Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in, I decided on swimming 5x/week as the goal, but I will track my yardage as well. I just don't want to get all about yards, since there's still lots of drill-in to be done if I want to improve..
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm retarded.... I'm going to be out of town for practically 2 entire weeks this month... plus the holiday time when the pool will be closed. There is no way I'm going to make 60k... unless I can get 10k today alone

3k on Friday the 2nd.

Erik
Strava
Last edited by: mcdoublee: Nov 4, 07 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probably stupid question but what is the 120,000 next to your name Tigerchk? ...is that for the year? quarter?...

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relax, don't stress, you'll be fine.

I've had some of my best meets when I had a terrible couple of days before. Hell, I set a pb once at a meet where I felt like I could barely swim in the warmup. Timing was all off on my fly stroke, I felt like I was plowing through the water rather than diving through the waves. Got on the blocks, look at the water. It is still. final goggle adjustment, then listen to the oh so familiar words of the starter. crouch down into a track start, pull back on the blocks. gun goes, and uncoil like a cobra striking. dive, 8 or 10 hard kicks then break the surface, now I'm a dolphin arching its way through the air. Head nice and low for the first 2 strokes, then breathe. everything was good then, everything works, everything is powerful.

You were probably just a little tired. You'll be fine today, and tomorrow you'll be FLYING. (I would have liked to have seen a little less spread on the descend, and the 4-6 descend faster than the 1-3 descend, but that's nitpicking).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Besides, have you seen how slow I am??? Yikes.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [BiasedOyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably stupid question but what is the 120,000 next to your name Tigerchk? ...is that for the year? quarter?...

Nah, that's the goal for the month. Don't pick on ME, there are a couple other people with that same goal, and joonya and Luna Bananas are going for 200k...

My yearly yardage is usually enough that if I started swimming from Sand Beach on Mt Desert Island, I'd reach Bermuda. Provided I sighted okay and stayed in a moderately straight line.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suuuuper duper busy. post-grad work. Seasons over, but have been swimming a lot. did a 7 mile open water swim almost two weeks ago and have itching to race in the pool again. doing a few meets in november with masters. should be fun.

3,500 this morning:)

http://www.ksweetstrispot.blogspot.com

ScottUSA
Profile Design
Fastrack Bicycle & Run
Sarasota Surge
Contemporary Alternative Care

Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Besides, have you seen how slow I am??? Yikes.

You said you hadn't swum in awhile, though. You'll get fast quickly...

Thanks for your other comments. I'm trying not to stress (and not doing a good job of it, though I am still pretty keyed-up). There's nothing I can do between now and noon tomorrow that will really help, aside from just resting! lol. And I don't really know what to expect for a time for either the 200 or the 500 - my best times in workouts this fall have been 2:19 and then 5:58 (yes, I realize that is like the same pace for both... I'm wierd like that) but I don't know what they'll be in the meet tomorrow. I think I'd be happy with <2:15 for the 200 and <5:45 for the 500. ohhh I don't even want to talk about times, it scares me :D and on that 100 yesterday that was 1:08, I remember what that one felt like, how am I going to hold just about that pace for FIVE of them?! AAAA!

I have to get a new suit tomorrow tooo.... I had ordered 2 of them online and they came a week ago. I got a two-piece for workouts but the one-piece I got for racing in was too big... so I sent it back.. I can't race in the two-piece, the bottom half of it will fall off! so I need to go swimsuit shopping tomorrow AM.

yup still stressing. I'll calm down eventually. This is a pretty normal pre-race state for me I think so maybe I am actually okay?!

:D

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [ksweet863] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did a 7 mile open water swim almost two weeks ago and have itching to race in the pool again. doing a few meets in november with masters. should be fun.

NICE! you should do the SCM masters meet Dec 14-16 at BU - I think that is where you went to school, right?

oh wait maybe I don't want you to becuase you are way faster than I am ;-)

Last edited by: tigerchik: Nov 2, 07 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This week's workout:

6 x 50 warmup, 30sec rest in between
Kicking Drills on side of wall
3 x (25 kick directional, 25 kick vertical) 45 second rest in between
Vertical kicking drills in deep end
4 x 50 (25 freestyle underwater recovery, 25 free) 30 sec rest in between
1 x 250
2 min rest
1 x 50 sprint
2 x 50 cool down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nov 2:

Warm-Up
200 Swim
100 kick
100 Scull
100 Swim

Workout
Stroke Count:
4X25 RI: 20
25: count your stokes
25: count minus 1 stroke
25: count minus 2 strokes
25: count minus 3 strokes

Bridge: RI: 20
8X25 variable sprints [2 sets:(FS,SF,B,S)]
3X50 Fast
2X100 Build
1X200 Pull
2X100 Build
3X50 Fast

200 Kick w/ board
100 Kick w/o board

Cool-Down
300 EZ [2x 50pull,50kick,50free]

Total = 2400 yards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do the values at the bottom of the spreadsheet change automatically or do we have to change them manually?
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this workout - I'm going to do it in the morning - I was just sitting here wondering what I should do in the pool tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't very inventive today:

wu: 4x (50k,50d,50s)
ms: ladder (100-200-300-400-300-200-100) on :20 rest, 4x50 on :35
wd: 4x50k,4x50d,2x100s

3km total. time for a nap.
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fact that you said "this WEEK's workout" has me a bit worried...

