Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread)
Quote | Reply
Post your workouts.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.3 mi easy run 50 min
775 yd swim straight (last 25 kick)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of surprised that I'm sore after yesterdays swim race, but looking objectively it is just because I don't do straight swims where I go out hard, push the pace, then die in the last 300 or so. Just can't simulate that in a pool, I knew it, but neglected it..

SO today did a straight 12x200 as 2 swim/1 IM kick@2;00----2 swim@3;00(2;50/2;47)2buoy@3;00(2;46/2;44)2 paddles only@2;50(2;36/2;34)2 pull@2;40(2;29/2;28) Kicks(3;48/46/40/44)
2400SCY
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't swim today. But I hobbled through a slow, very slow 2.5 mile run. And I feel fairly good. I don't think anyone ocean swam this morning. Someone posted the huge walls of water hitting Shaw's Cove - they look about double-overhead. Now, we could get through that. Coming in would be scary, though. But many I know wouldn't even try. Supposed to calm down, so I'll be back in the swim tomorrow morning.
Grabs from video:

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great pics Steve, I tried to do a surf today but the line at sano was already an hour long, and all the usual spots were packed. Beach breaks looked ok though, will probably try one of those tomorrow. Hear the swell will still be hitting until tomorrow afternoon.

How you feeling today, I bet your arms are tired!! And how about the folks that did that race as a solo, that would be a crazy long swim done as intervals..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
impressive waves.. yes, out is relatively easy, would be spooked coming in through that..

tame pool swim, 500 moderate, 6x100IM on 2:15 at 1:43-5, 5x50 on 50s, first one hard 28s (push), rest 35-7s.

Sat 10mile hike on dirt road with dog, Sun 11 mile trails and 4000ft elevation change to 11000ft.. my bum knee wasn't happy after that..

Last edited by: doug in co: Oct 2, 18 11:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got up to go surf today, did a surf check, and drove home. Smallish, blown out, and not what the hurricane promised, but I did do my best distance workout of the last 5 years or so, guess I missed my taper; (-;

8x500- 1swim@7;15(7;02)3 pull@7;00/6;50/6;40(6;36/6;32/6;26)1IM kick@9;30(9;13) 1 pull@6;30(6;17) 1 IM kick@9;20(9;07)1 pull@6;20(6;13)

So I got in 4k in 59;23, and thats with 1k of kicking!! Super stoked as I tightened up the intervals to the point where I was just getting around 15 seconds rest, never though I would hold pace enough to match my longer rest last time I did this..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We still had some healthy waves at Shaw’s this morning. But, it was soooo cold! We swam a couple buoy laps (just over a mile), to play it safe. It’s break out the wetsuit time!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, not really looking like a surfable wave, but some juice for sure. SO how cold is the ocean there now? Amazing that just a couple days ago it was like 68 in La Jolla, had a feeling the hurricane was going to upwell some frigid stuff..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50m pool

300m easy warm up
6 x 50 on 1:00
4 x 50 on :50
4 x 50 on :45
3 x 200 on 3:00
100 easy active recovery
8 x 50 on 1:30 breath control (averaged 3 breaths per 50)
4 x 50 on 1:00 with kick board between legs
6 x 150 on 2:30 with pull buoy, paddles and ankle band
8 x 25 breath control on :45
4 x 50 sprints on 1:30
200 cool down

3800m total

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d say the cove was 61ish and 64ish 300 yards out. The cove is always colder. At least I can say I swam skin in October. I’ll really have to consider the consequences of going longer tomorrow without a wetsuit.
What’s up with Mike saying La Jolla was 76°?? I agree with 68 outside, 65-66 near the beach.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s up with Mike saying La Jolla was 76°??//

I haven't seen that, probably reversed the numbers(67) or was talking about air temp, but definitely not 76(now). Pretty interesting that we hit all time ocean temp highs this summer at 78+ though, has me wondering if this is the new normal...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the pool after three months of quality OWS in the lake (and Waikiki!).

Modest MS on a 1:30 base
4 x 200, 20 sr
100 easy
4 x 150, 15 sr
100 easy
4 x 100, 10 sr
100 easy
6 x 50, 5 sr

Felt horrible! Like learning to swim again.

For perspective, I’m holding 1:30 for 2.4m OWS without any trouble. Surprised to feel gassed holding 1:30 in the pool with a healthy rest interval.

Clearly my OWS is different (better) than my pool stroke. I suspect I lost some discipline on heady and body position while in the wettie. Time to rebuild.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and body position while in the wettie. //

At your paces that wetsuit could be worth 7/8 seconds a 100. Might that be the difference? That is a lot of time per 100, and I can totally see you cruising 1;30's with it on, and struggling in the pool to hold that interval without it. In fact, if it were not this way, something would be wrong.. Just a thought..Welcome back to the pool and fishes..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been absent from the swim threads as new born preemie twins take up quite a bit of time but.. did manage to get signed up for, and will be going to bermuda this weekend for the 'round the sound swim (10k). There are other options but, ill be in the 10k. Looking forward to it.
Managed over the past number of weeks...
Sept 2 -- 21,400
Sept 9 -- 14,600 (with a 3k open water that my watch failed on)
Sept 16 -- 15,750
Sept 25 -- 20,850
Sept 30 -- 18,456
Not bad totals and 5k on monday. Now im "resting" a bit.

