Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is all maltodextrin created equal?
Quote | Reply
I seem to recall a thread where people were talking about "slow release" VS "fast release" maltodextrin, however I can't quite fathom how the same compound could have varied properties like that - unless of course "maltodextrin" is a term for a family of similar sugars - in which case how do I know what I'm buying?

The easiest source seems to be beer making supply companies, but they just sell "maltodextrin" and can't tell me much about it.

A quick Google search turned up this (http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/carbohydrates1.html) but it wasn't terribly helpfull... Anyone out there care to explain this to me?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Is all maltodextrin created equal? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maltodextrins are defined by the FDA as products having a DE less than 20 so there is quite a range of products that can be called maltodextrin

Maltodextrin is a mixture of glucose, maltose, and polysaccharides produced by partial hydrolysis of starch. Maltodextrin products are assigned a value describing the Dextrose Equivalent. Products with DE-values from 6 to 19 are called Maltodextrins, those with DE-values from 20 to 91 are generally deemed Syrups (the most common is 'corn-syrup'). Products with DE-values of 92 to 99 are called 'Total Sugar'. A value of DE-100 is equal to pure Glucose (Dextrose)

Quote Reply
Re: Is all maltodextrin created equal? [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn - that complicates things, now doesn't it?

Thanks for the info. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maltodextrin is also produced with different characteristics of mixing in water, or other solvent. Some iterations are more easily dissolved in water than others. It makes a difference to people that manufacture foodstuffs. If you go out and buy raw maltodextrin to put into your water bottles, you'll want to get the kind that mixes fast with water. If you are going to make cookies, you might want a different form of it. The company that manufactures it can steer you towards the form that works best for your intented use.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai,

Carbopro has a DE of 16

hope that helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply