Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jones Beach(NY) 70.3
Quote | Reply
Rather surprised that with 3800 entrants, the thread on this died months ago.

Event is this weekend, weather is looking dicey depending on your app of choice, it either starts raining on arrival at transition in the morning or at some time during the day. Winds forecasted to be ENE in the high teens to 20s with gusts to the high 30s. Swim takes place in a bay that is facing east during the last hour of an outgoing tide (tide against the wind) First leg is to the east, return to the west. Bike course is two loops of closed parkway through treelined flat surbubia, but a few miles are open causeway running N-S and EW on a barrier beach island parkway. Run is on an open barrier beach boardwalk..

what legs are likely to be shortened? or cancelled?

feel horrible for the RD, super good guy who has worked for years to pull this off.
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [TriNSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a lot of conversation and much concern regarding the potential weather conditions in the facebook group for this race. I joined the group hoping I can do this race next year or the following year. Really hoping for the best. Sounds like the RD is awesome and has worked very hard for years to pull this off. I am following everything closely and fingers crossed.

So far it doesn't sound like anything worse than what I've raced in, but weather in the northeast can be punishing. My advice for folks is to focus on wearing warm clothes on the bike to prevent hypothermia.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The default iPhone weather app makes your forecast look overstated.

3800 athletes? Holy crap. I’ve done some 70.3s like Chatt and St G with big fields, but has there ever been one that big? The course better be designed to handle congestion
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't care so much about the rain and cold, that can be managed.
But windguru is showing forecast of 20 knots (not MPH, knots) with gusts over 30 knots.
If this forecast does not change by Friday, I'm not even checking in my bike. Screw the $400, it will be dangerous on the bike and not worth the risk (especially with 2 loop course).

Windguru - NY - Gilgo Beach (Long Island)
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [DoronG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably smart to leave the disk wheel at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the same boat, will likely skip this one. At least we are locals and dont have the added expense of hotels, travel, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This doesn’t look good

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was signed up. My airbnb canceled on me last week. Looked around for other options, didn't like any of them so I managed to transfer to another race before the deadline. Plus airbnb gave me 200 bucks back on top of my payment for the troubles.

Kinda glad the airbnb host flaked on me!
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are things looking for people that are there? Weather forecasts seem to be all over the place. One app might say tomorrow will be okay-ish with the worst coming Sun/Mon but another app says it will be a shit show tomorrow with heavy wind and rain.

This race is on my future radar.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live here, nearly directly north of Jones Beach about 8 miles. Local NBC says 2 to 4 inch of rain starting about 5 am tomorrow and going to Sunday. Wind will generally be out of the east-northeast in the 30 to 50 mph range. As bad as that might seem, we are expecting 1 to 3 feet of storm surge. That will probably flood transition, and make Zacks Bay unrecognizable.

I've done some bad weather races, including one year in Philadelphia where transition was under a foot of water. This seems worse to me. We skipped it this year because we are doing the Chicago marathon. I feel for anyone that came in for this race.

I haven't seen Cory Roberts from Race Awesome post anything negative yet. This morning he showed the tents up and transition marked and laid out. Not sure how that will stay in place with the wind, but Cory is of the very best race directors in the business. If it can be done, he'll figure out how.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
How are things looking for people that are there? Weather forecasts seem to be all over the place. One app might say tomorrow will be okay-ish with the worst coming Sun/Mon but another app says it will be a shit show tomorrow with heavy wind and rain.

This race is on my future radar.

Today was windy but not unreasonable. Gusts well into the 20s certainly. Bay had wind driven whitecaps. Didn't do the practice swim, looked choppy but not yet concerning. Safety kayaks seemed to do ok. Did the bike path along the Wantagh across the most exposed part and back. The gusts on the bridges were already attention getting. Once you're on the island proper you do get some more protection it seems. But that's today.

Just saw the NWS has a gale warning for Sandy Hook to Montauk tomorrow. Things aren't looking great. I racked my bike and will go down to make a final call based on actual conditions in the AM. I'm up in Westchester so not a terrible trip.

It's unfortunate, this venue is all around excellent.
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [Math Drifter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant to post this a couple of days ago, but there is no way this race goes off as planned........it will be cancelled, postponed, delayed, shortened or at least a leg will be cut. There is no other choice.

This is from someone who has raced 2 IMs that were affected by hurricanes/tropical storms: 2015 IM Maryland delayed by 2 weeks due to Hurricane Juaqoin & 2016 IM North Carolina (bike leg shortened to 56 miles) due to Hurricane Matthew.

