Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is beef jerky a healthy snack?
Quote | Reply
Ok. I go down the 'crap' food isle in the grocery store last night. The isle with all the candy and prepackaged junk food, etc. I look up at this huge display of assorted beef jerky and start reading the nutritional content.

I'm completely caught off-guard by the content.

Zero saturated fat; Almost no total fat; pretty low in calories; low in carbs; super high in sodium; and protein is super high at 28 grams.

This looks like a pretty decent snack for a habitual-snacking athlete trying to cut back on fat intake. I can actually use the high protein and sodium in my diet based on my endurance workouts.

What am I missing here? Is this stuff bad for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Is beef jerky a healthy snack? [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just say no man...look at that stuff...I like a good burger and all, but that stuff looks like a dried out dead rodent.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used it in pretty much the same situation (habitual snacker who is on a high sodium diet) when they discontinued my favorite met-rx bars. I think that if you're not worried about the sodium then ratio of protein:fat is way better than most foods. Look at the ingredients when choosing which brand you would potentially eat, some of the ingredients scared me so i stayed away from those brands (oberto sticks out as one that i wouldn't eat, but don't remember why), but i remember eating pemmican (sp?).

and some beef jerkey is made with OJ.....that always seemed interesting to me
Quote Reply
Make your own! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, I've been a jerky-head for going on 3 years now. Get a cheap dehydrator, Hi-Mountain brand dry seasoning, hit the butcher shop and you're ready to go.

Jerky is my steady protein source snack during each and every day. As long as you don't have high sodium issues already, I haven't had any problem. I've got a snacking problem, and I've found that jerky and fruit are the best things for me. I've gotta have the protein in jerky to stay sated between meals, simply fruit isn't enough to make the belly feel full and satisfied.

I ultimately went the home-made route for $ and control of what goes in the mix. I use flank steak or london broil cuts, whatever is on sale and find that works the best.

I'm a fan. It's lean protein and salt. That's all.

T

"The mind can calculate, but the spirit yearns, and the heart knows what the heart knows."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from the sodium issues that you have identified, I would have a look to see what additives, flavourings and colourings are in the product before deciding.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer Beef Smoothies. Also, I have a Bass-o-matic that gets regular use. ;-P

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Make your own! [SouthernTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you use a dehydrator to make the jerky?

I am in love with my smoker. I’ve done everything: pulled pork, ribs, turkey breast, whole chickens and turkey legs. My idea of a good Saturday is getting up at 7am, loading a few racks of ribs into the smoker, eat something, head out for a 3-4hr ride, come home, shower and enjoy some real BBQ ribs with a few beers.

Here is my question: could I make jerky if I kept the temp in the smoker real low (150-200)? Don’t you have to worry if the temp of the meat never gets above 180? Salmonela (sp?) is not what I would think would be fun. Also, do you think it would be possible to make gator jerky…it’s a Clermont, FL thing.

Dre

-Dre
RD at Clash Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Make your own! [dre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is possible to make jerky in a smoker, no worries on the salmonella because it is cured in brine first. If my dad wasn't out of state right now I'd get you a great recipe. Type "jerky in a smoker" for a search I had lots of hits.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Last edited by: Jim: Mar 16, 05 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Same here, I love my smoker. Don't forget to try smoking Pac. Salmon: first cure filets for a day or so with water, salt, sugar, herbs... then real low/moist heat.. unbelievable.

BUT, I have never managed to make decent jerky... too hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deer jerkey is very healthy for you also.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jerkey is really easy to make yourself. No more difficult than cooking a steak, it just takes longer since you "cook" it for a long long time at a very low temp to dry it out. You can do it in the oven if you don't have a dehydrater or a smoker. Just buy a pack of seasoning and follow the directions.

The only down side to making it yourself is that once you see how much it costs to make jerkey out of even a cheap flank steak, you'll start to wonder where the "meat" in the ready made stuff comes from . . . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Make your own! [Thierry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before I went ahead and bought a dehydrator, I used to make tones of jerky in the regular 'ol oven.

You set the temp at its very lowest, then crack the oven door open. I hang the meat by toothpics from the oven racks. It usually takes around 12hrs or so..just varys on how thick you cut the strips.

Also, when you make your own jerky, you don't have to go overload on the salt, just use a less salty mix, or very little if you want. Its not really the salt that cures it, but it helps I think. I don't know...my jerky is always eaten up WAY before I've had a chance to see how long it will keep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a hardcore beef jerkey fan since grade school and still am. Trust what you know, its lean protein and salt. Preserves are there though if you don't make it yourself.

I used to commute a lot for work, 2 hrs in the truck oneway. The ONLY thing healthful you can bet will be at the convienence store/gas station is the wonderful beef jerkey.

P.S. Of course I'm not talking about the SlimJim, etc, thats greasy sausagized crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m also a fan of the ‘jerky’ as a snack (especially on the road). However, I don’t think I would go as far as to consider it ‘healthy’. To my knowledge, no cut of meat is ever designated as ‘jerky’… rather, jerky is made up of ‘left overs’. That isn’t to imply that stuff is taken off the floor or anything like that. Pieces of meat that are too small to offer as a cut or do anything with, get turned into jerky. Suffice to say, these are not usually the leanest meats. Now, if you have a smoker and can make your own stuff… that’s some good (and much more ‘healthy’) stuff!!

JB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Here is my question: could I make jerky if I kept the temp in the smoker real low (150-200)? Don’t you have to worry if the temp of the meat never gets above 180? Salmonela (sp?) is not what I would think would be fun. Also, do you think it would be possible to make gator jerky…it’s a Clermont, FL thing. "

I use my big Oklahoma Joe to make jerky all the time. Have your butcher trim and slice a bunch of London broil when it goes on sale. This way it will all be the same thickness and be done at the same time. Soak it overnight in teriyaki and low sodium soy sauce. The salt will "cook" it most of the way. Spread it out so nothing is touching and add some fresh ground black pepper. Keep the smoker under 200 and add your favorite wood to the coals. I like hickory or apple. Cook 4 to 6 hours depending on the thickness of the meat and heat of your smoker. Give me some gator a and I will test it out for you.

Dave
Quote Reply