Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [malarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you have to click "Save and Exit" at the top right of the screen to save your changes.
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [joonya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"flip touch"?

Do you consider your 200 pace same/similar to your 500 pace? 200 - 500 to me would be two different paces...
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ooooo really? that is great! very possible that ill come up for that. thanks for the info!

and dont worry...pretty sure we dont swim the same events...plus, you are training MUCH more than me:)

http://www.ksweetstrispot.blogspot.com

ScottUSA
Profile Design
Fastrack Bicycle & Run
Sarasota Surge
Contemporary Alternative Care

Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [ksweet863] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
add another 3,000 for me for saturday morning.

ScottUSA
Profile Design
Fastrack Bicycle & Run
Sarasota Surge

Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [ksweet863] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I was supposed to ride this morning....BUT ended up in the pool AGAIN...

WU: 1000 swim
500 kick

SET 1: 5 x 300 (100 kick, 100 drill, 100 swim)

SET 2: 1 x 500
2 x 400
3 x 300
4 x 200
5 x 100

SET 3: 5 x 200 (S,K,I,P,S)

SET 4: 1000 pull

CD: 500 EZ

Total: 9,000 yards! yikes. I know I am ridiculous :)

~~~~~/\o
~~~~~~~~~~~~
thepalavecinos.com
snappletriteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [Luna Bananas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice workout!
Yesterday was my long run day so I went to the pool later and just yutzzed around for about an hour. I got in 2500 but mostly drills and kick sets to keep the legs loose.
I did one little main set:
1 X 400
2 X 200
4 X 100
I'm hoping to get in some good yardage this evening.

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nov. 3rd:

We swim next to the kids' groups on Saturdays. Pretty cool -- in the lane next to me was Amanda Weir. I was doing a set of 200s and she was doing 50s. If she had been doing 200s too, she likely would have lapped me. In a 50M pool. :-)

-400 choice
-4x200 free on 3:40 (3:20)
-4x100 stroke/free by 50, 1 of each stroke on 2:00
-8x50, 2 of each stroke, all drill on 1:00
-8x25, 2 of each stroke on 0:30
-8x200 pull, freestyle quarters, on 3:20 (3:06-3:10)
-200 dolphin kick w/fins on back

Total: 4000 LCM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I added my name to the "official roster"- how do I post my goal or whatever everyone else did for total yardage- this is for 1 month, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, posted my last reaction under the wrong thread. Tested 2:18 on my Halifax200 yesterday... Let's see if 2:12 is possible in the end of november...

HJ

------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saturday – November 3, 2007

3000 Long Course Meters (3281 yards)

4 X 100 on 1:30

50 to the other side of the pool

8 X 50 Kick on 1:10
(IM order)

6 X 50 on 0:55
(Each 50 swim fly w/ no breath until you have to breathe and then swim the rest of the 50 freestyle)

5 X 350 on 5:10
(All free but the middle 50 changes each round in this order: kick, breast, back, fly, free)

100 easy

Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [kevinp01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm hoping to get in some good yardage this evening."

DOOOHHHHH!!!!!
The stupid pool closes early on Saturday evening! (I don't usually swim on Sat.)
Oh well, guess I'll just go watch football, I did note the times for tomorrow though.
*sigh*

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly, you are a backstroker? I remember you saying something about being in tri swims and wishing you could just flip over on your back. But I also remember you posting some <5 min 500 free times so don't tell me you're not a good distance freestylist. I would swim the 800, 400, 200 there - scm meet.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [HJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, posted my last reaction under the wrong thread. Tested 2:18 on my Halifax200 yesterday... Let's see if 2:12 is possible in the end of november...

Nice job; I'm sure you will go 2:12 without much trouble.

I raced today, I'll estimate 4000 yds, 900 of it in the racing version of freestyle (supposedly). It didn't go well. 5:59.94 (500), 2:20.09 (200), 1:08.47 (100), 0:32.57 (50 - first leg of a 200 free relay... and then I swam another 50 free in the medley relay but I don't know my split. I scribbled a race report for my running friends but I'm not posting it here, I don't feel like obsessing over it anymore.

I may disappear for awhile...

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Nov 3, 07 17:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 3500 meters long course
300 warmup
Broken 1500 with 5X300 at race pace with 30 sec recovery between reps 27:40 5:08 for all 300's
1 st test of base phase for threshold pace of 1:42
15X100 pull on 1:50 1:35 avg
200 cool down

6500 for November 53500 to go
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, i'm gonna ask it despite my embarassment: what is sculling?
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [mayday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know what it was until I did it either, so spare your embarrassment.

