Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: June swim thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I read it as 7x100 on 1:40, break, then another 7x100 on 1:40

What is this break thingy you speak of?? (-;

He had to wait for the pool to be cleared. Safety first, ya know.
The ocean is returning to normal. After a few days where it dropped into low 50s, it’s almost back to 60°. And, it’s clearing up. It’s been weeks of nearly no viz and now 6-10 feet of it. There’s still a lot of garibaldis out there! Almost 3600 yards this morning.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
monty wrote:
You now the old threads I miss, the bike fits ones in a guys garage, and over 1/2 the posts were commenting on the garage and whatever was in the background, the finest details..So I was looking at your swim yesterday and saw this detail;

2 x (7 x 100 @ 1:40, held 1:19-20

So how is what you swam different than 14x100's@1;40? I could understand if it was two descending sets, resetting at 8, but seems you just swam them all the same??

Still in my funk, muddled through some yardages to keep current;

500/400/300/200/100 buoy@1;30(7;15/5;40/4;10/2;43/1;18)
5x100IM kick@2;00(1;55 to 1;49)
500p@7;30 easy(6;43)
10x50 brest free@1;00-6 swim(45/43/42/41/40/38)4 kick(52's)
3000SCY

Yeah, no one ever comments on wallpaper or the guys cat on the windowsill anymore.

I read it as 7x100 on 1:40, break, then another 7x100 on 1:40

ETA. Just read a disconcerting email from masters swimming Canada (MSC). Seems that Swimming Canada and the Provincial Swimming Organizations are severing ties with MSC, so losing sanctioning status. What that means, I really don’t know. Could be that there’s no national championship next year, but it seems like it’s all up in the air and no one has an actual plan.

From what i understand there is a Masters Swimming Nationals planned in Etobicoke...who is sanctioning that I have no clue? Is Swim Canada just going to put it on?

Ok, last two days my "main set" was 5x400IM on 8 minutes. yesterday was coming in at 7:20 to 7:25 leaving on 8 minutes. Today I descended intially starting at 7:35 and then bringing it down to 7:05, however I was using finger paddles so a bit more catch then bare hands.

I used the opportunity to do one of the strokes 'hard' along with free 'hard' and the other two strokes were steady/recovery depending on where it was in the sequence. This is so awesome. I am doing most of these repeats in the range of my PB from 3 months ago!
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ocean is returning to normal. After a few days where it dropped into low 50s, it’s almost back to 60°//

That's good news, I hope it keeps going to at lest mid 60's by next Wednesday. A buddy is going to try and do the Catalina double crossing, it will be murder if the water stays this temp, or gets even worse. He is a great cold water swimmer, did the Farallon swim a few times I think, but this is going to be 22+hours or so. That is a very long time to be in 60 degree water..

You doing the coveathlon coming up in a couple weeks??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first channel swimmer just went off. Temperatures ranged from 60-64. Something like a 10:45 swim. That’s a great time, but I couldn’t do that long in that temperature!
Heidi & I are thinking of doing the Coveathlon as a relay (me swim, even though she’s just as fast or faster), but she has a knee problem right now so I may do the whole thing.

Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
[

ETA. Just read a disconcerting email from masters swimming Canada (MSC). Seems that Swimming Canada and the Provincial Swimming Organizations are severing ties with MSC, so losing sanctioning status. What that means, I really don’t know. Could be that there’s no national championship next year, but it seems like it’s all up in the air and no one has an actual plan.

From what i understand there is a Masters Swimming Nationals planned in Etobicoke...who is sanctioning that I have no clue? Is Swim Canada just going to put it on?

s ago!

Apparently that event is in jeopardy. That was organized by MSC. We will still have local events (at least in this province) which will be sanctioned by SNC, but the status of nationals is unclear

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
[

s ago!

Apparently that event is in jeopardy. That was organized by MSC. We will still have local events (at least in this province) which will be sanctioned by SNC, but the status of nationals is unclear

Did you read the statement from Swimming Canada? It makes the situation seem less dire and they just aren't going to collect membership fees for MSC directly.

---

Swimming Canada has worked closely with MSC to establish an effective working relationship, however, consistent challenges have persisted, despite efforts from everyone to make the relationship fully functional.
Effective September 1, 2019, Swimming Canada will no longer facilitate registration directly with Masters Swimming Canada. Swimming Canada and our provincial sections will continue to register all masters members and affiliated clubs. This change will have little impact and members will still receive the full benefits of membership they have received in the past from Swimming Canada, including access to sanctioned competitions, insurance, and coach, official and club development. Those members who would like to continue to participate in the MSC programs can still register directly with MSC.
To support these changes, Swimming Canada will establish a dedicated position to support masters swimming and programming by September 1, 2019. Swimming Canada and our provincial sections are committed to continuing to serve our masters membership. Any questions on these changes can be directed to Swimming Canada at questions@swimming.ca.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will have to continue to follow the news on that. This winter, I was planning to up my swim volume and nationals was a good goal to train for.

