Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jan Frodeno
Quote | Reply
This guy was training 45 hours per week leading up to Olympics. This explains why he is doing so well now. How the hell do you train this much? This is insane. I'm sure he is not going easy all the time too. He is no little guy either....6'3" and 168lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [TRIDAVID2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIDAVID2 wrote:
This guy was training 45 hours per week leading up to Olympics. This explains why he is doing so well now. How the hell do you train this much? This is insane. I'm sure he is not going easy all the time too. He is no little guy either....6'3" and 168lbs.

Spit my coffee out reading this. He's an olympic gold medalist. THAT explains why he is doing so well now (and in the past and the future).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he wasnt training 45h a week. no triathlete does that either. unless you count streatching, massage, tp massage, foam roller, yoga in your total hours time. He is badass...but like most other full time pro, he is putting 20-30h a week and any itu guys is putting enough milage that will make them very good at long distance triathlon with a relatively short preparation!

great race this weekend in St-George... the field was amazing!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't he coached by that "more is more" guy? Seems to be working…..

Having said that I think the 45 hours per week is exaggerated, could be true but to average 45 hours some weeks would have to be over 50. Or look at yearly volume, that is like 2200 hours, when top swimmers, rowers and cyclists might hit just cover a 1000-1300.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw running down the leaders yesterday. Wow! Just wow!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:09. Blows my mind!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Isn't he coached by that "more is more" guy? Seems to be working…..

Having said that I think the 45 hours per week is exaggerated, could be true but to average 45 hours some weeks would have to be over 50. Or look at yearly volume, that is like 2200 hours, when top swimmers, rowers and cyclists might hit just cover a 1000-1300.

Maurice

If this is coming from his Asics Made of Sport video I believe he said "Up to 45 hours per week" as in his biggest weeks were 45 which I totally believe. Has average could still hover around 30.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
1:09. Blows my mind!

Run was short. By quite a bit. I had as 20.3km, and GPS tends to measure long more often than short. They took out a big chunk of the run - an out-and-back on the way coming into town - and didn't quite make up for it with other changes to the run course.

1:12 on that course is still insane...

As a general rule, absolute times in triathlon are pretty meaningless. What's impressive is how much faster than the rest of that field that Jan ran. Relative times are typically much more informative (women's winner relative to men's, as an example).

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably took the "Specialized Day in the Life" and times 7...... voila! 45 hours a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-8NeoTfeI

Not realistic. Probably consistently in the low to mid 30's easily though.
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough! Agreed on absolute times being meaningless.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
Probably took the "Specialized Day in the Life" and times 7...... voila! 45 hours a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-8NeoTfeI

Not realistic. Probably consistently in the low to mid 30's easily though.

Enjoyed that video. The guy can swim: in the vid he talks of doing 4 x 400 scm on 5:00, followed by 4 x 200 on 2:30, then 4 x 100 on 1:15, and of doing 20 x 100 scm on 1:20 coming in around 1:12, which are pretty impressive sets IMO. He also mentioned doing up to 40 km/wk in the pool when in a swim block, and of training with a top German distance freestyler who has gone 14:57 for 1500 lcm, which is only 26 sec off the WR of 14:31:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:

For argument sake, let's just say that times are not meaningless and also that Rappstar's Garmin is correct.
(I would never take Garmin over the official course distance, but my Garmin agreed with Rappstar's, and Rappstar's reasoning seems solid).

If we take the course elevation change measurement from the website (2059 ft), and we combine that with Rappstar's GPS (20.3k) and we plug it into www.runworks.com------- we get a prediction of 1:08.53.
(That assumes we could find a flat 70.3 course)

That is a remarkably fast run. Probably one of the best ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well,...watch the last 1min of this video... this will give you a clear picture of what fordeno do ...or dont...for training. Simon as train with Jan for a summer, we chatted a fair bit about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAPYCwDG6PU

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Last edited by: jonnyo: May 4, 14 21:57
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
renorider wrote:

For argument sake, let's just say that times are not meaningless and also that Rappstar's Garmin is correct.
(I would never take Garmin over the official course distance, but my Garmin agreed with Rappstar's, and Rappstar's reasoning seems solid).

If we take the course elevation change measurement from the website (2059 ft), and we combine that with Rappstar's GPS (20.3k) and we plug it into www.runworks.com------- we get a prediction of 1:08.53.

Yeah, again, uhm no. I have an corrected elevation gain of 318m. That's 1034 ft. 2059 is just nonsensical. My guess is that's unchanged from when it was an Ironman and was two loops of that course.

Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of equivalency. You know what's "equivalent" to an 1:08:53 for 21.1km? Running a 1:08:53 for 21.1km.

It *WAS* a remarkably fast run. Because he ran (roughly) a minute faster than several of the best triathletes in the world at the 70.3 distance. You don't need to use any sort of stupid calculator to see that.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Folks!

Jan is coached by Dan Lorang currently, his old coach from his ITU days.

Frodo ran a 01:08:52 in Wiesbaden btw, which was a 4 lap run with 131 feet of climb every lap ;)

I am pretty excited to see how he will do in Frankfurt this summer :)

Cheers,
Sebastian
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [brandiruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Listen to his interview on Competitor Radio with Bob Babbit. Jan speaks about how in his earlier years he trained 45 hours and ended up injuring/burning himself out. Highly doubt he does that now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:
renorider wrote:

Yeah, again, uhm no. I have an corrected elevation gain of 318m. That's 1034 ft. 2059 is just nonsensical. My guess is that's unchanged from when it was an Ironman and was two loops of that course.

Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of equivalency. You know what's "equivalent" to an 1:08:53 for 21.1km? Running a 1:08:53 for 21.1km.

