Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is it time for a change?
Quote | Reply
With all the negativity going on about "damn BOP'rs" and such, would it be a better process to have time est. starts, kinda like corral starts in running events?

For example... a HIM sub 5 hr waves, sub 6 hr waves, then break the rest out by age?

Just a thought....

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time for a change? [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do a nordic ski race every year that has self-seeding. There are about 2,000 competitors and it's a mass start, but they have big signs saying "sub 2:30," "sub 3 hours," etc. for people to line up behind. It seems to work very well...maybe something like this could work in triathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: Is it time for a change? [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matti,
That stuff does not really work. Line up in a running race in your pace group (ie 6:30 min mile) and see how many folks you are about to fall over who are barely running 10 minute miles.

H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not only does it not work for running races due to people self-seeding totally wrong, but it gets worse in a tri. I'm a BOP swimmer, but a FMOP biker and MOP runner... how do i seed myself for all that just based on where i line up to swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it time for a change?

It's certainly time to put some good forward thinking ideas on the table. My sense is that many of the bigger events - the 1/2 IM and full IM events have grown to the point that it needs to be looked at. If the quality and fairness of the race is starting to be comprimised, for some/many, and I do think that is the case in a few events, then maybe some changes do need to be made.

I think that people are already starting to make those changes in terms of the decesions they make for themselves. For example, I would never go and race at IMFL. The flatness of the course and the drafting, in advertant as it is, is not for me. I would choose to go to another IM race where it is less of an issue - IMWI or IMC.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply