Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is there a non launching bottle cage?
Quote | Reply
I know this is an elementary question, but is there a bottle cage that grips bottles behind the seat? I'm getting tired of sending mine into orbit.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a non launching bottle cage? [d.w.weston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been happy with the Specialized Rib cage.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know of a launch proof bottle cage. But... these cheap (and light) cateye cages are the ONLY cage to not launch my bottles. Since switching to them I've NEVER lost a bottle of the back. Cattle grates/speed bumps, you name it.. no problems:

http://www.cateye.com/...tId=8&subCatId=0

I've had many MTB'ers swear by them as well. Screw the expensive carbon, or ultralight metal cages. The plastic won't break like the metal or carbon as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I read somewhere that mounting them behind the seat was less aerodynamic then placing them in the normal position.......anyone else ever read this or am I making it up?

dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheap and nasty Elite cages from Colorado Cyclist (or other llaces), combined with my Minoura behind the seat mount have never launched a bottle, even on the rough Kiwi roads!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elite Ciusi (spelling?)
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a non launching bottle cage? [DanTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan has the correct answer. Behind the seat mounts at the least aero according to Cobb's wind tunnel tests.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a non launching bottle cage? [Russell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you are correct but some bikes have NO bottle mounts, so you need the behind the seat ones. For example: Zipp 2001

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a non launching bottle cage? [DanTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who cares? You racing the World TT champs? That 3 seconds per 40k going to make a difference?

If we took all the time we wasted on worrying about our bike aerodynamics and spent it training, we'd go a helluva lot faster. Just f'n ride.

Sorry, had to rant.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a non launching bottle cage? [Greg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried a bunch of different bottles but found the Profile Kage to be the best at holding onto bottles on the back.

http://www.profile-design.com/...ages/hydro_kage.html

You can get a carbon version (33g - $40) or stick with the regular one (52g - $8)
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a non launching bottle cage? [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep- the Profile ones work like a charm. I've never lost a bottle with them and they are cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a non launching bottle cage? [ImTribble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the record, I lose bottles all the time on my seat-mounted Profile Kages. I do ride a Softride though, so the beam might cause more violent "throwing action" than on a rigid bike.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the years I have tried just about every cage previously mentioned here including the profile and specialized rib cage, carbon (zipp & arundel) and generic aluminum and, without fail, they all launched bottles off the back of my Giant MCR/Xlab Flatwing. Some easier than others but the end result was the same. Granted the bike design (no top tube or seat stays) has a lot to do with it.

The only cage that seems to work pretty good for me is the American Classic Ti. It has a rubber piece along the top that seems to do the job. Now, only a severe jolt will launch a bottle and even then it is rare.

"It is never too late to fix your childhood!" Tom Robbins

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have cheap minoura cages on a flatwing. Never launched a bottle in 4 countries.

Maybe I am just lucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never launched a bottle in 3 years with my Flat Wing / cheapie Alum cages. The trick is the bend the cages ever so slight inward. I swapped out for Zipps, Specialized, Trek plastics...but each of those lauched and went back to aluminums....

But, I switch bikes now and went back to frame mounts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know this is an elementary question, but is there a bottle cage that grips bottles behind the seat? I'm getting tired of sending mine into orbit.
if you keep having the problem with different types of cages, then try changing the mount (eg flatwing) or the saddle - sometimes the angle of the seat rails together with the angle of the mount results in the bottle sitting at an angle which throws out the bottle regardless of what cage you are using
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Minoura frame with Zefal S cages which have never launched a bottle. They are cheap 6-7 bucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never launched, even when the bike is bouncing around in the back of my truck. I use a minoura with those really cheap generic aluminum cages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had a problem with frame mounted cages and bottles. I know there is an issue now with some of the more exotic/newer bike frames NOT having one or even two frame mount cage options. I suggest that you take these issues up with those manufacturers and or avoid these frames if you need to carry two bottles.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use specialized '03 rib cages. I also wrap a rubber band around the bottom of the bottle. That give me just a little bit more insurance for those really nasty hits and doesn't cause any additional issues removing the bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought Arundel cages a year ago. They are FANTASTIC. You could do a bmx course with these babys. They're carbon fiber, so they're not cheap. But I love them.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a non launching bottle cage? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]For the record, I lose bottles all the time on my seat-mounted Profile Kages. I do ride a Softride though, so the beam might cause more violent "throwing action" than on a rigid bike.[/reply]

I used to launch them on my Softride, until I stopped unweighting the beam over bumps. When I just let all of my weight continue to rest on the saddle over bumps the bottles would no longer fly out - and it wasn't till then that I realized I was still reacting to bumps like I was with a traditional bike, lifting up off of the saddle. Not necessary with a Softride.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a non launching bottle cage? [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Schwingding,

I just bought a Softride TT7 and was wondering what kind of waterbottle holder you use off the back of your bike. Thanks for the help.....

Craig in Alabama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never launched a bottle with the Profile Kages. For an extra measure of precaution I take a heavy duty rubber band, double it up, and put it where the gasket is that provides tension. This increases the tension on the water bottle, but I can still remove/replace without fumbling around.

I use the SPT mount.

scott
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a non launching bottle cage? [craigtris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Hey Schwingding,

I just bought a Softride TT7 and was wondering what kind of waterbottle holder you use off the back of your bike. Thanks for the help..... [/reply]

I used (don't have the bike any longer) the XLAB flatwing off the saddle cage system. Worked fine.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply

Prev Next