Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: June swim thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USMS 2 mile OWS is scheduled for June 15th, plenty of slots available.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I’ve got a local OWS race in Boston I’ve committed to/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(capped at 100 swimmers per race). //

Is this really right?? I cant believe they limit OW races to just 100 swimmers, you sure it is not a 100 per age group? That just seem weird. I will be doing a 2 mile here in CA in august, the Hermosa to Manhattan pier swim, with about 1300. That used to get really crazy, but now they have separate mens and women starts. So it eliminated about 5 people from my scrum in the mens race to the fist buoy...)-;
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was surprised by the 100 entrants per race cap, but it’s pretty clear when you go to register on the USMS website. I’m on a “wait list”, but won’t be counting on that. It does seem odd. No qualifying times, just first come first served and have to site your “experience” that qualifies you for a 3 mile OWS ( but no actual race results required).
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warmup 200 swim 200 k 200 pull

8x50 odds drill evens swim
8x25 (easy, fast, easy, flat out, twice through)
100 easy kick

3x (4x75 1st 3 desc1-3, 1smooth @1:15). Fast ones were approx 50s each, clocks slightly out of sync)

2x100 kick on 2:00
3x100 pull on 1:45
200 easy kick warmdown

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9.5 mi run as 2 mi w/u, 7.5 mi @ 8:13/mi
875 yd swim

50 kick
50 kick
25 kick

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last night:

250WU
200 pull
10x100m on 2:10
250 CD

Looking for a little advice. I have a 70.3 late august and it's my first year training, been in the pool since December. Is there much else I should be doing in the pool besides 50/100/200m repeats? I know I've seen it said a few times here that triathletes don't swim nearly hard enough so I'm trying to push myself a bit as I build towards the race. I know I'm not really ready for drill work, but I've brought my 100m threshold from 2:30 to 2:00 in about six months and feeling ok about my technique.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ughhh... thought it was summer, but no. The water temp is dropping again. I thought we were trending warm, so no wetsuit. It was about 55°, so cut it short. Had a good afterdrop shiver and some nice Reynauds on my feet and fingers.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [flyinryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is your first year?

The bulk of your training should be intervals in that 50-200 length, but not all the same speed. There's a place for those (aka best average pace, where you just want to hold the best you can without fading) but also some with a bit more rest where you get progressively faster (eg descending or build sets. Descending is getting faster from one repeat to the next, while build is getting faster within each repeat)

You should also make sure you get in a few longer swims at or longer than the 70.3 race distance, particularly because this is your first year. You want to be familiar with the distance and be able to complete it without going hard, just cruise through and get on the bike nice and fresh, and mitigate some of the energy-sapping pre-race anxiety that many people get. That will take a bit of practice learning what it feels like. The more experience you get, the less you need to do it.

Not sure what you mean by "not ready for drill work"? There's nothing wrong with inserting the appropriate drills at the appropriate points in the workout. As a guess based on your stated pace, I'd say you should be doing drills that are geared around developing a good body position and drag reduction first and foremost. Just stick them in parts of the workout that aren't supposed to be too hard, like warmup, warmdown, and active recovery.

Oh, and congrats on the improvement! That tells me that what you are doing so far is working.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks I really appreciate it. I'll play around with the speed a bit more. I only had 30min in the pool last night so I did 10x100 for my main set on 2:10 and was coming in around 1:54 - 1:56 and felt like I had at least another 5 to 10 in me. As far as drill work, it just seems I've read a lot of opposing view points on when it's appropriate to be drilling when you first start swimming. I've done long dog, single arm, catch up, and some kicking, but not with consistency. I'll read up on drills to improve my body position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the key with drills is to know "why" you are doing it. Just picking a drill and doing it without knowing the "why" is pointless.

good one for body position is 6-kick switch, as well as kicking on your back (no board), keep everything (shoulders to toes) aligned and up at the surface, and keep the kicks small and quick.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flyinryan wrote:
I've done long dog, single arm, catch up, and some kicking, but not with consistency. I'll read up on drills to improve my body position.
I’ve noticed many newbie swimmers drop their elbow when starting their pull stroke. My favorite drill to improve/develop an Early Vertical Forearm type stroke is the Fist Drill. Just swim with closed fists, but don’t thrash at it, try to pull long and strong. I suggest 50 repeats with first 25 as fist drill, at moderate/easy effort then 25 regular freestyle at a much elevated effort and thinking about how you pulled with closed fist, but now open. Get plenty of rest between repeats so your stroke doesn’t break down from fatigue. Enough of those and your more efficient stroke will become natural.

Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll give that a shot tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fist drill works best when pulling, IMO. You really want to isolate that part of the stroke.

you'll probably hate it at first. It's hard.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
fist drill works best when pulling, IMO. You really want to isolate that part of the stroke.

you'll probably hate it at first. It's hard.
I was gonna mention that, especially if your hips are dropping a lot during the drill. Good call!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah? which one? I live in boston. Where do you train?

Today was "dist" day
Main set:
200 on 2:30
400 neg split on 5:15
2 x 50 easy on 1 to recover
---
all scy but outside! (glorious!)
Held 2:12 to 2:14 on the 200
Then did a 2:17(ish) followed by a 2:13(ish)

Great work Dev Monty Jason!! nice swimming.

Its nice to be healthy again and back at it.
daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [tomoffat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm back with another one!

400 S/K/S/K
4x50 as odds: scull, evens: drill
300 K/S/K with fins
6x25 underwater kick with fins

3x200 @ TH + 5
60s rest
4x150 @ TH
60s rest
5x100 @ TH -5 with fins and pads
60s rest
6x50 @ TH-5 with fins and pads

100 Easy

TH is threshold time, in my case 1:20

Disclaimer: Not a triathlete anymore, just a fish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, maybe a bit high there mate, sub-30. And as to where I live, it's a Commonwealth country, and I'm ranked somewhere in the top 1000 in my event within it. Maybe that narrows it down a bit...

Disclaimer: Not a triathlete anymore, just a fish
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [tomoffat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cut my toe, which then got infected. So, I've been out of commision for a while...toes take a long time to heal, apparently. I got back in the water on June 1st. Then a family thing conflicted with my first A-race. So.....I basically dumped most of May, managing 1-2 SBR workouts a week. Time to get back after it. I've got 16 weeks until my fall A-race.

June 1:
500 swim
500 pull w/pads
10x50 (0:20) on 1:05

Yesterday:
6x25 clock drill
2x100 single-arm
30x50 (0:20) on 1:10 (normally this would be a USRPT set, but I just wanted to get some yards under my belt...so I held the pace in check by 3-4s / 50)
100 ez cool down

Both swims above felt really rough, and out of sync. Breath timing was wrong, I could feel a bit of a fishtail going on...and I just generally didn't feel balanced or relaxed. A few months ago, Jason theorized that it took 10 workouts to get the "flow" back. If that's holds true, then I've got 8 more to go.

I'm looking to manage 4x swims a week. Something like a USRPT.50s day, a USRPT.100s day (or a 4x100 desc day), a recovery swim day, and either an OWS or long swim day. For the first couple weeks, I mostly want to restablish being able to swim for 3k or so with reasonable technique and a sense of "flow".

Eventually, I may throw some USRPT.25s in there somewhere...maybe as a second MS with the 50s. I'm not sure exactly, suggestions are welcome. I'd like to change my perspective of what a "long" workout is, and what "hard" swimming is.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the googles, Tom moffat is a 31y/o Aussie cricketer

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, that is the first thing I did, googled him. But since then he has told us he is in the top 1000 in his country, but that could mean to 10 too I guess. I got this guy on the top of my search, a bit old, but did live in Hawaii;

https://www.khon2.com/...0406450659/901618873
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pool in Medfield, OW in Sherborn and ride in hidden backroads of MetroWest. Wayland is having a 1 and 3 mile OWS in the lake on 6/16 and on 6/15 there’s a 1 mile OWS in Charles River if you love that dirty water. Where do you train?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he's just a fan of Cricket...and that's his favorite Player / Cricketer / Crickiteer.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3000 SCM this morning

300 wu
6 x 50 descend 1-3, 4-6 on 1:00
3 x 200 pull, 2:31, 2:29, 2:29
5 x (
4 x 25 descend on :30 (:17 -> :14)
2 x 50 T pace on 1:00 (~:36)
100 strong on 2:00 (1:11, 1:11, 1:11, 1:10, 1:10)
)
300 cd

Felt good to be back in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: June swim thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 3:

200wu,
2x200 la/ra/sw,
10x100 (20) on 2:05
5x100 (20) on 2:05
200cd

I was a little slow getting out of the house this morning. Was planning to do 20x100, ran out of time... But, frankly I was running out of gas, too. Oh well. It's a start.
Quote Reply

Prev Next