Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
July Chlorintine (Swim Thread)
Quote | Reply
post 'em

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: July Chlorintine (Swim Thread) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.1 mi run w/ 10k @ 9:05/mi
1500m swim

no extra rest between these:
6 x 100 on 1:50
4 x 100 on 1:45
2 x 100 on 1:40
2 x 100 on 1:35
100 kick c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oregon pools still closed....I am DYING to swim. Hoping next week I can start doing open water once I can get away from work for a bit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
0610: 30 mile ride

1130: 300 swim, 300 kick, 300 pull
200 IM/free, 200k, 200p
100 IM, 100k, 100p
200, 100, 2x50, 4x25 5 sec rest between each
25, 50, 75, 100, 100, 75, 50, 25 5 sec rest between each
6x50 on :50
8x25 on :30
100 free drill
100 back kick
100 double arm backstroke

3,600 yds

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: July Chlorintine (Swim Thread) [flowersofmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pools are supposed to open next week. In the mean time I generally so an out and back 800m small bay crossing for a mile warm-up and then I do intervals between two piers 200m apart. I did my first 200 fly the other day. Generally I do 200 IM one way and 200 free coming back.
Quote Reply
Re: July Chlorintine (Swim Thread) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually looked at my swim tether yesterday. I considered replacing my snorkel that got stolen a year ago. Does that count?

Swimming might be good for Upper Body rehab from surgery. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice thread title!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No chlorine for me... all ocean, all the time!
Been going longish the past couple of weeks as I'm in this long swim challenge aimed to swim a double-marathon by July 8th (Started May 27). I'm already at 128% with 118,481 yards. and in 9th place. Near the top is Meredith Kessler at over 200,000 yards.
Yesterday was a little low at 3,000 yards, but today, with better/less choppy conditions, I got in 5,184 yards in a hour & 12 minutes. I wanted to keep going, but couldn't get anyone to buddy swim past that with me.
Could be a problem to close this out as local beaches are closing again due to this new Covid spike and Independence Day crowd surges to subdue.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No pools in my world for a good long while. Which is fine. We've had a huge surge... I'm surprised we didn't get ordered to shut it all down by the Governor. Its okay. All our neighboring counties are shut down for the holiday weekend, and I'm sure none of those folks will voyage to SLO County beaches for our long holiday weekend. Which means my beach is still open.

Today I logged 2.1 miles in wonderfully warm 60F water. At one point, my rubber bathtub duck said 61.5F! Amazing! So, we swam to Fossil Point. It was REALLY nice to get out of the bay and away from our usual buoys, piers, and various triangle swims. The point was perfect, albeit a bit bumpy. We fought straight into the swell to head all the way over to the Cal Poly Pier. That is around 1.5km from Point to Poly Pier. It took freaking forever, particularly the last 200 yards. It was a 33:40 swim. On a flat, no meaningful swell, no wind, slack tide it should be around 25 minutes. Then we enjoyed a free ride in on both the swell and the incoming tide. It has been fun to pick up new swimmers along the way. Folks are getting sick of not swimming so they are giving the ocean a dip.

I can't even remember pools. Just a faint memory. They seem really small.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: July Chlorintine (Swim Thread) [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had my best swim of the year today - just 1 mile (perhaps a few yards short) behind the house but made it back in 29:02. Respectable for a 67 year old, I'm keeping my pace dialed back to a high tempo - water temps are in the low 90's (not a typo) and I'm sweating when I get out.

On a separate note can anyone vouch for the accuracy of the mapping programs like https://www.gmap-pedometer.com or mapmyride.com etc? My Garmin 735xt is somewhat inaccurate but I swim to the same specific landmarks. The mapping programs are easy to use but the distances are always less compared to my watch values.. Today my watch said I was swimming at 1:38 per 100 yards but using the map program it was more like 1:45.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Last edited by: Fuller: Jul 2, 20 19:00
Quote Reply
Re: July Chlorintine (Swim Thread) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed control workout
Main set was 5 sets of 200 75% and 100 85%
Pre Covid speed is getting there. I was able to push 1:15/14 for each of the 100s
In Feb/March I was able to hold 8x1:14 on 1:30

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: July Chlorintine (Swim Thread) [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2400 SCY

1000 in 14:32
400 IM K
600 BK/BR
400 P 5:26

Have taken ~30 seconds of my 1000 training time in last month since swimming resumed. Still about 45 seconds off where I was in mid March. Still feeling weak in catch phase. May try some intervals this month.
Quote Reply
Re: July Chlorintine (Swim Thread) [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Nice thread title!