Body was feeling a bit beat up after the past few weeks. 2x half marathons within 7 days, plus a corporate sprint relay and lots of biking since I picked up my new baby. This weekend will have to drink some extra wine to help my body recover...

This AM: Snuck away from the main group and did 10x200m @3:15 half with the pull bouy, half without. LCM.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lunch swim 2000 scm. 10x200 on 3:00. Started with 2:38s, finished with 2:31s
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SCY
300S(3:58), 300K, 300P(3:45)
Continuous IM set:
5x200 on 3:30 (2:55-57)
5x100 on 1:45(1:27-30)
8x50 on 60 (36-45)

6x50k IM order on 1:15
6x50 Free on 50 (35-38)
100 cool down
3500 Total
Felt good for Friday, usually my “tired” day.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
200wu,
2x50 drill,
2x100 la/ra/sw,
20x100 (20) on 2:05
4x100 (20) on 2:05

Funny on Wednesday I was whipped after 15x100. Today I felt ok after 24x, I had a hard stop at 7pm or I'd have kept going to 30x.

My goal is to get up to 40x100 and maybe 60x50?, then I'll transition to following the usrpt protocol. I'd also like to get closer to 5k as my definition of a long workout. I have thoughts of doing doing the nye 10k (100x100 or whatever) swim this year.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 7, 19 19:35
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3819 yards (2.2 miles) in the ocean. No wetsuit, low 60s and I pushed it. 51:36 or 1:21/100y pace. I'm pretty happy with that. Equal to about a 57 minute Ironman swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longest run in "forever"....2K jog to the track, 12x400m with 100m easy, 2x1000m with 500m easy, 1km easy at track, 2K jogging to base of hill near my house, 5x2min up + 90 second down, 2K jog back home ~17km

I will bike to the pool and go swim later in case anyone confuses me for being a runner, but I wanted to do the Tigerchik thing and post a decent run on the fish thread as it appears this type of behaviour is accepted arouond here.

I am thinking about entering the Demi Esprit half IM in Montreal in September. I think that one is the closest thing to doing a pool swim+computrainer ride+treadmill run which may suit me best.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had to navigate kid swim lessons in the shallow end this morning, have to go earlier I suppose now that summer is here. SO just did a bunch of 100's, so I could keep track of the kids, and not run over the little tikes:

10x100s@1;35(1;22 to 1;19)
12x100-6 paddles only@1;30(1;18/17's)6IM kick@2;05(1;54 to 1;49)
5x100p@1;25 descend(1;16/15/14/14/12)
10x50 dolphin @1;05(56/55's) this was hard
200 flutter(3;47)
3400SCY

I'm going to try and dial in my 100 consistency, got some wetsuit tests coming up soon..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Had to navigate kid swim lessons in the shallow end this morning, have to go earlier I suppose now that summer is here. SO just did a bunch of 100's, so I could keep track of the kids, and not run over the little tikes:

10x100s@1;35(1;22 to 1;19)
12x100-6 paddles only@1;30(1;18/17's)6IM kick@2;05(1;54 to 1;49)
5x100p@1;25 descend(1;16/15/14/14/12)
10x50 dolphin @1;05(56/55's) this was hard
200 flutter(3;47)
3400SCY

I'm going to try and dial in my 100 consistency, got some wetsuit tests coming up soon..

Hey Monty, your 10x50m dolphin on 1:05 coming in on 55, how much of this is above vs under water. I do this with 5 dolphin kicks on my stomach for each breath.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.3 mi run w/ 4 mi progressive 7.0 to 7.3 mph, final 2 miles at 7.5 mph
1075 yd swim

400 w/u, kick the last 50
4 x [100 fast + 50 kick] 1:16, 1:15, 1:14, 1:15
75 swim c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty, your 10x50m dolphin on 1:05 coming in on 55, how much of this is above vs under water. I do this with 5 dolphin kicks on my stomach for each breath. //

