Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: June swim thread [Precisionswim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome on board!
Now, do you want to tackle laps and lengths?
Fasten your seatbelts, kids!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha that actually drives me crazy also!
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hit the Y early this morn..
500 w/up as 25br+75fr
4x100 fr build pace
2x50 brth every 3 down, every 5 back
3x800 steady, avg 100s (1:49-1:54)
100 br,fr cl
3500 scm

Then ran 10.5mi.
May try and OWS tomorrow while the wife SUP, water temp is in the low 60’s. But the air temp tomorrow morning is predicted in upper 40s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4.5 mi run
1775 yd swim

5 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
12 x 100 on 1:25
75 easy c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3000 SCM this morning.

300 wu
6x50 descend 1-3
100 kick
2 x (
100 long and strong, 15s rest
100 descend by 25, 30s rest
100 fast, 60s rest) - I was supposed to go through this 7x but by the end of the 2nd I was completely gassed. Seriously thought of just going to the hottub! Instead....
100 kick ez
10 x 100 pull on 1:30. Started around 1:13s but then after 4 or 5 I started feeling really good and times dropped to 1:11.
100 ez kick
1 x (
100 long and strong, 15s rest
100 descend by 25, 30s rest

100 fast, 60s rest) - faster times than when I was trying earlier and sucking hard.
100 cd
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam in Folsom Lake yesterday. Water level is way up and it’s about 70°. More of a goof-around swim, but got in about 2000 yards wearing board shorts which acted like a drag suit – billowing pockets and all.
No swim today. Gonna meander about San Francisco zoo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endurance focus today. Ridiculously complicated workout, but the variation keeps it interesting.

WU:
500 SKIPS

Prep:
12x50 skull/build/easy/fast
100 easy
4x200 kick --> WTF
6x50 pull (6 cycles fast, 12 cycles easy)

MS:
5x200 (free/IM/back/IM/free) @ 3:30, I did 3:45 for the back and IM

CD:
300 pull (breathing every 7)
200 kick
100 swim

3900 LCM

Last long course practice for a while.
Next week I taper for Tremblant, and then taking a week to do some non-structured training.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ya, you are preaching to the choir here, we sorted all this stuff out 15 year ago. SCM,SCY,LCM are all common terms here, and we preface all out workouts by pointing out what we swam on that day. You can see that in the posted up workouts.

As to what pool is what, there really is no difference here on outdoor or indoor(US that is). Most outdoor short course are not meters, most pools in general in the us are set up as SCY. Even the 50 meter pools are set up in SCY to get more lanes available a lot of the time. Sure there are SCM pools here and there, but overwhelmingly you will be swimming SCY or LCM in US pools. Never mind the 33 and 100 yard pools that are still around.

And plenty of triathlons swim in miles too, in fact most of the athletes swim in miles. 1.2 for 70.3's and 2.4 for 140.6's.

Welcome to the forum, hope you can participate here in the fishes thread, we have a pretty good team here...

This is why I smirk a bit seeing my strava feed and most of them (in the US) being converted to yards from meters.
Last edited by: Bioteknik: Jun 14, 19 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No swim today. Gonna meander about San Francisco zoo.

oooh!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I might participate a bit here - now and then as the spirit moves me.

I've never swam competitively so I don't have the discipline to grind out sets at the local SCY YMCA pool. But I do have access to open water behind the house, I've measured the distance between the docks for a 200m piece so that I can do intervals and the full circuit is right at 1 mile. The local Tri Club does a Wednesday evening swim every week and there's an informal Friday morning OWS mile at a different beach.

I generally expect to average about 1 yard per second OWS so that puts my mile at around 30 min depending on conditions. Having never been coached I have to absorb whatever information I can from YouTube University and ST. I have seen some improvements even as my age is catching up with me. Any time that happens it's a win.

A light week for me today, my right shoulder is becoming problematic but last night I picked up a technique tip from Effortless Swimming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DthI1O398XA that improved my stroke mechanics a bit and was a lot easier on the shoulder.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8.6 mi run including a 5k race (24:20), 3rd place female overall, $75 cash prize :-)
1425 yd swim goofing off

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Masters workout
2x150S, 2x100S warmup.

Main set
2x(8x25K on 25s, 50 ez on 1:40),
5x(25 on 1:00, 50 on 1:10, 75 on 1:20),
100 (on 1:30), 150 (on 2:15), 200 (on 3:00), 150 (on 2:15), 100 (on 1;30) pull with paddles/buoy.

50 warmdown.

2450scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2667 yards in Folsom Lake at Granite Bay. The water is a very pleasant 73°, but a bit windy/choppy. It’s gonna get over 90° today, so before the swim, we got in a short 8 mile ride by the lake – same route as the Granite Bay Triathlon.

Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vijeet88 wrote:
Endurance focus today. Ridiculously complicated workout, but the variation keeps it interesting.

WU:
500 SKIPS

Prep:
12x50 skull/build/easy/fast
100 easy
4x200 kick --> WTF
6x50 pull (6 cycles fast, 12 cycles easy)

MS:
5x200 (free/IM/back/IM/free) @ 3:30, I did 3:45 for the back and IM

CD:
300 pull (breathing every 7)
200 kick
100 swim

3900 LCM

Last long course practice for a while.
Next week I taper for Tremblant, and then taking a week to do some non-structured training.

Hey I did 10x100m breathing every 7 on first 75 and every 9 on last 25 on 1:50. Alternated pullbuoy and without. It was kind of fun.

