Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

It this Good Deal on 20spd Ultegra Bike?
Quote | Reply
I have been shopping around for a nice Ultegra bike - found this online - seems like an incredible deal and have not found any better -

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...s/lsl05_med.jpg

It's $1095 with free shipping

also - what aero bars should I get?
I was looking at some visiontech mini tt bars - would those be good or the regular length ones?

what do you guys think?

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: It this Good Deal on 20spd Ultegra Bike? [jmdesignz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no first hand experience but you might want to check with some roadie forums about experience with bikesdirect before purchasing - go to roadbikereivew and velonews forums as starters.

Quote | Reply
Have you compared with Felt? They have some scorching deals

www.feltracing.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very good deal for the money, but realize that these are not the famous Motobecane bikes of old. They are no longer the French company that used to win the TDF but the name was bought by an outfit in Taiwan. But other than that....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those cranks and chainrings don't look like Ultegra. Are those STI's 105's or Ultegra? They look like FSA, I can't tell if they are Carbon or Alloy.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A guy here locally bought one of those Motobecane bikes a couple of years ago. He paid about $1200 for it and it came outfitted with a Dura Ace 9 speed group. You are basically buying the component group and getting a frame for free. I don't remember what the brake calipers were, and it would be interesting to see what bottom bracket they use (Tiagra, anyone?). It's just a question of what you want: nice frame and lesser components or nice components and lesser frame? In reality, it's probably a decent bike that you could ride for years without any problems.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: It this Good Deal on 20spd Ultegra Bike? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Those cranks and chainrings don't look like Ultegra. Are those STI's 105's or Ultegra? They look like FSA, I can't tell if they are Carbon or Alloy.
All the specs are here: http://www.bikesdirect.com/...ane/lechamp05_sl.htm

+FSA SLK CARBON Fiber Crankset ($360 MSRP)

Last edited by: Twitchslow: Jun 25, 05 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: It this Good Deal on 20spd Ultegra Bike? [Twitchslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a good deal. Between the wheels, the ritchey components, not to mention a FSA SLK crank, if the frame isn't great, sell it for $200 and get a $600 frameset and you will have spent the same money you would have spent on a Felt F65, but with better wheels and components. Thats just my two cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Theres one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7164557764&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

or this guy sells lots of new Motobecane - is factory authorized

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7165722416&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it fit?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it fits (and the retailer is reputable), it's as good as you will find.
Quote Reply
Re: It this Good Deal on 20spd Ultegra Bike? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The company will accept wire transfers only. So if there is something wrong with the transaction you will pretty much be SOL.
No way I would do business under those circumstances.
Quote Reply
Re: It this Good Deal on 20spd Ultegra Bike? [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]The company will accept wire transfers only. So if there is something wrong with the transaction you will pretty much be SOL.
No way I would do business under those circumstances.[/reply]

Hmmmm. There site looks like it takes credit cards to me?

Where did you see they only take wire transfers?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: It this Good Deal on 20spd Ultegra Bike? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the reply I got back on whether they ship to Canada...maybe it is because I am Canadian....would seem odd to me.

thanks for your email -

we sell plenty of bikes to canadians like yourself - you will have to wire
us the money and then we can ship to any of the lower 48 united states or
you can arrange for pickup by www.DHL.com at your expense.
48x8x27 30 lbs zip 77023

Wire transfers should be pre-arranged by email.

Bike must be in stock and held for customer for 24 hours.
Please email to make sure the bike is in stock and reserved for you.

Wire Transfers must add $20US non refundable wire transfer fee to Order
total.

<Account Info and Address deleted>

Let me know when you are going to do this

once we have confirmed the funds have cleared,

you can arrange for DHL pickup at
your expense

OR - we can deliver to any lower 48 United States city by FREE UPS Ground

Thanks for saving with bikesdirect.com!

Anne Johnston
bikesdirect.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a bike from them last year. Motobecane Team Century or something like that. I figured I was getting a full Dur Ace 20 with a decent set of training wheels and a free frams. I ended up really liking the bike. They really cut curners in a couple of places - pedals, seat come to mind. What I did was to get the dimentions and make sure it matched my then current bike. Then I called a LBS and told them what I was doing and made sure they were OK with me bringing it in for assembly. I wanted to avoid the understandable dirty looks one gets in that kind of situation. But, probably b/c I am a pretty good client and b/c I gave them the warning, they were cool with it.

In short, I was seceptical but am now happy. But as others have said, 'does it fit'? If you are not sure, be very careful
Quote Reply
Re: It this Good Deal on 20spd Ultegra Bike? [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I contemplated buying a bike from those guys last year because the components were worth more than what they were asking for the complete bike. Then it dawned on me that I didn't really like some of those components, and why compromise just for a deal? I'd rather buy a bike from my LBS anyway. Walked in and chatted with the owner for a while, and came away with a FAR better bike than I could have found online. Yeah, it cost a little more - but I was able to spec everything I wanted, and he worked really hard to help me keep the cost down while still getting a great ride. I also got a guaranteed good fit, and easy swapping of parts later when I changed my mind about them (longer stem, better bars, etc).

It did help that I was shopping in November though...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree as well - if it fits, that is a good deal. I doubt it is "full" Ultegra (i.e. bottom bracket, etc.)

One of my riding buddies has a Motobecane and I've ridden with him for a few years and probably a thousand miles - he has had no problems at all.

Money is important, but if you can stretch just a bit (I have no idea), then a Felt may be close as they have quite a robust low-end market.

Quote | Reply
I got one! I've been looking for a less expensive road bike to replace my 1980's era 28 lb. Specialized. I rode it ove the weekend. So far, so good. It ain't as comfy as my SoftRide Tri bike, but what is? (besides a Titanflex.) I figure that in few years I can get a really nice frame for all of those components. (American Classic sprint 350 wheels, Ultegra 10 sp STI's and derailleurs, and FSA carbon compact 36/50, Ritchey seat post, stem and handlebar. The saddle is an SLR knockoff, it's going to go. A REAL SLR will replace it.)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply