Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jim's question of the week.
Quote | Reply
In an effort to better myself. And being a newbie with only three races under my belt. I am going to attempt to ask a serious question relating to tri equipment, training or racing each monday morning.

This weeks question is: I have limited funds to devote to new training/racing equipment, being that they all cost in the neighborhood of $1000, what would help me the most, Computrainer, powercranks, or race wheels? This is a hypothetical question at the moment still trying to recover from the new bike purchase.

Jim

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Jim's question of the week. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a coach?

From that list, race wheels, no doubt about it.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jim's question of the week. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think of that, ok add coach to the list. I have a good background in teaching physical fitness, so me and a couple of books have been doing ok, not that a professional couldn't find a lot to change.

Jim

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an excellent questions to ask.

Now, bear in mind- I sell bicycles for a living. So it seems as though it would be in my best interest to tell you "Buy some Zipp race wheels" or "Buy a new bike", but I'm not going to do that.

I would recommend a Computrainer. If you are going to buy a piece of equipment, I can't think of a single peice of equipemtn that is more indispensible.

A Computrainer is not just an indoor trainer. It gives you motivation, testing, a long list of reasons to stay on the bike during the off season and even during the season.

I think if you do buy a Computrainer you will get a lot of use out of it. That would be my recommendation. The other stuff comes later.

I agree with the coaching thing too, but I am a strong advocate of learning the physiology and science on your own first- in which case a stack of books is a good investment too.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends. Maybe. How's that for a definite answer?

IF you are good at self-motivation, and have a background that allows you to effectively design and follow a good training program, you might do fine without a coach....it can get you to the top 10% of your AG if you have good genetics.

If your wheels are junk, a used set of race wheels can be had for under 400.00. Or, just get a new Renn disc for 400.00.

If you live in an area that demands a lot of trainer time due to inclement weather, or if you have a job that demands you stay "available" a lot, a computrainer could be a fantastic motivational tool.

If you want a coach that doesn't care how bad you hurt, or how tired you are, but the coach demands each and every pedal stroke to be "round", PowerCranks are IT. PowerCrank training took me from an also-ran of many years to the top of my AG in a less than a year. My swim time didn't change, nor did my transition times...it was all bike and run split improvements. My 5K in a triathlon is now faster than my old stand-alone 5K.

Out of these choices, only one gives you a 60 day money back guarantee. And I'll bet you'll be faster on the run very quickly...say two weeks....after riding Powercranks. It doesn't matter if you run a 5K in 30 minutes or sub-20 minutes...you'll get faster. Bike speed increases take a little more time.

I'll bet this, if you are motivated, almost anything will help....but, I think the race wheels have the least total potential benefit...they will help some, but only so much, and that's it.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Jim's question of the week. [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said, "bump"

I really thought I would get more opinions on this.

Jim

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the willingness to give good feedback to a coach and accept his/her recommendations, then I think that from now until September or October a coach would be a very good investment. And, it should give you some $$ left over to get a front or rear race wheel.

A computrainer is also a great tool as are powercranks. But, being a newbie, it'll be difficult to say that either of those tools made you faster since you will get faster simply by training consistently. Spending $$ on a coach will give you a good indication of what a structured program might look like as well as the fundamentals of training. It'll also allow an 'objective' party to look at your training and see what might help you out.

If you're really into equipment and gadgets though, I'd save a little and get a computrainer first, race wheels second since most bikes these days have really nice wheels, and powercranks third since they can be so humbling you might just quit using them. Or spend part of that $1000 on your significant other if want to make the next $1000 easier for them to handle...this from a single person!

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bike trainer. Computrainer is one choice, and a good one. An alternative is a nice fluid trainer like a Kurt Kinetic, and a Powertap wheel to ride on it.

Either way, a twice-weekly focus session on the trainer year-round will make a time-constrained triathlete faster on the bike+run than the other things combined. Consistent training, applied year-round, makes you fitter and faster.

Coaching is a popular answer, and coaching is good for some people. But, there are lots of cheap ways to get training advice, including from some very good books. There is no substitute for riding your bike, and a trainer will make that easier and more productive to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<This weeks question is: I have limited funds to devote to new training/racing equipment, being that they all cost in the neighborhood of $1000, what would help me the most, Computrainer, powercranks, or race wheels? This is a hypothetical question at the moment still trying to recover from the new bike purchase>>

Whole heap of thoughts here: how big are you and what distance races are your training for? The reason I ask is because if you are running high mileage and are a "larger" runner (say, over 145 150 lbs.), than shoes for one year can eat up a portion of that thousand dollars.