So, you extend you arms all the way out and you move your hands side to side. While you're doing that you also invert and evert your hands so you are moving some water. Your arms are fulling extended the whole time. Head can be either out of water or looking down. With your head out of water it works your shoulders more [that's the point]. Kick is a normal freestyle kick. The movements are supposed to be short and quick with the arms/hands. The faster you move your hands the more your head will be out of water [if that's the way you are doing it], the more it will burn, and the faster you will go.

I don't know if I explained this well or not, so I hope it makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may disappear for awhile...

Noooooo...

Go back over your training, analyse what happened, and make the changes. I'm betting you are just a little tired. You brother's a good swimmer as well, what does he have to say? When's the next big meet?

We're getting hit by a hurricane today, so no swimming for me. I'll get in the pool tomorrow, planning on 3500 - 4000, dep on how I feel.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - your description fits my mental picture of what it might look like thinking about how you scull in a boat.

2600m for me tonight as:

400s
4x100k
8x50d (4x50 fist up, swim back, 4x50 fingertip up, catchup back)
4x100 im (sub breast for fly cause i don't know how to do it)
4x100 descend, :30 rest (1:20, 1:18, 1:15, 1:13)
8x25 count - drop 1, 1-4, 5-8 (13,12,11,10; 13,12,10,9)
4x50 dolphin kick
4x50 swim warm down

that 1:13 is 100m pr for me. what do you know, training like a swimmer makes you swim faster :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did the 500 free because my coach would make me:) now that i am a master, i swim what i want!! hehe. i would be in the backstrokes and im events:) you can have the long freestyles. i would get lapped. :)

ScottUSA
Profile Design
Fastrack Bicycle & Run
Sarasota Surge

Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Noooooo...

Go back over your training, analyse what happened, and make the changes. I'm betting you are just a little tired. You brother's a good swimmer as well, what does he have to say? When's the next big meet?

I think he would probably just shrug and say "well swim faster next time." It is that simple to him. Watching my brother swim is like a black and white photograph changing to color, and then back again. He is calm until he gets up on the blocks and then there is 100 yards of ferocious, and as soon as he touches he is calm again. I have never seen my brother excited about a time, or upset over one. Mine or his.

I don't think it's my training, unless it's possible to swim your workouts too fast. And if I am tired, some down time should take care of it ;-)

To answer your last question, there's a meet in Bath (right near where I swam yesterday - also a nice pool!) in two weeks but I don't know if I'll race or not. At the latest - December 2 in Cape Elizabeth.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't think i said thank you for this challenge earlier.

so... Thank You!

time in the water has always been time well spent for me and i am enjoying this more than i can say.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Nov. 5th:

-600 choice
-4x150 choice kick/drill/swim by 50, on 3:30 (fr/bk/fr/bt)
-400 free w/fins, alt 6 kick switch/swim by 100
-8x50 fly/free by 25 on 0:55
-4x25 on 0:30, 1 of each stroke
Main set (continuous):
-4x200 free on 2:50, 100 easy on 2:00
-3x200 free on 2:50, 200 easy on 4:00
-2x200 free on 2:50, 300 easy on 6:00
-200 free on 2:50 (hit all the 200's between 2:42-2:47)

Total: 4700 SCY
Quote Reply
Ouch! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monday, November 5, 2007

(3400 Long Course Meters (3718 yards))

Warm-Up:
100 swim
100 drill
100 swim
100 drill

Transition Set:
3 x through 50, 100, 150 as follows:
50 kick on 1:00
100 (50 stroke / 50 free) on 1:40
150 on 2:30

Main Set:
1 X 600 on 1:25 base
2 X 350 on 1:20 base
8 X 100 (2 on 1:15, 2 on 1:30, 2 on 1:15, 2 on 1:30)
(No rest between sections of the main set)
Quote Reply
Re: Ouch! [Chris A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunday, November 4, 2007
(3725 Short Course Yards)

Warm Up (1800):
300 free

(6x)100 free @ 1:20/50 stroke @ :50

(2x) 3x100 @ 1:20
#1- 100 free
#2- 25 kick/75 free
#3- 50 kick/50 free

Main Set ():
10x25
odds- no breather dolphin kick @ :40
evens- no breather free @ :30

6x75 @ :50/1:10/:50/1:00/:50/:50

10x25
odds- FAST @ :20
evens- easy @ :30

6x50 @ 1:00
distance per stroke increases by 50, while goal is to
descend times.

10x25
odds- no breather fly @ :20
evens- no breather free @ :30

6x75 easy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh! My sholders are krackeling today. Even the right one which is usually OK. I'm laying off the paddles for a while.

How do you people do it? 9000m in one day???

Quote Reply

Prev Next