It *WAS* a remarkably fast run. Because he ran (roughly) a minute faster than several of the best triathletes in the world at the 70.3 distance. You don't need to use any sort of stupid calculator to see that.

Jordan,

Your comment in bold above doesn't make sense to me. If this were true then running the St. George 70.3 Half Marathon course (as an open HM) should be equivalent to running an open half marathon in pancake flat Houston. I'm sorry but there is no way that a 1:08 effort in the St. George course is equivalent to a 1:08 effort on the Houston course. I mean, do you really believe that?!

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:
renorider wrote:

Jordan,

Your comment in bold above doesn't make sense to me. If this were true then running the St. George 70.3 Half Marathon course (as an open HM) should be equivalent to running an open half marathon in pancake flat Houston. I'm sorry but there is no way that a 1:08 effort in the St. George course is equivalent to a 1:08 effort on the Houston course. I mean, do you really believe that?!

but those are not equivalent courses and that is the point Jordan is trying to make. You run a x:xx:xx time, then you ran x:xx:xx time. If you want to find what you can run on another course then run on another course, don't use formulas to measure an equivalent time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you don't understand.

Jordan is a grown ass man who deals in a world that values results, with results being typically expressed as 1 thru 10 or something like that, with a preference for 1-5. IOW, time is irrelevant. 1st is not equivalent to 10th.

The rest of us are hobbyists who enjoy crunching times and wondering what our times will be/would have been/might have been. 1:30 at St. George by a guy from TX is equivalent to what at my local HIM?

Lock_N_Load wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:
renorider wrote:

Jordan,

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be so quick to trust a website either. There is no way that the St. George 70.3 run has nearly 2x the elevation gain of IM Lake Placid. Look at the times, that many guys running 1:13 and under, after a very challenging bike, on a challenging run course, in 90+ temps... you don't need a equivalency caluculator or a Garmin to tell you its short.

As to the equivalency issue, I understand it's mostly just for fun and speculation, but the point is that equivalency doesn't mean anything. It's like when someone runs the fastest run of the day and wins and then people say "but your run was far slower than the course record run." Who cares? It was faster than everyone else and that dude WON. Jan ran significantly faster than everyone else, over whatever distance they ran, and that "everyone else" included some of the fastest dudes in the world! There is nothing you can say to make that more impressive including saying some equation equates that to a 1:XX. The guy beat everyone on the day by outrunning them all. Nuff said.

http://ianmikelsonracing.com/2013/
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [mikelsonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikelsonian wrote:
Don't be so quick to trust a website either. There is no way that the St. George 70.3 run has nearly 2x the elevation gain of IM Lake Placid. Look at the times, that many guys running 1:13 and under, after a very challenging bike, on a challenging run course, in 90+ temps... you don't need a equivalency caluculator or a Garmin to tell you its short.

As to the equivalency issue, I understand it's mostly just for fun and speculation, but the point is that equivalency doesn't mean anything. It's like when someone runs the fastest run of the day and wins and then people say "but your run was far slower than the course record run." Who cares? It was faster than everyone else and that dude WON. Jan ran significantly faster than everyone else, over whatever distance they ran, and that "everyone else" included some of the fastest dudes in the world! There is nothing you can say to make that more impressive including saying some equation equates that to a 1:XX. The guy beat everyone on the day by outrunning them all. Nuff said.

I get this. However, the way Jordan made his point it sounded like he was making a point about a technical fact. I understand that when it comes to the pro-competition equivalency between courses is irrelevant. If you are asking the question: which course is faster? then the equivalency question is absolutely relevant. Some courses are faster than others. In the context of the pro-competition it doesn't matter but for a "little age-grouper" like myself it speaks volume as to what your result really means in light of past experience/courses and preparation. Not everyone is a pro and not everyone is out there for a Kona slot, for those of us in that boat equivalency is a relevant data point.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I CERTAINLY did NOT mean my comments to be in any way a stab at age groupers or any group of athletes. So I apologize if they came across that way.

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding here. If you are using equivalency calculators to take what someone of relative ability did and extrapolate a ball park performance for yourself on a different course, I have serious doubts as to the efficacy of that, but it's harmless fun/figuring so have at it. If you're trying to see which course is "faster," again, it seems there is a much easier way to figure that, but also fun figuring.

I was just saying that you don't need to use, and it takes focus and impact away from the only thing that really matters, his run/race relative to his competitors. All the sudden people use those calculators and say "well, according to this calculator, so & so's run at Lake Winnepasakie sprint tri was a 'better run' because it was equivalent to a 1:06 half marathon." Just like next year a guy can win St. George by outrunning the field by 2.5mins with a 1:13:45. That will be a DAMN IMPRESSIVE feat, but someone will likely say, "yeah but Frodo ran 1:09 last year." That is meaningless. On the day, this fictional performance would be remarkably better than those of the rest of a extremely talented field. It would stand on it's own. Just like Jan's run / race yesterday stands on it's own.

http://ianmikelsonracing.com/2013/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some courses are faster than others.//

Ya, that is what jordan said. Short courses are faster than legal or longer ones. Seems pretty simple to me. And if you want to compare some short course you did with another one that is not, well that seems silly, but knock yourself out with your new PR. But don't you think kind of goes against common sense, or like someone getting their ironman tat after doing an olympic distance race??
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan is no doubt correct. (I feel silly about the elevation thing).
Yet it is fun to try to compare and contrast. And Frodeno's run was spectacular.
Some Greek philosopher said that you cannot cross the same river twice, for it is a different river each time, and you a different person. But that won't do either.

What is interesting about the st. George run is that the last 5k is down hill. Very difficult course, but if you are fast and feeling good, you could really go fast. (And that is what Frodeno did).
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it is worth (and my Garmin is not usually correct) I got distance- 12.74 mi (20.51k) and 1299 ft.
Quote Reply

Prev Next