Best of luck at Tremblant. I was going to head up and watch and do a big swim + bike day and volunteer on Sunday but I am going to head to Toronto for a long course swim meet....should be fun. You can do as many events as you want so I am going to try this as you get to do choice 50-200-100-400 in session one and session two

50 free
200 fly
100 free
400IM

break
50 fly
200IM
100 fly
400 free

break

If I survive its ONLY 3800m of racing which is mainly a warmup for all the triathlon studs
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big week (for me)

5 swims
23k (more or less)
capped with a 3 mile open water swim this am.

was not my best by far this am but man did i try hard. Some days... its just a struggle.
Today it was. 70min for 3miles.....

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masters workout - LCM

2x150 warmup.
Main set of 2x(25/25, 50/50, 75/75; technique/free),
4x50K on 1:15, 5x100K on 2:00.
Pull with buoy only (400 on 6:00, 300 on 4:30, 200 on 3:00, 100 on 1:30),
4x(50 ez on 1:30, 3x50 descend 1-3 on 1:20, 1:10, 1:00, 0:50).

100 warmdown.

Most of the kicks and the last part of the main set was supposed to be done with different strokes. For me, it's always a freestyle day.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a nice little swim this afternoon. 200 pace workout

800 skps
100 kick
4x50 d1-4 on 60
100 ez
4x50!IM order drill / swim
100 ez kick
4x50 d1-4 w/ fins
100 ez

200 swim for time 2:19 - died the last 50
(This was the base for the rest of the practice, (200Time - 10)/4 = target 50 pace = 32.2 ( round to 32)
100 ez
4x50 on 1:30 holding target (not quite there, 33’s and 34’s)
100 kick ez
3x50 on 1:30 holding target (32’s)
100 ez
2x50 on 1:30 hold target-1 (32, 31)
100 ez
50 all out (29 high)
100 ez

4x25 fly smooth on :30

400 kick & talk ez warmdown

3500 SCM

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
Big week (for me)

5 swims
23k (more or less)
capped with a 3 mile open water swim this am.

was not my best by far this am but man did i try hard. Some days... its just a struggle.
Today it was. 70min for 3miles.....

daved

Hey where did you swim open water. I need to get out there soon. I have the 12K swim in Tremblant long weekend in August, but I want to do the 8km double lake crossing at Meech Lake on Canada day on July 1, so I really need to get in the wetsuit at least once before July 1.

Are you going to be at the meet at the Etobicoke Olympium next weekend. It will exactly 1 year since being run over by a bus. I am planning to 10 events to celebrate not being dead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam first OWS race in 30+ years. It was a “long” mile (~1.1 to 1.2). Didn’t “find some feet” so swam solo for last 3/4 of race: passed no one and no one passed me. 15 seconds behind swimmer in front of me 1 second in front of swimmer behind. Good test and have got some things to work on that will keep training fresh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost felt like a real "tri" training day. 3 hour ride in the morning with 3600 ft of vertical. Evening was a 4000m swim throwing in a variety of stuff, but mainly easy. I just need to keep swim volume up before the 12K Lac Tremblant Lake crossing in early Aug. I think I have been slipping below 20km per week lately due to work schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got back in the weight room today, I had been out for a couple of weeks (just busy at work). Strength seems to be pretty much right where I left off, but switched up the routine a bit. Well, to be honest, I switch up the routine every time I get in the weight room, I don't like repeating sessions. I get bored.

Today I dropped the weight and bumped the number of reps to 20 per side, per set.

Also, the knee finally feels healthy enough to test it, did a set of 15 box jumps, no issues so far, but didn't want to push it beyond that. We'll see how it feels tonight.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did weights for the first time in 20 years this afternoon. Probably won't be able to lift my arms out of the water on Wednesday morning when I go to the pool...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that’s gonna suck for a little while. Now I’m at the point where I can do weights at lunch and swim in the evening with no adverse effects.

Tri club wrapped up the indoor swim sessions last week, they started open water today but too early for me to make it. So I’m back with masters.

Tonight

Warmup 4x 250 (1-swim, 2- pull (alt pull andscull by 50) 3- breathe 5 every other length) 4- kick)

Main set
4 x 125 @:30s rest (on lengths 1,3,5 max 3 breaths)
4x100 @1:45 hold 800 pace (1:12’s)
4x75 (25 IM, 50 free) @20s rest
4x50 @ :60 (1 ez,1fast,1st 2 fly, 2nd 2 free)
50 ez kick
4x25 fly @:30

Warmdown
8x50 @:55 ascend by 2’s

Extra 50 kick to make it 3000 m total

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am trying to do at least 10-15 min of weights every night. I pretty well have a full gym in my basement...all kinds of weights, computrainer, Concept2, Woodway treadmill, spin bike, elliptical....its all there. You could work out for 5 hrs in my basement and not get bored. I am just missing a Concept 2 Ski Erg and Vasa swim erg.

Today was a full tri training day.....40 min run in the morning, 3400m swim at lunch, 25K steady hilly ride in the evening.

I am heading to Etobicoke Olympium this weekend for their Master World's prep long course meet. I checked out the FINA Masters worlds times for my next age group (next year race in 55-59) and it looks like I can hit most of the qual times in the longer fly and IM events and all the long free events. Not that it makes a difference, but maybe in 2 years it sounds like a fun meet where you can hang out with athletes from all over the world
Quote Reply

Prev Next