Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jtek Engineering AeroBrake System review
Quote | Reply

http://socalttseries.com/...bid/143/Default.aspx

Jtek Engineering AeroBrake System - by Gary Tingley - 8/9/05

(a couple of you ST'rs have asked about my new Jtek lever, so here it is ...)

I originally heard about this system during this years Tour de France (2005), supposedly provided to Team Discovery before the Tour by way of Steve Hed. The system consists of a brake lever that attaches to the bar end shifter via a bolt replacement, and a cable splitter that allows both levers to actuate a single caliper. Note that the lever and splitter were sold separately when I purchased them.

I bought the system directly from the manufacturer for about $150.00, including shipping. Installation is straightforward and simple, the instructions take the mechanic step by step through the process. I did not weigh the lever and splitter, however they are manufactured from high quality aluminum and were quite lightweight, and machined with Swiss-like precision.

I used a left lever attached to the left extension, which activates the front brake. I chose this method because the front caliper is more powerful than the rear, and the lever would have more effect on the front caliper than on the rear. Stopping power with the Jtek appears to be about half that of my standard HED lever, which is not the most powerful model made (as compared to Syntace). I also did not want to reduce the braking power of the rear caliper by installing the splitter, however this does not appear to be an issue as the front caliper stops just as well with the splitter in place.

I use the Jtek lever to scrub speed while cornering in the aerobars, for downhill speed control, and when team time trial racing. It also allows more security in the aerobars as reaction time to a variety of "speed reducing" needs, notice that I did not write "stopping". This lever does not really stop my bike quickly; however it does reduce the speed quickly to safer levels when I need to slow my effort a bit.

I recommend this lever system to anyone who is looking for an extra advantage that will allow more time in the extensions and more security in situations where you would normally be riding the base bars. I do not recommend this lever system to beginner riders, and it is not intended to replace your regular brake levers. Use with caution and common sense. Overall I rate them an A+.

http://www.jtekengineering.com/AeroBrake.htm

Quote Reply