Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Issues w/ saving on garmin watch
Quote | Reply
Is anyone else seeing issues w/ garmin devices saving workouts? Not the upload process to garmin connect, but just saving on your watch. The last 2 days when I've tried to save a workout, the spinner on the watch display just keeps going forever. After an hour I shut the watch off, but when I l turned it back on and looked in history the activity isn't present

I have the forerunner 935.

Seems a little suspicious that this starts shortly after all the issues garmin is having, but can't be 100% sure.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Quote Reply
Re: Issues w/ saving on garmin watch [adaykin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've never removed any activity data from your watch then the problem might well be that there are too many stored and not enough room for more. When watches sync with Garmin Connect, older activities are removed to make way for newer ones. Obviously that is not happening at the moment. A simple fix might be to simply connect the watch to a computer and archive the contents of the Activity folder somewhere. Keep the most recent ones and remove the older ones. Make sure that you delete the ones on the watch after you have stored and removed them.

Note that if you have a Mac you might need to download and install Android File Transfer to access the activities stored on your watch.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I had this this morning. Good to know not only one. Have had no issues until to today, 7/27.
Showed the run as doing it but then said problem saving it. Now gone. I ended up adding manually.

I had cleared all activities prior to outage so it was not due to lack of storage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep -- this AM.

Ended up resetting the watch.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem this morning.
I tried resetting my watch (935). This did not help.
I then connected it to my PC and deleted some old activities and it is now working again. Although I have Garmin set to delete activities after they are uploaded there were 50+ activity files on the watch.
DC Rainmaker has instructions on how to manually upload activities. You can use the same process to delete old activities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Managed to record a couple of runs during the outage, then on Sunday's run had the same problem with my Fenix 6 - wouldn't record, wouldn't save.

Copied then deleted all my existing activities. Was able to save today's run no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this issue for the first time today with my Fenix 5s. Tried saving and it ended up in an endless spinning Saving loop. I eventually switched the watch off. When I turned it on again I plugged it into my laptop to manually upload the file to Training Peaks, as I’ve been doing since the outage, and the activity file was showing in the folder but when I tried uploading it TP an error came up saying there was nothing to load.

I suspect it had something to do with the barely functioning Garmin Connect and am wondering if the watch was getting stuck trying to automatically sync with GC. I ended up turning the phone off, to take GC out of the equation and was then tried recording another activity, and that saved fine.

So, if you have GC within sync range, try removing it, until it’s functioning properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar issues here. Ran yesterday morning and my 935 showed the correct pace, but didn't register any distance. Then when I tried to save it just spun on the saving screen. Today I tried to use it during weight training and it wouldn't let me start and end sets (single press of the back button.) The back button still works though because if I hold it it will bring up the stopwatch and I can still use it to navigate the menus. Watch gets stuck when trying to save or even when trying to discard the workout though. (Sort of) glad to hear I'm not the only one having issues...

For anyone who doesn't know already, if your watch gets stuck spinning, hold down the light button for 15 seconds to shut it down.
Quote Reply
Re: Issues w/ saving on garmin watch [rocky_bobloblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got that on my 945 yesterday.

I did the reset I linked to earlier.

My GF's 935 is still going well since the reset on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: Issues w/ saving on garmin watch [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes, you'll have to initially reset it, and then when it comes back deleting files fixed it for me. I went through the history->activities on the watch and deleted from there (you can delete an activity after selecting it), although someone mentioned you could delete them from your computer when the watch is connected there. Which may be easier since you don't have to scroll through as much.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Fenix 6 has been doing the same for the past week. It started before Garmin Connect went down. It had troubles syncing via Bluetooth and the screen kept frozen when I unplugged it after charging. Had to switch it on and off several times before things got back to normal.

My guess is that it had something to do with the firmware update. Maybe some kind of corrupt file messed it up. On reddit some users solved the issue by deleting all activities since most probably one of them was corrupt. Tried that with no success so I ended up resetting to factory settings. Despite doing a backup, I had to go again over every sport settings to configure the screens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen any issue as of today. Biked yesterday and ran this morning, saved without issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was having similar issues as of Monday... ran with my wife and my 935 did not connect to GPS. My wife's Garmin watch was fine... forget what she has but it's one of the music watches.

Then it would not save, the spinning saving circle thing. I had to hard reset the watch... hold the light button until it turned off.

Swimming this morning it wouldn't lap or restart when hitting the button. I could end the workout but still the circle endless save thing.

So I went into the watch and deleted all of the activities and it now connects to GPS with my run, lap button works with swim and saving appears to work. Odd that it went along with the Garmin issues...

Summary deleting ALL of my activities on the watch resolved my issues... I think.

Will be running later today and swim tomorrow morning.
Quote Reply