Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jumping to 10 speed....
Quote | Reply
Currently have 2004 - Ultegra 9sp

Can you upgrade to 10 speed with just 10 spd cassette, 10 speed chain, 10 speed shifters

or

do you need the above AND new rear derailure.

I realize Ultegra 10 speed may be hard to come by anytime soon.
Last edited by: TargetGoingLong: Oct 27, 04 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Jumping to 10 speed.... [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. No need for new derailure (sp?).

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Re: Jumping to 10 speed.... [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understood that you should have 10-speed specific front chainrings as well.

If not it would be pretty easy to upgrade a tri-bike with aerobar shifters - you can run the rear on friction. All you'd need is a rear cassette & a new chain. sweet & easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, why do you feel 10 sp is necessary or offers any advantage?
Quote Reply
Re: Jumping to 10 speed.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with CG.

Not that I couldn't change to 10 sp, I just don't see the benefits. I guess when 9 speed is gone I will have to switch.
Quote Reply
Re: Jumping to 10 speed.... [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I have a 10-speed road bike - so having the tri-bike the same would be nice to switch wheels without having to switch cassettes.

But that being said I feel like I can feel the small difference in 10 speed on the top end because of the extra cog. I think in a relatively flat tri (with some rollers) it would be really nice to have only 1-step incriments for all moves from 11 to 21 (except the last one of course)

Oh and on the road the shifting is soooo much crisper with the new DA.
Quote Reply
Re: Jumping to 10 speed.... [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Oh and on the road the shifting is soooo much crisper with the new DA. "

I have th 10 speed rear derailleur, works for 9sp. For you the 10 speed shifts crisper, due to the shifters themselves?
Quote Reply
Re: Jumping to 10 speed.... [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea - it's the design of the shifters.

the rear derailer still only travels the same distance (since the way 10 speed works is thiner cogs) - the new derailer is a bit lighter and the springs may last longer then 9-speed DA but you need to pair it with the new shifters to get better shifting.

Plus I like the fact that the hoods are longer and you can put them up a bit higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"nice to switch wheels without having to switch cassettes."

That in itself is a very good reason, but I looked at 10 sp vs keeping 9 sp and converting to a compact crank and decided the compact was a better way to go since I live in a hilly area.

Eventually we'll all have to go 10 sp when we run out of 9 sp parts since Shimano/Campy won't support them forever, but the 10 sp seems more like marketing IMO. But that's the name of the game - develop built in obsolescence to sell more new product. Wonder when the new 11 sp will be coming out.

It amazes how people living in flat areas will rush out and get 10 sp because it's the latest and greatest when in fact a 6 sp freewheel will give more than enough gears in some geographical areas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 10 will stick around for a while (until Campy has like 12.5 speed electric or something like that).

Shimano won't go up above that until they pass ten all the way down their product line (probably 3 years).

Do you ever feel like you've spun out with the compact crank (i assume your top end is 50-11)

Do you switch to a regular crank-set for flater races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Do you ever feel like you've spun out with the compact crank (i assume your top end is 50-11) "

No. I'm a natural high spinner to begin with and 50 x 11 w/700 at 110 rpm is something like 58 kph or something if I remember correctly. I never go 50 kph on a flat unless there's a hurricane blowing behind me or unless it's for a very short time under ideal conditions. If I'm going faster than that it's decending down a hill and you might as well tuck aero and save energy as you won't go any faster cranking harder. Compacts might not be ideal for Bjorn, but IMO a lot of AG'ers are probably over geared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking of going compact up front... Tighter cassesstte with less cross over in gear ratios
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used 8 speed since I lived in Virginia in 1993 and rode the Blue Ridge Mountains alot. I now live in Florida and still use only 8 speed. Trust me, I've had to adjust peoples 10 speed Campys and Shimanos, its a pain in the ass. As you get more cogs and thinner chains, adjustments keep getting more difficult. I run combinations of 7 speed, 8 speed, and 9 speed parts. I never have any trouble getting them all to work together. I just can't see adding a 10 speed drive train. It'll be many many years, like 10 years or more, before you won't be able to get 8 and 9 speed parts. I still get 7 and 8 speed stuf all the time, so don't let the "lack of 9 speed parts" be the reason you change to 10 speed.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Jumping to 10 speed.... [getting-old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must be getting-old as I'm in the same boat. I'm still running 8 speed on all my bikes and really haven't felt the need to switch. Also 8 speed cassettes and chains are readily available and the newer derailleurs are downwards compatible.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply