the West coast (flew back to Toronto area to visit her mom) and with thing starting at 8 am or 5 am her time, she was feeling off all day. Also 1500 was the last event of the meet. I don't know how many events she raced, but she could have raced 8 events before (I raced 9 as I did the 800m and 1500m back to back heats). Her and Lynne Marshall swam the 1500m in the same 800m heat that I swam the 800 IM. After I was done, I only had 4ish minutes before the fast women got done in 20 flat and I had to dive in for my 1500m. Also I THINK a few of us doing the afternoon events were running out of gas. The lunch break was only 30 minutes so not enough time to go away and get anything and there was nothing to buy in the facility. If I look back I just blew my nutriton through the various events. I needed to be eating a bit in between during every break to make it to the 1500m with some calories in me. I think my nutrition today needed to be almost like a half Ironman given the length over which racing was going on and not really much opportunity to eat. It was basically continuous even if you swam 4-5 events (you would have just done longer cool downs between events0. So its possible she was just low on fuel by that point.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job Dev. If it were me, I would've scratched the 1500m at the end of the day. But you soldier on. Incredible stamina. Good luck in your upcoming OW race. You should come to USMS nationals in SoCal in early August.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ms. Spivey must've been off of her game a bit...three weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to swim in the lane next to her in the 1500. She swam a 19:57. //

Bonnie and I are pretty good friends, from back in the day, we worked together. I think the meet you are referring to she also set a national record, or around then, and it got tossed because they didn't have enough registered officials I believe. Not a timing issue, nothing else went wrong, just the meet didnt meet minimum guidelines, when they said they had. I'm gutted for her, because this was the last SCY meet of the season, and when you are in your 60's, its not just wait until next year. I mean maybe she can repeat, but each year in our age group is exponential as compared to when you are in your 30's and 40's. She just turned 60, and she got psyched to go after some very tough records, and it is super disappointing to get one, and have it yanked. I know this feeling, I would get it after being led off course while leading triathlons, taking my wins away from me, through no fault of my own..

I hope she can hang on for one more year and still be right there against the best ever, will be rooting for her...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perused the all-time 1500LCM top times on USMS for 60-64 women and Bonnie's 19:57 swim in Mission Viejo on June 2nd would be 5 seconds slower than the fastest swim in 2011. But I think she could beat the 19:52. That's nothing in a 1500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also she said she is going to ITU world's in Lausanne and going to the team Canada qual race in Edmonton for ITU world's Edmonton next year. So I replied to your post since I figured you and her would know each other well from leading tri swims in the 80's and 90's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey monty.

Your man Caeleb just dropped a 50.3 at the Mission Viejo meet in the 1fly. I predict MP's record goes down at Worlds....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't be betting against you on that one. He is going to break a lot of records before he is done with his career..
Quote Reply

Prev Next