Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Its on!!
Quote | Reply
Larsen out-of-the-water in 54:11, less than 5 minutes down on Lieto and Brown, and is now moving through the field. We could be in for a fun race.
Quote Reply
Re: Its on!! [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting stuff already...

By 46km Larsen has halved the gap to Cam, Chris, Tony, etc...

Tom Evans an age grouper is in 4th! 3rd outta the water, he's now caught up to Steven and Brent. Can this guy run too?

I'm surprised Chris Lieto seems content to ride with Cam & Tony. Maybe he's just waiting for the Larsen train to go by so he can hook on?

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Got 'em [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larsen leading the chase to the three leaders and it looks like Lieto and Brown are trying to tag along. I don't have audio, so is anybody getting any good info from the live feed?
Quote Reply
Re: Got 'em [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
audio: at 85km, Lieto and Larsen have now 1' on
Cam Brown et al.
Quote Reply
Re: Got 'em [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess Brown is going to roll the dice. I'm pretty impressed by the swimmers, they have stayed away for quite awhile. Lieto has a chance to really show what he's got here. It will also be interesting to see how Steve reacts, he's never had anyone stay up with him before. Any splits for the first bike lap?
Quote Reply
Re: Got 'em [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really is decsion time for Brown. Should he let them go or should he try and ride with the big bikers? I say that he can let them get about 5 min up the road before he should start to worry. He has been awefully consistant on the run over the past few years.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Got 'em [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" Bjorn Andersson is holding strong! He's still 1:25 out front of Chris Lieto, separated from Steve Larsen by one second! "

One second? How 'bout those drafting marshals!
Quote Reply
Re: Got 'em [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the pace they're going, one second is several bike lengths(not in the mood to do the exact math), which is perfectly legal. Oh yeah, the lead is down to 500 meters now.
Quote Reply
Re: Got 'em [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, at 25mph they are travelling 11.28 m/s. I forget the pro distance, but isn't it 3 meters or 5 meters?

It sounds like Bjorn the Swede might be a big asset for Chris & Steve. If he can keep pace, then there is one more person to go around and they can stretch a little further.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Where's Cameron? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How far back do you guys think Cameron Brown and Olivier are? I haven't heard a mention of them in awhile. My guess is at least 5:00 by now.
Last edited by: jaylew: Feb 28, 03 14:18
Quote Reply
Re: Where's Cameron? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scratch that. Just heard. At 140k Cameron 4:48 behind leader(3:48 behind Steve and Chris), Bernhardt 1:37 behind Cameron.
Quote Reply
MacFadden? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And what happened to MacFadden, the three-seed from Canada? And who is this Swede? The guy is tearing it up out there.
Quote Reply
what bike split??? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
larsen at 165km after 4:40.
say 26-27 for the last 15km as it climbs a bit
that's hitting T2 in 5:10 after transition
less 54'+2' of T1 which gives something like
4:14...
can this be right? in Taupo with its amazing oh-smooth roads??
Quote Reply
Re: Got 'em [Justin on LI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pro distance is 10m.
AG distance (in the US only I believe) is 5 or 7m
depending on the races...
Quote Reply
nevermind [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at least, not about Anderson. That sucks, a gutsy performance on the bike only to end-up in te medical tent without even getting to T2.
Quote Reply
Larsen clobbered the bike course record! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From ironmanlive.com:

Steve Larsen stripped a major amount of time from the bike course record with his unofficial 4:26:45 eclipsing the 2001 record of Peter Sandvang from Denmark of 4:34:49 by over eight minutes.
Quote Reply
doh! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, it looks like the runners are going to have their day. Ah well, its been fun to "watch" the race unfold.
Quote Reply
Re: doh! [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Unfortunately, it looks like the runners are going to have their day.
Better stated, the triathletes are going to have their day. It wasn't a swim race, it wasn't a bike race, it wasn't a running race. It was a triathlon and the person, in this case Cam Brown, that raced the best in all three disciplines won.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: doh! [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have I missed something? The race hasn't finished yet. It was the seagulls who were the winners on the day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larsen passed by Brown at 18km. Once again, it appears Ironman really does go to the runners. Bernhard is charging as well. Sorry Uber bikers, but it's true!
Quote Reply
Re: Its on!! [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest that ironman goes to the best ironman racer and not the best runner. You have to be a hell of a swimmer, biker and runner to win the thing. Kudos to Larsen for kicking the crap out of everyone with a mega-ride though. He makes it interesting that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Its on!! [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only does Cam Brown's win suggest that runners continue to dominate but just look at 3rd place South African Jan van Rooyen - traditionally a strong runner who has been top twenty on Kona - not mentioned on the bike sector at all - in fact mentioned for the first time really late on in the run...would love to know what his run time was....

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: doh! [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THANK YOU! Why do people keep saying "ooh, lookie, it was a runners race and the big bad bikers lost!" No they didn't. The TRIATHLETEs won. Cam had the best game in all three on that day. The win goes to the best triathlete, not the fastest runner. It just happened that the fastest runner was the best triathlete.

tommy
Quote Reply

Prev Next