Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this a real Cervelo P2?
Quote | Reply
It does not look like a P2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/P2-Cervelo-54cm-Time-Trial-TT-Shimano-Dura-Ace-NR_W0QQitemZ7182876612QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a real Cervelo P2? [Cmikul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is a P2.
It's not a P2K, it's the sexier version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it is...beautiful bike. I would buy it for the starting price in a heartbeat.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a real Cervelo P2? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes it is...beautiful bike. I would buy it for the starting price in a heartbeat.
Who wouldn't? No way he sells it for the starting price, though. It's a great bike, and I'm not convinced the P2K was really an "evolutionary improvement" over the P2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes....that is a P2......I had one ....great bike. I liked it more than my P2k.

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is a P2 then you should think about at least one thing before buying. They don't fit in a bike case. The extended seat tube and down tube mean you have to pack the thing in a cardboard box in most cases, if you want to fly. If you never travel to a race via airplane then it's not that big a deal.

I owned one once, but it never was never comfortable and really didn't make me any faster. Personally, I think all the cool, aero-shaped tubes is just spectacular marketing. It doesn't make for a light bike either.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just sold mine a couple months ago. broke my heart, but had to be done as i bought a new tri bike and couldn't hold on to both. man, i loved that bike. i agree that i'm not convinced the p2k was an "evolution". a sideways step maybe, if that.

they were a bit over built, but it was made to be fast, not light. you also have to compare it against bikes of it's time, not the ultralight ones you can get today.

if you have the right size and are set up properly it's an amazing bike, even almost 10 years after it first appeared.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a real Cervelo P2? [ironcouple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]i just sold mine a couple months ago. broke my heart, but had to be done as i bought a new tri bike and couldn't hold on to both. man, i loved that bike. i agree that i'm not convinced the p2k was an "evolution". a sideways step maybe, if that.

they were a bit over built, but it was made to be fast, not light. you also have to compare it against bikes of it's time, not the ultralight ones you can get today.

if you have the right size and are set up properly it's an amazing bike, even almost 10 years after it first appeared.[/reply]

"a bit overbuilt", that's pretty funny. Yes, I guess they were. Awesome bike, but the P2K really had a lot more going for it. It may not have looked as cool, but we could get the same performance (lose a bit on the seattube, gain a bit in the seatpost, etc) and a lower weight and make it a lot more affordable. And a lot more usable with its internal cable system and separate seatpost. Both the P2 and P2K were made in North America, so it was difficult to make the P2 at a reasonable price. And with the P2K we were able to continue production here and offer it for $1000 less. Definitely much better value for money. but of course, the P2 does remain a pretty awesome machine. Definitely my favorite from the early days.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a real Cervelo P2? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I owned one once, but it never was never comfortable and really didn't make me any faster. Personally, I think all the cool, aero-shaped tubes is just spectacular marketing. It doesn't make for a light bike either.

Chad

Damn it Chad. When are you going to stop dissing the bike you sold me. If it was that bad, ebay policy be damned, give me my money back!

Just joshing. I'm very happy with the bike, as I've related to you privately.

Folks, Chad has a 34 inch inseam, I have 32 inch inseam, so the bike ain't gonna fit both of us. Chad was not happy with the fit. I am.

Now folks, and sorry Gerard, while I really like my old P2 (in past two months I've done four 80 plus mile rides on it comfortably), I don't think it makes me significantly faster. Previously, I've ridden two road bikes that I contorted into tri bikes. The set up was poor and the handling was poor. The P2 geometry works wonderfully and the bike handles much better than what I had been riding. But I didn't get faster because of the bike. I tend to believe that frame aerodynamics is a very small portion of riding speed. Having said that, if a Cervelo fits (as mine does) they are super bikes.

Since the truth is in anecdotes, here's one: in the Chattanooga Waterfront olympic distance tri about a month ago, I was passed on by a guy riding a P3C. First, one I had seen. I considered just stopping and paying homage, but instead -- without thinking -- blurted out, "P3 Carbon, Cool." The guy turned and looked at me, and smiled. About 8 miles later, the guy who hammered by me was now being passed by me. I mean, how can that happen? He's riding carbon and I'm on 8 year old aluminum? Without thinking -- you know how in a race your brain doesn't always work 100% -- I blurted out, as I passed him, "aluminum is faster." To his credit, the guy just laughed.

Bottom line: I believe frame is very small part of the equation in terms of aerodynamics. But some of those aerodynamic bikes (like my P2 if I got it painted) sure are pretty. If money is no object, get an aerodynamic bike. If a round tube bike fit me well and was of good construction, I wouldn't pay much more for an aerodynamic bike. So Chad, I guess I agree with you, aero frames are largely a marketing device to get people to pay more.

HH

PS: Just got in town from a business trip. My beautiful wife says, you have three bicycle packages. I say, "Oh, yeah." I'm PM you.
Basically, I'm following your advice. Got to go eat dinner now.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a real Cervelo P2? [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad. When are you going to stop dissing the bike you sold me. If it was that bad, ebay policy be damned, give me my money back!

LOL! I'll take it back if you pay the shipping and send the set of race wheels along with it. :) I would love to do some head to head tests with my Yaqui and see what came of it. There is no way I would ride the P2 on some of the mountains I take the Yaqui, but in a straight line it might not be as bad.

Folks, Chad has a 34 inch inseam, I have 32 inch inseam, so the bike ain't gonna fit both of us. Chad was not happy with the fit. I am.

I have thought about this quite a bit and I think that the bigger problem for me was the really low front end combined with the Visiontech bars that were too long at the stem. Had I gone to a shorter stem with more rise then it might have improved the handling enough to be rideable (maybe; the top tube on that bike was really long). I rode it very well in at least one half-ironman, but I had to use a M2 seat shifter to move the seat far enough forward to be comfortable. Not a recipe for good handling.

Why would you paint that bike? I thought the stealth black with the the best looking bike I have ever owned. Although, I would consider painting over some of the dozen or so white "Cervelo" stickers.

I totally agree with your last paragraph.

Chad

Quote Reply
Re: Is this a real Cervelo P2? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a P2, I have one. It is easily as fast as my new Felt B2 and better than just about any of the other new offerings, including the all carbon, less stiff new bikes.
Quote Reply