Do you have a heartrate monitor? While threads can go on and on regarding determining proper zones, my best use of an HRM is for keeping recovery workouts in recovery zone. I have a problem with going out too hard on what should be a "recovery" workout. When I was in my 20's, it didn't matter so much. As I get "older" I find recovery workouts to be more beneficial. You don't need to blow big dollers on a monitor, just get a good decent one for about $100.00.

Wheels are a good choice. They needn't be fancy either. Just having a decent set of "race wheels" with "race tires" that you don't use for training is a good idea IMHO. For one, if you "ding" your training wheels two days before a race, you still have your race wheels for race day. If you bring your training wheels to the race, Murphy will be somewhat stymied and will have to go pester another athlete. There may be some triathletes or roadies in your area looking to sell off a set of wheels so they can get this years hot shiz.

Do you have a wetsuit? Do you need a wetsuit? Do you plan on racing in areas where a wetsuit is highly recommended or required?

HTH

Brett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can't always ride outside and you don't have any sort of bike-trainer then that would be my first choice by far. Nothing pays dividends like consistent training. One that offers more features than an annoying sound would be a plus. Coaching is nice but if you pay attention to your body, you can make it a long way on your own or by getting free advice from fellow athletes. I would only consider race wheels once the potential time savings is the only thing that separates you from the podium (or you have another 1k$ to blow).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my take (and please bear in mind I manufacture and sell PowerCranks)

I think it depends upon how serious you are. If you think you will be pretty serious for the next several years then I think the best value, bar none, of all on that list is PowerCranks. Followed by Computrainer, followed by coach, followed by wheels, followed by new bike (which you got first).

The reason is, going fast is all about the engine. Lance could pretty much kick everyone's butt here riding a fat tire with 32 spoke wheels. The best engine enhancer of the bunch is the PC's. Further, they are just like a coach, a hard assed coach that won't let you pedal "wrong" ever again (as long as they are on your bike). So for less than $1000 you start learning to pedal properly the next day and you will have a pedaling coach with you on every ride for the next 10 years or so. And, the best thing of all is the run improvement they give you at the same time. No other product does both of these.

Next is the CompuTrainer because, even though the PC's do a lot for your stroke, more can be done and the CT is a good tool to fine tune your stroke. However, the CT alone cannot do what the PC's do so if you get it first you will be "fine tuning" only 50% of your muscles. This "pedaling coach" will also be with you for 10 years or so for that one time investment.

Next is a coach. A coach cannot look at you and know how you are pedaling and correct it. One possible exception is to get a bike fit done but that really isn't a coach. To get that kind of involvement from a coach is going to cost you a lot more than $1000. However, a coach can help you train to maximize what you have for specific races. Maximizing what you got if what you got is bad isn't particularly well spent money. And a coach costs from the first day and goes away when you stop paying. Seems to me to be premature when a lot of improvement can come just from more time on the bike even if you don't do the other two above. If your goals are more than just this year then I think I would wait until you had a good base and spend your money on a good book that will tell you what a coach will tell you right now. A coach right now is premature unless you nix 1 an 2 above.

Wheels won't do you any real good until you are good. Same with RotorCranks. All they will do is make you a little less mediocre. Aerobars are a good speed investment if you do not already have them. Spend your time and money on developing your engine and it will be time and money well spent.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap pro built into the wheel of your choice and cyclingpeaks software. Or perhaps if you find a good deal on an ergomo.

Its not even close :).

OT
Quote Reply
Re: Jim's question of the week. [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wheels won't do you any real good until you are good. Same with RotorCranks. All they will do is make you a little less mediocre. Aerobars are a good speed investment if you do not already have them. Spend your time and money on developing your engine and it will be time and money well spent.

Rotor Cranks are an advantage at any level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-Get a proper fit on your bike with aerobars.
-Buy and read The Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel
-Buy and read Going Long by Gordo Byrn and Joe Friel
-Spend an hour/day reading the above books and the articles on Gordo's Tip's page http://www.byrn.org/gtips/gtips.htm
-If you have time go to Gordo's Tri Forum. Read and ask more questions
-And JFT!
-If you have the funds, a CompuTrainer is a great investment. I got mine when I first started triathlon eight years ago and it works as well today as when I got it.

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply
Re: Jim's question of the week. [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that there is a tradition in the forum to not contradict people who try to make a business here, but I was shocked by some remarks you made about the importance of coaching.

I won't even comment on the order of importance of a coach, third after the gizmo you sell and a magnetic trainer, but to see stuff like "a coach can help you train to maximize what you have for specific races. Maximizing what you got if what you got is bad isn't particularly well spent money" written makes me think that either you don't realize the importance of a good coach for the correct development of an athlete of any level, which is bad for someone involved in a sport like triathlon, or that you're downplaying the importance of coaching in order to sell your stuff.