Thanks!

yesterday totally off, first rest day in awhile

today 10.3 mi run 1:35:55, legs all stiff and out of sorts (not fair) and 700m c/d swim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and I just signed up for a SwimBox session (local company that does training/coaching in Endless Pools), excited for my first swim almost four months!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Summer has arrived! We finally had a sunny morning! Swam another long one - 5700 yards, but tired arms made it a bit slower, taking 1:30 to complete. The water temp is a very nice 68 deg. We had a little chop, not bad, but the occasional big wave would roll up on the beach. We had to keep an eye out while exiting. We bumped into a friend on our return. He said they witnessed the guards rescuing about 20 scuba divers that didn't time their entry or exit too well. He said they were like bowling pins out there.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: July Chlorintine (Swim Thread) [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumped the yardages up to 2300 today, still feeling those last 4 months off. But one week down!

5x100s@1;45(1;33 to 1;27)
5x100IM kick@2;15(2;05to 1;58)
2x500p@7;15(7;04/6;56)
6x50,fly/bk(46)Brest/free(44)2 kick(59's)2 buoy(42/41)
2300SCY
Quote Reply
Re: July Chlorintine (Swim Thread) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1/7/20
2x300 swim
2000 pull, focus on technique & stroke count
2x300 w/d
3200 LCM

3/7/20
2x200 swim
4x50 build
8x100 @ 1.50 sub thresh
400 pull
200 easy
2x50 kick
200 w/d
2300 LCM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
No pools in my world for a good long while. Which is fine. We've had a huge surge... I'm surprised we didn't get ordered to shut it all down by the Governor. Its okay. All our neighboring counties are shut down for the holiday weekend, and I'm sure none of those folks will voyage to SLO County beaches for our long holiday weekend. Which means my beach is still open.

Today I logged 2.1 miles in wonderfully warm 60F water. At one point, my rubber bathtub duck said 61.5F! Amazing! So, we swam to Fossil Point. It was REALLY nice to get out of the bay and away from our usual buoys, piers, and various triangle swims. The point was perfect, albeit a bit bumpy. We fought straight into the swell to head all the way over to the Cal Poly Pier. That is around 1.5km from Point to Poly Pier. It took freaking forever, particularly the last 200 yards. It was a 33:40 swim. On a flat, no meaningful swell, no wind, slack tide it should be around 25 minutes. Then we enjoyed a free ride in on both the swell and the incoming tide. It has been fun to pick up new swimmers along the way. Folks are getting sick of not swimming so they are giving the ocean a dip.

I can't even remember pools. Just a faint memory. They seem really small.

I had one of my best workouts in months today. It was hot and 34C here. I did 30km of bike commuting to get to my open water spot, and did a 800m out and 800m back warmup to the yacht club across the bay, then I have three rock piers that are exactly 100m between each (so 200m total) and used that segment for 10x200IM plus 1x400IM plus a cooldown. Was just over 4000m all in.

I got a 3 mm Xterrra Volt wetsuit sleeveless wetsuit and cut it off below the knees, so its just there to keep my body "warm enough" but not so much rubber that its crazy buoyant like a 5mm fullsuit that I would overheat in (the water has gone from very cold, to probably right around IM wetsuit legal).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100 easy
5x200 increase intensity @ approx 3.45
100 easy
4x50 as 25 hard/35 cruise on 1.15
3x150 Pull
2x50 kick
650 mixed warm down
2600 LCM
Quote Reply
Re: July Chlorintine (Swim Thread) [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a "Lake Superior Running Virtual Challenge" going on

It is 563km. If we take to the rest of the year, its 3.1km per day every day.

