Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jacob Piils selling more Cervelos...
Quote | Reply
He's at it again, 15:00 up the road. Piils has got to have the "Most Combative" award. He has been resplendid in this first week of the Tour.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jacob Piils selling more Cervelos... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does gerad pay you to write this stuff? you could comment on piils without saying anything about cervelo sales.

when is the commercial going to stop?
Quote Reply
Re: Jacob Piils selling more Cervelos... [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I told you he was a sellout!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. To me there is some irony (not all of it positive) that people will sit in front of the TV one day, then be compelled to phone my store the next and say, "Do you have any of these Cervelos I'm seeing on TV?"

As a retailer, this is both good and bad.

It is frustrating that I can work hard all year long to try to get people on a nice bike that is well built, durable and fits them well. Then, a couple minutes of TV exposure under the right guy and they instantly want the bike.

This points to the intenselyemotional nautre of people's buying decisions. Sure, people say they do research, understand bike fit and know why they are buying a given product. But to me, this only confimrs it is still very much about fashion.

Now, that is fine with me- or rather, my CPA. Every dollar has a hundred cents. But it is funny you can talk about the virtues of a product ad nauseum in technical terms and not get people interested. Then, one exposure on the big screen and they're like, "Ahh, do you take Visa?"

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I should have added- Taking nothing away from how nice (I think) his bike is, the performance of Piils is the real story.

I love guys who race like him.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Owenmiller [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prove it. I want data.

If you were to run some regressions, I think you will find that your supposition is not in fact correct. All the "I saw it on TV" syndrome does not over the long haul sell more of luxury goods, but rather incents people to act sooner (your pulling money forward, which has value from a time value of money standpoint). A high end bike is not like a $100 gimmick that people impulse buy. What the TDF does is increase interest in the sport overall, thus selling more new bikes, but what happens stage to stage really does not do that much. The event driven retail regressions that I have read for cable broadcasts bear this out. If I would not be violating their copyright, I would post them.

That however was not the point. The point was that your constant Cervelo pumping is annoying.
Last edited by: bryanjaf: Jul 8, 04 8:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more impressed with Bianchi. Anything that can support that giant without busting to pieces must be pretty solid...
Quote Reply
Re: Jacob Piils selling more Cervelos... [Owenmiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it was a dual comment/observation/sales attempt.

Point 1: People saw a Cervelo 2.5 during television coverage of the Tour de France. This compelled them to phone my store and inquire about them. I find that worthy of remark.

Point 2: Jacob Piils had ridden an impressive and aggresive race in my opinion.

Point 3. To me, as a retailer, it is interesting how much attention CSC's bikes have attracted and how that has translated to inquiries. Footnote: I haven't actually sold any R 2.5's.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I get a link to a pic of Piils bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about my constant Felt, Guru, Litespeed, Desoto T1, Shimano, Campagnolo, Aquasphere, Sugoi, general Bikesport, and Denise Richards pumping?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't find those other posts annoying at all. i even use some of those products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can I get a link to Denise Richards pumping? (although, have you seen her since 'ol Mr. Sheen got a hold of her?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Demerly--Keep pumping the Cervelos. It makes me feel like the smartest man on earth, with a P2K (Mine) and P3 (GF) set up on Cycleops in the Living room. I pimped them both out with that Cipo zebra tape on the outside bars, and sweet Specialized bottle holders that don't launch. We don't ride them. We just look at them and say "Aren't those bikes cool". Then she says "Mine's cooler". I agree, and then we have sex. We do this seven times a night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is Denise Richards" Can I have link to her pic?
Quote Reply
Re: Jacob Piils selling more Cervelos... [Deadlast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not probelem at all with the thread title - Surely Cervelo sponsor CSC to increase exposure and sales (and help improve porducts). No sponsors = no pro's and no Tour. + more sales for Cervelo = more money to plough into R&D = better bikes for us.

Sounds to be that we have some anti Capitalists on the forum.

I am sure CSC success last year must have helped sell a few more bikes outside the Tri community that most Cervelo owners prevoiusly came from.
Quote Reply
Re: Jacob Piils selling more Cervelos... [Deadlast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Jacob Piils selling more Cervelos... [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine this image in Gallery #4 will get Mr. Demerly pumping: http://www.adoredcelebrities.com/.../images/denise53.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Jacob Piils selling more Cervelos... [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least the tour is getting some people interested in buying Cervelo, I for one was going to buy one but will not as I am presently boycotting Canadian products because of their refusal to hand over the soldiers who are hiding out up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That however was not the point. The point was that your constant Cervelo pumping is annoying.

Bit harsh isn't it. I read this board quite a bit and have never noticed Tom pumping Cervelo constantly, or even much at all. Everyone on here raves about them (fair enough too, I ride one but have had mine since before they became "cool") so it's actually quite surprising that a retailer like Tom, who clearly is very impressed by the bikes, doesn't in my opinion mention them much at all.

Anyway, that's all boring stuff, I'm more interested in Tom's revelation below:

In Reply To
What about my constant......Denise Richards pumping?[/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: Jacob Piils selling more Cervelos... [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The post was about Jacob Piils and his performance thus far in the TDF. It then included a unnecessary and shameless plug for Cervelo. I'm not anti-capitalist (I did get me MBC FGS), I don't watch commercials on TV and I sure don't need them here if I can at all help it.
Quote Reply
Re: Jacob Piils selling more Cervelos... [camel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You clearly have not been paying attention then. Before you return comment, do a search on Tom D and Cervelo. Call me next week when you are done reading them.

I rest my case.
Last edited by: bryanjaf: Jul 8, 04 10:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about my constant Felt, Guru, Litespeed, Desoto T1, Shimano, Campagnolo, Aquasphere, Sugoi, general Bikesport, and Denise Richards pumping?

Those are all annoying, too. I wish you'd just shut up entirely, and I'm sure the rest of the forum does, too. Haven't you noticed how we all try to ignore you?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a logo impression and a qualifier and you are right - it's more of an incentment for the consumer. Someone is NOT going to go directly from watching the Tour de France on OLN to Tom's shop and buy a Cervelo. However, when people see the bikes on TV; they see them in pictures on Xtri and in Inside Triathlon and Inside Tri mags; They see them being ridden by top triathletes and not-so-top triathletes; They see the ads;They read the reviews - It starts to put together a picture of the bike that they want to buy.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next