I use a kick board on all my kicks, so none of it underwater. But I do hold myself to a no arm pull standard, kick all the way to the wall, and of course dont even have any lane lines to pull on!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SCY
300S (3:57)/300K/300P(3:45)
4x200 on 3:00 (2:36-9)
1 min rest
4x150 on 2:45 (1:56-9)
1 min rest
4x100 on 1:30 (1:16-9)
1 min rest
4x50 on 50 (35-8)
6x50k in 1:15
8x25 on 30 (16-8)
100 cool down
3500 Total.
Feeling good in the water for 2nd day in a row. Swimming outdoors so much better than indoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunday: 14 mi run

today 6.7 mi run + 1225 yd swim

5 x 100 on 1:35
50 kick
200 fast 2:36
50 kick
200 fast 2:34
50 kick
200 fast 2:33
25 kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam Friday morning (3000m but I forgot to write it out and now I can’t remember for the life of me what it was.

Monday evening
Warmup
300 swim, 300 pull, 300 kick
4x150 odds free, evens non free (fly drill, back, br by 50)
8x50 drill , 2 of each stroke
4x100 odds free on 1:30 evens IM with last 25 fly on 1:45
100 smooth
4x50 odds free evens fly on 50
Warmdown 100s 100k 100s

2900m total

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [tomoffat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had the time over the weekend to update this as I was competing, so here's a dump of the last three sessions I've done:

Friday AM:
1000 general warm up

6x200 as 125 build @ 2:00, 75 max @ 2:30
6x150 as 75 fkob, 75 hyp 5/7

100 easy

Friday PM:
600 warm up

20x50 @ 1:30 as 50 dive fs, 50 easy, 50 dive form, 50 easy

2x50 max (1 fs, 1 form: 26.xx fs, 27.1 form)

100 easy

Saturday was race day, dropped 0.1 on my 100 fly SCM in a pretty terrible pool, so I'm fairly happy with that

Tuesday AM:
300 FS/BK
6x50 as odds: drill, evens dps @ 1:15
3x100 as 50 kick/ 50 swim desc 1-3 @ 2:15

4x200 as 50 free/50 form dps @ 4:00
8x100 @ TH
6x150 IM-free @ 2:30

100 easy

Disclaimer: Not a triathlete anymore, just a fish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, have you ever tried fly kick on your back? I'm guessing you're outside though so maybe that isn't amazingly practical?

Disclaimer: Not a triathlete anymore, just a fish
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [tomoffat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomoffat wrote:
Out of curiosity, have you ever tried fly kick on your back? I'm guessing you're outside though so maybe that isn't amazingly practical?

Yup. I do that fairly regularly. It’s no harder (navigationally) than swimming backstroke outdoors

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Longest run in "forever"....2K jog to the track, 12x400m with 100m easy, 2x1000m with 500m easy, 1km easy at track, 2K jogging to base of hill near my house, 5x2min up + 90 second down, 2K jog back home ~17km

I will bike to the pool and go swim later in case anyone confuses me for being a runner, but I wanted to do the Tigerchik thing and post a decent run on the fish thread as it appears this type of behaviour is accepted arouond here.

I am thinking about entering the Demi Esprit half IM in Montreal in September. I think that one is the closest thing to doing a pool swim+computrainer ride+treadmill run which may suit me best.

Dev

Hey Dev. I did that last year, Olympic Distance. I would agree with your assessment. It's a very easy swim in the olympic basin (would hardly call it open water), flat bike and flat run. Great organization, close to the city, and also a very decent price.

My issue is that it's the most boring course I've ever done. The bike is multiple laps of Circuit Gilles Villenueve, where I train on weekdays, but there is no part of the course where you can look around and admire the scenery. It would also be incredibly repetitive for the long course (70.3). The run is even worse. Multiple laps around the olympic basin. No shade, so it can get pretty warm on a hot day.

I signed up at the last minute as I was a minute off my goal time for the year and needed a mental win. But just be forewarned about the monotony of the course, especially for a five hour race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
post a decent run on the fish thread as it appears this type of behaviour is accepted arouond here.

No, it's not. Take that shit off of here. We tolerate it from TC (she's beyond help...) but expect better from you....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured this would be a good spot to ask the question.

I have been swimming for about a year now at the same pool, but unfortunately it is closed for renovations until early September. I went for a my normal lunch swim at a new pool to check it out. I only got about half of my swim in due to taking longer to get to the pool.

250 warm up
8 x 25 kick drills
7 x 100
2 x 200(was supposed to be more intervals but this is where i had to cut it short).

My question...The pool had no lane markers out. Every one was just lined up on the black lines in the pool. Made the pool much more choppy too.

Is it normal for pools to have lap swimming without lane markers?
Quote Reply

Prev Next