I know you're trying to be able to swim 800 yds straight. If you are trying to get better at swimming, frequency helps. Any chance you can get in the pool a couple more times? Even if it's only for 20 minutes, it'll help.

Vertical kicking is fun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What do the letters in the parentheses mean?

As to your spreadsheet question - I think that the values at the bottom (the 'distance to go' and the miles and stuff) do change on their own. It's spreadsheet magic! Maybe if the Trainer Challenge group got a cool spreadsheet they'd have more participation ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm OUT!!! After careful consideration, I decided that rather than work incredibly hard to eliminate a weakness and maximize potential as a triathlete, it's better to just survive the swim and then move into a modest top 15-ish placing via a decent bike and run combo, whilst turning a blind eye to the fact that the people who finished (way) ahead of me are all TRIATHLETES while I'm just a Dick doing a Brick...

Kidding:)

12,400scm for me so far.
Quote Reply
Re: It's NOVEMBER! the official Swim Challenge Thread [joonya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nov 2nd PM

wu
300sw, 200ki, 100im

main
6x400 on :30 rest
---100 kick, straight into 200 build, :10 break 100 @ 200-500pace (held 1:05-1:07's)
50ez

4x200 on :30 rest
---50 kick, straight into 50 build, :10 break, 100 @ 200-500 pace (:05's-:06's)
50ez

4x100 on 2:00
---25 kick, 25 swim, 50 @ 200-500 pace (held :31's)
50ez

6x50 on 1:00
---12.5 dolphin ki uw consistent (held :35's)
50ez

100 w/ flip touch call your pace (i said 1:04 and went 1:03)

200cd

total: 5,000 yards
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
November Total: 15,100 yards
November To Go: 184,900
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. I will be doing the same workout 4-5 times this week. For simplicity I just posted it once. And if goes well, next weeks will be tougher :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

What do the letters in the parentheses mean?

As to your spreadsheet question - I think that the values at the bottom (the 'distance to go' and the miles and stuff) do change on their own. It's spreadsheet magic! Maybe if the Trainer Challenge group got a cool spreadsheet they'd have more participation ;)
The parenthesis go as follows: FS = fast--slow; SF= slow--fast; B= build; S= slow.

For FS and SF you basically do 1/2 a 25 at either fast or slow pace and then switch to the other. So for SF, you'd do half at slow pace and then go straight into fast pace at about the half way point. It's just something designed by my swim coaches from my triathlon team. I haven't asked them specifically what it's for, but I can guess [guessing here] that a SF interval would help with trying to keep someone's feet in an open water swim. We don't do a lot of them [as you ca tell] because I don't think it's a huge need, but I think also something to break up the workout. Also, we are just in a prep phase right now anyway so there's no real need for specifics right now. We're just trying to get back into the swing of things.

As per the spreadsheet, I like automatic changes, that's nice. Thanks for putting that together. And yes, if they had a legit spreadsheet they might get more participation. They also might get more participation when it's not still outside riding weather. But, what do I know, I'm currently in Central Cal. I don't know the meaning of weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. I will be doing the same workout 4-5 times this week.

Okay... fwiw I think you would be better off with something different each day. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results ;)

There are some workouts you'll fall in love with and want to do over and over again but that's different.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly agree with you. Its why I like speed work, hills, and interval training to break up a week or running X miles.

Swimming for me is so new, its hard for me to imagine getting bored with anything yet. So far, I like all my drills and am seeing progress. I trust my coach as well. I work with her once a week and swim on my own 3-4 more times. So each week shes gives me a new workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For FS and SF you basically do 1/2 a 25 at either fast or slow pace and then switch to the other. So for SF, you'd do half at slow pace and then go straight into fast pace at about the half way point. It's just something designed by my swim coaches from my triathlon team. I haven't asked them specifically what it's for, but I can guess [guessing here] that a SF interval would help with trying to keep someone's feet in an open water swim.

Oh, okay. Yeah I do that too but call it something different (we say "half pool sprint"). I do not like them.

The spreadsheet is Luna Banana's doing! And McKenna too. Yes, it is awesome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok :) I'll be quiet. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2700 yards today. For some reason my updates to the spreadsheet have not been saved.

2500 yesterday
2700 today
Quote Reply

Prev Next