Typically done over 4 swims per week, averaging about 75 min per practice.
Brag set from last week: 3 x through
4 x 50 on :40 "steady" -- I did to my feet with a flip holding 31s
1 x 100 on 1:30 "easy" -- breathcontrol every 5 strokes and held 108s
1 x 200 on 2:40 "build x 50" -- managed 2:12-2:14s
1 x 300 on 4 "fast" -- 3:19, 3:14, 3:11

Feeling ready. Was hoping Dev might show(?) Monty?? ha.. if anyone from ST is going, I hope to meet you there! Let me know.

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as new born preemie twins take up quite a bit of time //

Ya, I went through that too, and with a 2 1/2 year old too at the time. But I didn't get to come back for a year, so count yourself lucky..(-;

Good luck with the big swim, what a great excuse for a vacation too. And nice sprint set, you are certainly in good enough shape to attempt this 10k, just have to swim slower than you have all season..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

At your paces that wetsuit could be worth 7/8 seconds a 100. Might that be the difference? That is a lot of time per 100, and I can totally see you cruising 1;30's with it on, and struggling in the pool to hold that interval without it. In fact, if it were not this way, something would be wrong.. Just a thought..Welcome back to the pool and fishes..
A friend of mine, Lori, was at the La Jolla race and on her last swim, she decided to forego the wetsuit. She was shocked she was 5 minutes slower. I explained to her why - slicker skin and displacing less water with both float and better body position. She said she never realized it was that much, in fact she felt slower in the wetsuit. But this was a perfect A/B comparison. I think she likes the wetsuit now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She said she never realized it was that much, in fact she felt slower in the wetsuit. //

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that, well I would probably be in the same place as now, but with many more pesos..

I had this wild idea for next year, since I now already have the overall mens title. (-; How about a team of 60+ and we go for the overall win? But we adhere to the letter of the AG rules, use wetsuits, fins, paddles, and whatever makes you faster. I'm thinking I could hang on the feet of those high school studs with all those toys, you in?? We could call our team 60 Plus, Toys R Us!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hilarious Monty! Sure, I’m in. You’ll have to wear that Water Rover 10 mil wetsuit!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25m pool

1000m SKP(swim, kick, pull buoy)=4x(100m crawl, 50m kick with kickboard, 100m crawl with pull buoy)
4x50m, 25m climax + 25m chill with 20" rest in between
10x100m in 1'40" with 20" rest
4x25m all-out leaving every minute
4x50m cool down

2500m total
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Monty..
Yeah we are quite fortunate to even have these two! But super lucky and happy and missing any athletic stuff for this year (had plans to do xterra worlds again after getting sick last minute last year..) was absolutely worth it. With the silver lining being that next year Ill be aged up! hard to believe actually... (insert oh shit sigh here)

4K this am. IM day on wednesday.

final set was 2300 doing an odd type of ladder
200 swim 3-5-3-7 bc x 50 on 3 (did 2:24s)
150 swim as no kick, over kick, swim x 25 on 2:10 (held 152s)
100 IM strong on 1:30 (1:15s)
5 x 50 on 1:00 #2 and #4 "max" --- I did more just moderate effort but held 30-31s on the fast ones.

We went down the ladder then up but didnt repeat the 50s.
Then did that again. (kinda crazy to follow) But it really wasnt bad

DaveD

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Sad to think the wettie is worth 8”/100Y! I’ll whittle that down.

Felt better yesterday. MS:

300 on 5:00
4 x 50 - 1 on :45, 3 easy
4 x 50 - 2 on :45, 2 easy
4 x 50 - 3 on :45, 1 easy
300 pull steady
4 x 50 - on :45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
monty wrote:

A friend of mine, Lori, was at the La Jolla race and on her last swim, she decided to forego the wetsuit. She was shocked she was 5 minutes slower. I explained to her why - slicker skin and displacing less water with both float and better body position. She said she never realized it was that much, in fact she felt slower in the wetsuit. But this was a perfect A/B comparison. I think she likes the wetsuit now.

The Waikiki Rough Water Swim was a good opportunity for me to test this theory. Was pleased to hold 1:30/100Y for that swim, but had some reeeeally good feet and also found the salt water offered more buoyancy than I expected (as compared to the fresh water lakes I train in during the summer here in Seattle).

So, the moral of the story for me is to bring the wettie or find some feet.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AM - 5 mi run 44:32
PM - 2175 yd swim

20 x 100 on 1:30
175 kick c/d
played on 1m and 3m boards :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50m pool

400 easy warm up
2 x 150 on 3:00
3 x 100 on 1:45
4 x 50 sprint on 1:00
straight into 100 easy
8 x 50 kick on 1:00
3 x 300 pull (pull buoy, paddles, ankle tube)
6 x 50 pull (pull buoy, ankle tube)
4 x 50 on 50 descending
4 x 50 on 45
4 x 50 on 40
100 fast
straight into 100 easy
300 cool down

4000m total

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply