Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: June swim thread [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, last week I found out that our only local swim shop (Artistic Sole - its a dancewear and swim shop) is going to be closing sometime this summer. :-(

I went there on the weekend and picked up a couple of new speedos (Arena) new fins (Speedo switchblades, they seem more flexible than my old ones which I need), and a spare set of Finis swedes. Oh, and a new cap with a lightning bolt on it. Just realized that I'm not sure whether I can safely swim in it though, water and lightning don't mix well...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Vaulter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vaulter wrote:
I figured this would be a good spot to ask the question.

I have been swimming for about a year now at the same pool, but unfortunately it is closed for renovations until early September. I went for a my normal lunch swim at a new pool to check it out. I only got about half of my swim in due to taking longer to get to the pool.

250 warm up
8 x 25 kick drills
7 x 100
2 x 200(was supposed to be more intervals but this is where i had to cut it short).

My question...The pool had no lane markers out. Every one was just lined up on the black lines in the pool. Made the pool much more choppy too.

Is it normal for pools to have lap swimming without lane markers?

The pool that's closest to my house never puts in lane markers for lap swims. Which is fine for them as it tends to be older folks swimming heads up breaststroke, but it doesn't work too well for me. I've swum there once, about 7 years ago, I was a little worried that I'm going to clobber someone. So I switched pools to the one that's more of a competition / training focus, even though it's further away.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
post a decent run on the fish thread as it appears this type of behaviour is accepted arouond here.
No, it's not. Take that shit off of here. We tolerate it from TC (she's beyond help...) but expect better from you....

I started these threads so I make the rules ;-)

7.2 mi run w/ 2.2 @ 8:00, 3 @ 8:00, 1 @ @ 7:41

1625 yd swim

swim was
16 x 100 on 1:30
25 kick c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The legendary Erik Vendt - one of his workouts from June 2007. This is in LCM....

Warm up
1200 as 3x [200 free breathe alternating sides by 50 + 200 IM drill]

Kick
400 cruise @8:00
6Ă—100 best average @1:45 (Vendt averaged 1:14.8)

Pre-set
2x [200 IM drill @3:30 + 4Ă—50 free Fast/Easy @1:00]

Main set
5Ă—300 @3:50 (avg: 3:22)
5Ă—300 @3:40 (avg: 3:19)
5Ă—300 @3:30 (avg: 3:11, last one 3:05)

Warm-Down/Recovery
600 with snorkel as 4x [50 free, 50 kick with arms at side, 50 breaststroke]

Summary - 3000m to warm up for main set, 4500m main set, 600 warmdown - total 8100m.

https://swimswam.com/...00s-with-erik-vendt/

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Vaulter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it normal for pools to have lap swimming without lane markers? /

Usually not municipal pools, but HOA and club pools often dont have lane ropes. I swim most of my swimming without them, but never more than two in the pool. It does get bumpy at times, especially when I do fly, but that just make you tougher, and ready of OW.. Did an easy one pacing dan yesterday at the high desert, so did have lane lines!!

5x100@1;35(1;24 to 1;20). 2x100IM kick@2;00(1;55/53)
500 buoy only@9;00(7;06)2x300 as 50 breast/50 free@5;00(4;28/4;24)500 buoy(6;58)--this is dans bread and butter set right now, he just beat the 1;30 pace barrier and is going for the 1;24. I think he is plus 14 seconds on that 1;24 pace for the entire set..
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6x25 drills
2x50 swim
2x100 single-arm drill

37x50 (20s) on 1:10

100cd
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shaw’s Cove buoy is about 100 yards offshore. We couldn’t see it in the thick fog. So, of course, stupidly, we go out anyway. And, of course, we find ourselves unable to find the buoy or the shore!
Nevertheless, we swam about, turned where I thought I should turn to head in the buoy’s direction only to find myself way past it and in the next cove over. I had to swim back outside to get around a reef then back in towards, I was hoping, the buoy. Found it as the fog lifted a little. We regrouped and discussed another precarious lap since the fog was lifting. As we discussed, it came back on thick. Time to head to shore before it disappears! All safe! Around 1800 yards.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming in fog like that is sketchy and freaky!

3000 scm this morning.
300 wu
100kick
200 pull
7 x (
4 x 50 on :45, descend (:37 to :33)
100 as 50 T pace/50 fast (1:12/13)
)
300 cd
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hit the pool hard this AM and it felt great. Focus was on 100 Race Pace. In a Long Course pool, that's super fun and can be quite the all out effort

WU:
200 swim/200 kick/100IM

Prep: 2 x
100 skull/100 pull/100 kick/ 2x 150 drill

MS: 4x
50m all out for 15 strokes, then easy into the wall @ 1:15
50m at 100m race pace @ 1:15
3 x 100m IM @ 3:10

CD:
4x150 easy

3900 LCM
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday late afternoon...
400 w/up as 75fr+25br
5x50 as 25 steady+25 build
12x100 15sec RI
600 pull
150 ez
2600 scm
Last edited by: Blmgtnbkr: Jun 12, 19 12:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SCY
300S/300K/300P
15x100 on 1:30 (1:17-20)
6x50 on 1:15
5x100P in 1:30 1:14-5)
8x25 IM order on 40 (17-21)
100 warm down

Swam in lake for 40 minutes on Monday. Was angling to the left, so have to straighten out my stroke, or aim more to the right. Have no idea what water temp was, but it was 62 10 days ago. Didn’t feel too cold. Lots of solar warming this week on top layer of water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warmup was 400 swim 200 kick 200 pull
Then various short kick and pull sets to get ready for main set

Main set :
4x300 on 4:15 hold smooth pace. 3:58, 4:05, 4:05, 3:53

Warm-down 10 x50 on increasing off time (2 on 50, then 55, 60, 65). Last 2 swim with fins to test them out, much better than my old ones.

Total 3200m in 57 min

Edit to fix typos...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 12, 19 18:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for not participating more. Work has been really busy and doing a bit more biking and running. But I am still swimming 6x per week.

Today was a cool workout. 400m warmup, 4x200IM build (last one was hard), 400m kick with fins

Then main workout was

1x1500 as 10x(50fly+100 free)

Before I started I decided I should pace it for "time". I figured I can do 50 flys around 50 seconds and then recover a bit during the first 15m of free and then pick it up for the next 85 meters before starting the next round. I figured that 1:36-1:42 should be doable depending on if I did the fly in 48 seconds vs 52. In any case this should add up to 2:30 per 50 fly-100 free, and the final time should be 25 minutes.

So I started it off and held back expecting the hammer to fall on my back during the final third, but I was able to take the fly legs a bit faster for the last 4. I ended up in in 24:49. My 1500 free at nationals was 23:34, so this was not too bad!

It was a fun segment and my pacing worked out nearly perfect, but maybe its because I was sandbagging and could have taken the free harder.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yesterday 11 mi run
today 10k run + 1675 yd swim

4 x 400 on 6:00 desc 5:51, 5:35, 5:28, 5:20
75 easy c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
yesterday 11 mi run
today 10k run + 1675 yd swim

4 x 400 on 6:00 desc 5:51, 5:35, 5:28, 5:20
75 easy c/d

Hey, I have an 11 min treadmill run to report this morning (not 11 mile yet). I have a 12km lake crosssing swim in 7 weeks so I need to get serious about swimming again...all this triathlon stuff is messing up with my attempt to be a fish!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yards vs. meters. This is something I see mixed up very often. If you are swimming in an indoor pool in the United State 95% of the time it will be a yard pool. If you are swimming in an outdoor short-course pool in the US there is a good chance it is meters. If you are swimming in a long-course pool it will always be in meters. If you are swimming in a triathlon or open water swim it will be in meters. All US high school and NCAA swimming is done in yards. It is very important to know the difference between all of these because the time differences are huge. If you swim 200 yards (8 lengths) in a yard pool and go 2:00. That would convert to a 2:13 in a meters pool. I see people post a lot that they did a certain number of meters when in reality they swam yards. Hope this helps clear things up.

Precisionswimming.com
Guided Swim Training Program
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Precisionswim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Precisionswim wrote:
Yards vs. meters. This is something I see mixed up very often. If you are swimming in an indoor pool in the United State 95% of the time it will be a yard pool. If you are swimming in an outdoor short-course pool in the US there is a good chance it is meters. If you are swimming in a long-course pool it will always be in meters. If you are swimming in a triathlon or open water swim it will be in meters. All US high school and NCAA swimming is done in yards. It is very important to know the difference between all of these because the time differences are huge. If you swim 200 yards (8 lengths) in a yard pool and go 2:00. That would convert to a 2:13 in a meters pool. I see people post a lot that they did a certain number of meters when in reality they swam yards. Hope this helps clear things up.

Precisionswimming.com

Umm, you do know the audience on this thread, right? No one here is confused between yards and metres.

Ah, just your second post....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, you are preaching to the choir here, we sorted all this stuff out 15 year ago. SCM,SCY,LCM are all common terms here, and we preface all out workouts by pointing out what we swam on that day. You can see that in the posted up workouts.

As to what pool is what, there really is no difference here on outdoor or indoor(US that is). Most outdoor short course are not meters, most pools in general in the us are set up as SCY. Even the 50 meter pools are set up in SCY to get more lanes available a lot of the time. Sure there are SCM pools here and there, but overwhelmingly you will be swimming SCY or LCM in US pools. Never mind the 33 and 100 yard pools that are still around.

And plenty of triathlons swim in miles too, in fact most of the athletes swim in miles. 1.2 for 70.3's and 2.4 for 140.6's.

Welcome to the forum, hope you can participate here in the fishes thread, we have a pretty good team here...
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forgot about the oddball 20y pools like at the old "Y" here. 3 lanes, 20 yards. Get good at turns quick....

Last year I swam in a 100y pool for the first time. pretty cool spot, but I had no sense for whether my times were good or if I was swimming like crap...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 13, 19 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You forgot about the oddball 20y pools like at the old "Y" here. 3 lanes, 20 yards. Get good at turns quick....

Last year I swam in a 100y pool for the first time. pretty cool spot, but I had no sense for whether my times were good or if I was swimming like crap...

Do studs like you and Monty even come up for air in 20 yard pool. 15m dolphin barely leaves 3 yards of swimming...then it's back to dolphin under water
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was not trying to offend anyone. I have just seen a lot of confusion for those that are not as familiar with swimming, thought that post might actually help. It's clear you all know your stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Precisionswimming.com

As much as I'd like to think I were confused and the 400 times I reported today were scm or lcm, they're unfortunately yards. But welcome to our sandbox, as it were. As others have indicated, this is thread is basically ex-college fish (and dev) who win the race to T1...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Was not trying to offend anyone. I have just seen a lot of confusion for those that are not as familiar with swimming, thought that post might actually help. It's clear you all know your stuff.

I suggest you start a different thread that helps people clear up "lap" vs "length" :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Precisionswim wrote:

Oh, no offense taken. I'm on my lunch break at work, so responses are short. back to meetings in 10 mins.....

I actually tried checking out your site, but work firewall is blocking it. I'll take a peek when I get home.

Welcome, we'd love to have you contribute to our little community. Most triathletes seem to dislike the swim (why duathlons aren't more popular is a mystery to me...) so it's nice to have more swimmers on board.

OK, that used up 4 of my 10 mins....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to big goose eggs for me.

I do want to start SUPing but the temp at the res is 48 and air temps usually in the 60s. But i'm okay with summer taking awhile to get here, means super lush spring green is being had in spades.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply

Prev Next