The weather for this race is now being affected by Tropical Storm Ophelia

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the words of Andre 3000,
You can plan a pretty picnic
But you can't predict the weather
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
In the words of Andre 3000,
You can plan a pretty picnic
But you can't predict the weather
Have some dear friends in the management side of things, competent and capable. Whatever goes down, i'm certain
it will be decided in the interest of safety. Good luck to all!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any word on race status?
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [m_dc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race Update Due to the current weather conditions in Zach's Bay and the south shore of Long Island, IRONMAN and local official have determined in the interest of athlete safety and the strict benchmarks in place, the swim portion of today's IRONMAN 70.3 New York triathlon will be shortened to a 750 meter (0.46mi) swim. Any further updates will be communicated to athletes in transition and at swim start. As athletes' safety is our paramount concern, we appreciate your understanding
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess now we know what the r3action to Ireland will be.

Looks like ironman is going to be ridiculously cautious about swim conditions going forward.

Let the softening of our world continue one step at a time ..... ohhh.... you will be uncomfortable cause it's cold and rainy ..... let me solve that for you, God forbid anyone does anything hard anymore.

This is just a soft decision. I'm here standing on the beach and it is FINE!
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [STeaveA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. One of the guys from my work is doing it and made a long trip. I am sure he will be happy that at least he gets to do a tri vs a duathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Jones Beach(NY) 70.3 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race. Big kudos to the RD for giving us a swim. I’ve seen swims in comparable conditions get canceled. I believe they were using professional water safety people out there (they had matching wetsuits), so that must have helped. It was sprint distance—750 meters—and choppy but not crazy.

Bike wasn’t too bad either. There were sections with a strong breeze, but in the interior of LI, it was no big deal. The rain was light throughout. I wore a tight cycling jacket and gloves, and I was toasty. Not sure how those that stuck to the no glove / trisuit approach fared.

I felt the weather the most on the run. In one direction, I was flying; the other was a slog. Coldest part of the day was the finish, with a long walk to transition/parking.

This race would be spectacular in good weather. As it was, I was happy to do it.

Again, big appreciation to Corey for having the vision and determination to deliver a great product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I did the race. Big kudos to the RD for giving us a swim. I’ve seen swims in comparable conditions get canceled. I believe they were using professional water safety people out there (they had matching wetsuits), so that must have helped. It was sprint distance—750 meters—and choppy but not crazy.

Bike wasn’t too bad either. There were sections with a strong breeze, but in the interior of LI, it was no big deal. The rain was light throughout. I wore a tight cycling jacket and gloves, and I was toasty. Not sure how those that stuck to the no glove / trisuit approach fared.

I felt the weather the most on the run. In one direction, I was flying; the other was a slog. Coldest part of the day was the finish, with a long walk to transition/parking.

This race would be spectacular in good weather. As it was, I was happy to do it.

Again, big appreciation to Corey for having the vision and determination to deliver a great product.

Thanks for the update. Great to hear that they pulled off a good event given the conditions. My work mate got his final race of the season in, so glad they put it on for him and 3500 others! I heard it was the largest ever first time Mdot event field,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DoronG wrote:
I don't care so much about the rain and cold, that can be managed.
But windguru is showing forecast of 20 knots (not MPH, knots) with gusts over 30 knots.
If this forecast does not change by Friday, I'm not even checking in my bike. Screw the $400, it will be dangerous on the bike and not worth the risk (especially with 2 loop course).

Windguru - NY - Gilgo Beach (Long Island)

you do realized that 20 Knots only 23 MPH? turned out to be a nice day, rain wasn't horrible, aside from the first 2ish miles of the bike course, wind wasn't much of a factor. Actually could have used the disc, looks like 1200-1500 sat it out, wondering how much worse that 2nd loop would be with that many more people? Smart that they shortened the swim, RD is a great guy, really well run for a year 1 event
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I I believe they were using professional water safety people out there (they had matching wetsuits),t.
the Jones Beach Lifeguard group are the real deal, professionals, think of what you have in Cali on the LA beaches, Highest level. Understanding is that the swim portion of the race was entirely their call and they had 4 alternate courses they could have used.

the last 150-200 yards to the turn buoy was brutal, I would not have wanted to do the full length swim in that, and that would have placed a lot of people in danger. I think they made a good call.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely were a lot of no-shows. The assigned bibs maxed between 2500 and 2600.

Of the 3800, I wonder how many were part of relay teams.

Agree that it is scary to think of another 1000 people on that bike course. The slow rollers seemed to miss the briefing that you ride on the right.

I never saw an official all day, so there was little enforcement of blocking penalties (or friendly reminders)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good to hear they were able to pull off a swim, and congrats waingro! always good to hear impressions of a 1st year race, anything more you'd like to add would be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Definitely were a lot of no-shows. The assigned bibs maxed between 2500 and 2600.

Of the 3800, I wonder how many were part of relay teams.

Agree that it is scary to think of another 1000 people on that bike course. The slow rollers seemed to miss the briefing that you ride on the right.

I never saw an official all day, so there was little enforcement of blocking penalties (or friendly reminders)

Any ridiculous draft packs? Not the normal slow going groups all clumped up, but the hard charging group with guys who clearly should know better in a peloton?
Quote Reply

Prev Next