Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jumproping?
Quote | Reply
I was wondering how beneficial it would be to add jumproping into the daily routine? Do any of you do it? If so how long and often?
Quote Reply
Re: Jumproping? [LavaPunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rope about 20 minutes 4 times/week as warm up for some of my other training. I don't think it would be particularly benifical for tri-telated training. For boxing, the theory is that it teaches rhythm and hand/eye coordination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a reasonable adjunct to training in that it mirrors the stretch shortening cycle of your lower leg and to some degree your upper leg. It helped me as one of the things I did to become less of aheel striker. Still do it, but only 6 minutes at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is an excellent warm up pre-race exercise which requires none of the kit you need to be moved out of transition, nor does it require you to run the risk of missing the start as you don't have to remove yourself from the area. It giving good elevation to the heart rate and works the lower and upper body, the upper more so if you use a rope with weighted handles.

Get it right and it is quite good for mediatative like focus.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was when I tried jumproping that I realized all those ankle sprains in HS b-ball had taken their toll. Wasn't quite able to hop on my left ankle.

I think it's probably good to build ankle strength -- but so is a balance ball, and a balance ball is probably better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plyometrics in its most simple, basic form. Can't hurt if your goal is to be a more economical runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like most new activities, its best to take it real easy at first, as its easy to strain or pull calf muscles if you do much without working up to it.

Chuck

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to jump rope in my college dorm room when I needed some exercise and to break up long homework sessions. I was terribly embarrased when the boyfriend of the girl in the room directly beneath me found out what I was doing and confessed that he thought I was having some outrageous sex sessions, several times a night.

Once in a while I'll grab a rope and go out in the driveway for 15-20 minutes when I can't get away from the house and need to sweat and get the HR up.

Quote | Reply
jump rope is an incredably challenging task, that most underestimate. it works the forearms, shoulders, biceps, and grip, etc. I don't do it as much anymore, since I no longer box due to a long screw in my forearm, but when I do, my calves really are sore the next day, as are the upper body parts.

it is an excellent exercise, and doing it 2 times a week will benefit you cardiovascularly, and also mentally. Plus it trains areas that are important to out sport. I don't think weighted grips are necessary, but I do see some men that are into it.

high knees, criss cross (in front of chest and jump through), one legs, heel to glut, kick leg (out in front), are all ways to make it just that more challenging.

have fun! kittycat (float like a butterfly and sting like a bee)
Quote Reply
Re:Ugh Grammar [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first thing that jumps out at me is the poor use of grammar. Sorry, I was an English major. The proper use would be Jumping Rope. You wouldnt say Tour de Frances, would you?

"Gravedigger, when you dig my grave could you make it shallow? So that I can feel the rain."
Quote Reply
Re: Re:Ugh Grammar [IronWannaBe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you know most people are jumping on this forum in between taks at work? give me a break....I don't care what you majored in, your response was small minded.
Quote Reply
Re: Re:Ugh Grammar [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know people are jumping on at work. I do it all day long. My response may be small minded but yours is dimwitted. :)

"Gravedigger, when you dig my grave could you make it shallow? So that I can feel the rain."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just saying, "big picture"...that's not dimwitted. IF you're jumping on and off, then surly you can see how someone would make an error, and therefore doesn't need called out on it because you're an english major or some stupid shit like that. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Re:Ugh Grammar [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be willing to bet that you're one of the those that are the first to jump on non-english speaking individuals for their less than perfect grasp of the language. Yet, most Americans dont even know how to properly use their own language. I'd also be willing to guess that you're an engineer or "some stupid shit like that" who doesnt think that the ability to write and speak correctly are important. Perhaps you should go back to bed and wake up with your sense of humor intact because my initial post was tongue in cheek.

P.S. if you dont understand any of the words I've used in this post look them up in a dictionary (if you own one) or I'd be glad to help you out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem here between you two relates to improper use of "smiley faces," at the end of each reply.

I do not understand why posters assail others or make clever rejoinders, then plop on a smiley face, with the goal being of also attempting to wipe out all of the ugliness or conflict, that poster just started. It sends a mixed message. You want to have your cake and eat it, too. You want to call somebody out as a dumbass, while not wanting back a full-bore war about that. It says, I am callling you a dumbass, however, do not come after me, for I am a happy, smiling face, person.

This is textbook passive, aggressive tendency.
Quote Reply
Re: Re:Ugh Grammar [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Booth, you're right! Dumbass!

Quote Reply
Okay [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies.... and the flame war too. Sorry for the incorrect grammer.
Quote Reply