To finish this I'll quote you directly, guess who from the two of us are contradicting themselves...

"Spend your time and money on developing your engine and it will be time and money well spent"

Paulo

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jim's question of the week. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fellow had a $1000 to spend and was asking for the best way to spend it. In addition, he happened to be a newbie. I just thought his money was best spent doing things to improve his base or form that he could continue to benefit from his entire career rather than spending it on a coach way before he is ready to be competitive. I don't deny coaching can be worthwhile but when one has limited resources one must prioritize. If the person needs a coach to tell them to get out and train or they won't do it then the coach is the first priority. BTW, CT is more than a magnetic trainer. The value of CT, in my opinion, is in the spinscan and ergometer modes, otherwise it is just a well made trainer. Just my opinion. At least I made sure he knew my bias.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will third (or whatever number we're up to) the vote for the PowerTap. I have both a CompuTrainer and a PowerTap, and if I had to choose one, I would definitely pick the PT. (I bought the CT first, or I wouldn't have both.) You could get a PT Pro and a decent trainer for what a CT would cost you, and you can use the PT outdoors. Unless you REALLY like riding indoors - then get the CT!
Quote Reply
Re: Jim's question of the week. [CarolJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I have to ask because I have no idea, what's a Powertap? As long as I am responding I would like to thank everyone for their insight in answering my post. Oh, a quick note to the people with specific recommendations, as per my original post, at this time the $1000 is hypothetical, so in the spirit of Mr. Tibbs, if anybody would like to donate any of the above suggestions I will have no arguement.

Thanks Jim

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A PowerTap is a power measurement device that is built into the hub of your rear wheel. The cyclecomputer records the data, and you can download the data onto your computer and analyze it.

The CompuTrainer gives you the added benefit of the SpinScan feature and programmable courses, which are both nice. But it still only allows you to ride indoors. That's why the PowerTap is good - set up on the trainer and you can do your power-based interval training indoors. When the weather is nice, you can take it off the trainer and do the same power-based intervals outside.

Check here: http://www.cruciblefitness.com/...s/critical-power.htm for some info on training with power. There are other websites, too.

And here's the link to the PowerTap web page: http://www.cycleops.com/...ucts/powertappro.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been doing tris for 4 years now.. and while i didn't/don't quite have the funds to drop 1000 off the bat, i think perhaps the best investment is a trainer.. i bought one this winter after suffering last winter in the university cardio room, on piece of s*it bikes, and i honestly after getting on twice a week over the winter have become much stronger that i was at this point last year.

It might be good to get powercranks, but if you have nothing to attach your bike to (indoors atleast) in my opinion your wasting them.. but then i live in kingston (canada) where its cold/wet/snowing/disgusting outside for a good 4-6 months a year.. if you live where you can bike outdoors for more than that then powercranks might help.
Last year, i bought race wheels (Ksyriums, for draft legal races) and honestly while they look awsome, i think in retrospect that i should have bought a trainer last year, and wheels this year.. next year i think powercranks.. however, this leads to my next point.. you WILL eventually (by the laws of triathlon) accumulate all the gear sooner or later..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm going to throw in a vote for the cheapskate retro-grouch option.

Unless you can't make any significant improvements with what you already have, save your money and keep training. I mean, good grief, you're looking for the best way to spend money you don't even have- pardon me for saying so, but that's nuts.

Will all of the things you mention help you? I would guess that they would. Will they help you so much more than simply training that they justify an expense of one thousand bucks? Not IMO. Keep in mind that I have no idea what level of performance you're at, and I am apparently a cheap SOB. So ymmv.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Jim's question of the week. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But everyone wants new toys!

I don't think you can get a computrainer for a grand anymore but it would still be my recommendation. Hands down, no question the best training tool you can buy. That said, I would check out some of the other new offbrand computer trainers that you see in some of the catalogs. I have no idea if they're any good or not but they are a lot cheaper. If you don't like any of the offbrands, buy a computrainer. They're not cheap but you won't regret it.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: Jim's question of the week. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of people are missing my point on my question of the week. I am just using this to gather information on things I don't know much about. Probably wouldn't buy any of these things even if I had the money, until next year or year after. The point was to do it in an interesting format that would get some well thought out respones, which it has. I got tri lore back on things I didn't even ask about and tons of good advice from all of you more expierenced STr's. I am already writing things down for next weeks Question Of The Week.

Jim

Jim

Quote Reply

Prev Next