Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jellyfish in the water at PCB
Quote | Reply
Just got in from an ocean swim, the water is perfect, just a touch on the cold side but great for swimming.

BUT there were large jellyfish all over the place, I dont know if they are the stinging kind and didnt want to find out as I have a sleeveless wetsuit.

Does anyone know if these things sting or not?????

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Re: Jellyfish in the water at PCB [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think they like hairy feet, so you should be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Jellyfish in the water at PCB [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
verry funny, your gonna pay for that comment!!!!

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pee on yourself before the swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they sting. I got one on the back of my calf a few years ago. It feels about like a bee sting. It didn't really affect my race, but I did break out in hives the following day.
Quote Reply
Re: Jellyfish in the water at PCB [Bucky_D.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because you didnt pee on yourself
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All Jellyfish are the stinging kind. There is a good possibilitiy they wiil be gone by race time though. Or myabe there will be more at race time. Dont worry I get stung all the time by them. Unless you are allergic you will be fine. Im not really sure if people can be allergic to them though. You can always have your new roomy pee on the stings.

Seriously, the stings are not to bad. If stung just ignore it for awhile and it will stop bugging you after awhile. The afflicted area will be red for awhile though, with maybe a small welt.

Edit: I need to learn how to type faster. there was 3 new posts by the time I typed my response. grrrrr!!!!

Last edited by: SRQ_3sport: Oct 31, 05 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were a jellyfish, I would be absolutely pissed at the 2000 people bearing down on me, and I would think that I would make it my life's mission to sting as many folks as possible.

Good luck, and pray that they turn it into a duathlon.

And send Miami79 my regards.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Jellyfish in the water at PCB [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
because you didnt pee on yourself
Do you mean before or after I got stung in the middle of the swim melee?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the blue one's are Portugese Man O War and very painful. stay far away. the pink ones do sting but not nearly as bad. take vinegar with you and if you get stung then spray vinegar onto area and it will neutralize toxin. be careful!!!!

Lee Zohlman, Lead Coach/President
BodyZen Multi Sport Coaching
http://www.bodyzen.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jellyfish in the water at PCB [Bucky_D.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
before during and after
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a race in Denmark where there were thousands! They said some research showed if one removes the material from the area, it helped the duration of the pain. So they had disposable razors on shore, and said one swipe would do it. Don't know if anyone did that, but the bad ones were red in color. WhenI did PCB they were around, but absolutely nothing to concern yourself with.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty common to see them below the surface just dangling like a, uh, well, jelly fish. Its when they float on the surface that most people are in danger of being stung. But, I've swam in a couple events at this venue where I could see them below me, but they never were on the surface.

I once was stung on the face once during a race. It felt like my lips swelled up and I was sure my face would be covered in red streaks when I got to shore. I just kept swimming and dealing w/ the stinging feeling. When I reached land, all symptons were gone. No red streaks as I feered and no pain. So, I would not be too worried about the jelly fish.
Quote Reply
Re: Jellyfish in the water at PCB [SRQ_3sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The jellyfish had a white/brown boulbous head and small trailing tentacles, they were everywhere, Miami79 offered to pee on me but im not into watersports.

Hopefully the pros will get a 15 minute head start and take all the initial stings and clear them out :))))

Last edited by: Heavy D: Oct 31, 05 12:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few times I have been there, they had jellyfish that looked like softballs, with very few tentacles. They were not a problem, they mostly just bounced off you. If they have long tentacles, they can be a problem. Draft off somebody, and if you hear them yell, swing wide.

A buddy was down there one year when jellyfish were washing up on the shore. He and his wife were walking along the beach, when a little kid ran up holding a jellyfish by the top. They told him he could get hurt doing that. He informed them "That they only sting you if you grab them by the testicles."

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WooHoo!! I've got a fullsuit!!!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some folks smear exposed skin (arms, neck, face) with vaseline to supposedly ward off jellyfish stings. Can't vouch for it, as I've never done it.

HH

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HD forget to mention that we are also in need, now, of a pool to swim in - if anyone knows. Our hotel pool is nice with a waterfall and all but not suited for laps. I've left messages with the Panama City swim team and the Gulf Shores Community College pool director. Anyone know of anything else around here???
Quote Reply
Re: Jellyfish in the water at PCB [miami79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hook up with a US NAVY DEEP SEA DIVER, maybe they can get you the base to swim......Beer works for good barter!!!!

Yes, PC is the home of the Navy's Dive School!!!!!! HOOYAH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we will be fine with wetsuits on only our faces we may need to watch out for.
Quote Reply
Re: Jellyfish in the water at PCB [p3chick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
make sure you close your eyes when you pee on yourself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heavy D...as someone who is scared to DEATH of swimming in the ocean (or open water for that matter) I just have to say...YOU BASTARD!!!!

What are you thinking with a thread and subject title like this! I'm gonna be there Wednesday morning in my sleeveless! Quintana Roo standing on the sand for an hour trying to muster the courage to get in that water thanks to this damn thread!

Damnit!

Seriously, i'm not happy. Someone quick post reasons why I won't get stung or why they'll be gone by Saturday. I've been stung before, and that shit hurts! And I will not subject myself to Golden Showers, so don't even ask Fran-swah!
Quote Reply
Re: Jellyfish in the water at PCB [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they be gone - there will be enough action in the water - that they will disperse - the other thing - unless you are the lead swimmer - or in the lead group come race day - the movement of all the other athletes will have an effect similar to Moses and the Red Sea - a nice chanel free of jellyfish - to swim in!!
Quote Reply
Re: Jellyfish in the water at PCB [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just get someone to pee on you. You'll be ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look at it this way - between the sharks, red tide and jelly fish we'll all be PB'ing the swim:)

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply

Prev Next