Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Julich's climbing/TT chainring... What's up with that?
Quote | Reply
I just watched Frankie Andreu's piece on Bobby Julich's special chainring. From what I gathered, the size of the teeth varies depending on the position in the pedal stroke, emphasizing power in some areas and I'm not sure what in the others. (Sort of biopace-esque)

Can anyone explain this? Also, if these rings do actually work, what are the odds that they'll be banned by the UCI before next year rolls around?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Julich's climbing/TT chainring... What's up with that? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that it lengthens the downstroke where you are pushing/stomping.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Julich's climbing/TT chainring... What's up with that? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they have been around for years, and they are UCI legal

note that the UCI does not ban every new item that the peloton uses, case in point - Rotor Cranks have been used in the Vuelta for the past two years, and will be there in force again this year on the TT stages
Quote Reply
Re: Julich's climbing/TT chainring... What's up with that? [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shameless plug, Gary!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Julich's climbing/TT chainring... What's up with that? [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would Bobby J's chainring produce similar results as Rotor Cranks?

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: Julich's climbing/TT chainring... What's up with that? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seems like they produce the exact same advertised benefit as rotorcranks. Rotorcranks are just a heavy, complicated (more moving parts=higher chance of mechanical failure), and expensive way of achieving the same benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: Julich's climbing/TT chainring... What's up with that? [Ben in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are made by osymetric and were first sold under the name harmonic (and available on many of the castorama bikes for instance)

www.osymetric.com
Quote Reply
Re: Julich's climbing/TT chainring... What's up with that? [Ben in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"seems like they produce the exact same advertised benefit as rotorcranks. Rotorcranks are just a heavy, complicated (more moving parts=higher chance of mechanical failure), and expensive way of achieving the same benefit. "

They do not work at all like Rotors, as they do not eliminate the dead point, see below:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai

I saw it on OLN , it seemed just an Elliptic gear cut for the power of the rider , they made a cheap version in the 80s biogear -biomet - ? The builder said it was supposed to even out the flat spot / even power stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Julich's climbing/TT chainring... What's up with that? [Helitech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was called "Bio-Pace".. We should start a thread "Old school equipment"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at you animation, the crank still passes through the dead spot, so it is not eliminating it, just accelerating the crank thru it.

Ovalized cain rings are probably more effective becuase they accelerate both dead spots evenly and at the same time, at the 12 oclock, and 6oclock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, it is eliminated, the dead spot occurs at 12 and 6, Rotors have no 12 and 6 alignment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben in Fl wrote

Ovalized cain rings are probably more effective because they accelerate both dead spots evenly and at the same time, at the 12 oclock, and 6oclock.

I rode a bio-pace crank a few hundred miles, I think it reduced the pressure at the dead spot, but had a weird feel climbing. but its a soild crank arm / no swing. Its was not right for me as the arms were short 170 mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, really, it's not eliminated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is not a power void in Rotor Cranks as there is with traditional cranks
Quote Reply