Anyone interested?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got me pre-4th swim in yesterday, logging 2.5 miles. The sun was poking through so we had pretty textured water and downright bumpy water toward the end. Once I saw my distance I regretted that I didn't just put in for that last half mile and round it out to 3.0 miles. I'll have to either talk my swimmates into doing that or go at it alone. But I'm doing it someday soon.

I finally bit the bullet and got a brand-spanking-new-never-used-before wetsuit (I'm a cheap used wetsuit kinda gal). The flexibility through the shoulders is amazing and my pace has definitely benefited from the new suit. It also isn't super buoyant through the midsection so I think my body position is just more relaxed and prone.

We had a crazy experience with the currents. We were swimming in 57F water for the first 50 minutes. Then we came upon a long streak of sea foam. As we entered the foam patch the water temperature went all the way up to 73F (which is an unheard of temp in the bay). One of my mates exclaimed, "Whale Piss!" I dunno about that, but it was warm enough to consider the possible validity of the idea. As we exited the foam and swam another 50 yards past it the water temp gradually dropped down to 63F (also an unheard of temp in the bay). It stayed at 63 for the next 10 minutes as we swam parallel to the foam and dropped immediately back down to 57F as soon as we crossed back through the foam, 800 yards to the south of where we originally crossed the foam patch. That is either a massive whale, or we just had an epic current grabbing water from the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant discharge and bringing it right to us. Thinking about Chernobyl the rest of the swim made the time pass quickly.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During today's open water swim, I was able to help a couple who got separated and the wife was heading to the midde of the river right towards where the current picks up before the rapids. The river is 4-6 km wide before the narrowing to the rapids. In most of that wide "lake" it has not current. Its like a natural man made dam:

The line in green is the good place to swim inside. There are no boats there and no current. You can touch the bottom literally 50 m to the right of the green line. To the left of the green line it gets iffy with boat traffic if you go at the wrong time of day although from the point to where it says "Google" its quite fine to swim in. But once you go past the green line towards the Ontario-Quebec border, you can suddenly get sucked into a MASSIVE current. There is no chance to swim out of that when you are in.

So I am swimming along inside the green line and I hear a person. I looked to my left and it was really hard to see with the run setting and major chop, but there was a guy yelling. So I swam over. His wife was way north of the green line heading towards the virtual provincial border. He was hysterical that she was heading directly for the current and I was able to see her and realized she had a ways to go, and she looked "slow enough" that I would be able to catch her and turn her around in time. So I bolted at full speed to get her before she got anywhere close to the current and the rapids.

In any case, it all worked out well. I turned her around and she was re united with her husband. I then went on to finish my 70 min ~3000m swim. I spent the last 30 minutes doing "fly - back repeats"...20 strokes fly, 60 strokes back.

In any case, on the map below, the green route is 800m one way, the yellow route is 400m one way and the blue route is 200m and on the blue route there is a rock outcrop at 100m so I have a good set up for all kinds of intervals:

Below is a view from the departure point where it says "Ottawa City rafting". You can see how wide it is and how it looks like a large lake...which it is until you get in the wrong spot and its a raging river

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 4, 20 19:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday I rode 53 miles in the morning and flew to Maine in the PM (got tested for covid a few days ago and am negative - taking all the precautions I could)

4.5 mi run , 2675 yd swim

5 x 100 on 1:35
200 fast 2:36
200 fast 2:32
200 fast 2:33
200 fast 2:34
100 easy kick/swim
200 fast 2:34
100 easy kick /swim
200 fast 2:36
175 c/d kick/swim

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jul 5, 20 9:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7x400 @ 7.00
4 swim
3 pull
200 WD
3000 LCM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3.7 mi run
2600 yd swim
1 mi run

5 x 100 on 1:35
4 x 200 on 3:05 desc (2:49, 2:42, 2:34, 2:34)
2 x [100 easy swim + 50 kick + 300 fast] 3:59, 3:55
400 c/d first 50 kick, last 25 back

Quote Reply

Prev Next