Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is a mid June 50k,mid july 209 mile bike and a mid Aug Im reasonable
Quote | Reply
I am signed up for STP(Seattle to Portland,209 miles)in one day on July 9. My "A" race is Vineman full Aug 13. I am interested in trying a 50k trail run(could do a 30k) on June 13. Is this a mistake............................
Last edited by: Kenney: Jan 19, 05 5:40
Quote Reply
Re: Is a mid June 50k,mid july 209 mile bike and a mid Aug Im reasonable [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose it depends on your definition of reasonable. The STP is flat and there are usually prevailing winds to the south, so you can cruise that. 50km on the trails is a HELL of a lot easier than on the road (last month I did a marathon and then a 50k trail run 3 weeks later, the marathon was much harder on my body). Then you'll be set for Vineman! Viva endurance!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a mid June 50k,mid july 209 mile bike and a mid Aug Im reasonable [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes. But I might not be the person to ask. You have to ask yourself, evaluate where you are at (and if you have a coach ask him/her too) then decide ---ultimately YOU know your body best, but your coach knows your performances.

June 13 50k July 9 209 bike Aug 13 A race Iron (had to write it out for me to see) So basically volume 1x/month leading up to A. I like it, but other factors come into play.

Realistically, the 50 k is PLENTY of distance out from your A race (are you racing it or just doing it?..answer that question first). Trail races (bc most 50ks are) I hardly ever do that close to my A race. Simple fact, you fall, twist an ankle and your A race is out for the season. Is it good for training? Well, have you done one? If this is a new distance it could really hurt and you are setting yourself up for injury. If you are racing it, you could really get hurt, if you are doing it for fun, go for it (it is 8 weeks out from Vineman).

The bike I really like before Vineman. I dig the double centuries, if I have a choice of a century or double, double wins hands down. If this is your first time at that distance, be careful, you CAN get injured in a double too...ie NO HAMMERING that close to Vineman. If you haven't gone that long before, something scary happens around mile 175, you don't know it then, but you will the next day. Take recovering seriously. (legs up with ice, plenty of water, good food)

Ideally the bike would be your last volume bike (at least it would be for me). Yet the 50k wouldn't be your last volume run (at least it wouldn't be for me). If you hate running, it will make for a miserable summer.

Something else to consider..the time of year. A 50k in the middle of June is UGLY, no matter where you go. You will be covered in muck, dust, and if you have the slight little bit of allergies to dust you could potentially be screwed for a few weeks. I almost forgot...you will sweat..and sweat hardcore so electrolyte imbalances you have to plan for so that the final 8 weeks before Vineman doesn't go to waste. Not to mention getting ready for the big bike ride 4 weeks later.

I am all about volume, and dig the ultra races, but be realistic to yourself. Don't set yourself up for injury or for other elements that could ruin your A race of the season. I think the only word of caution I can give you--if you haven't done this kind of bulk training this tightly before, your mood for Vineman might get quite ugly. I say this because I speak from experience. Finishing an Iron when you are pissy is no way to finish an iron. My last iron I did was done in a foul mood from racing too tightly together..something sounded like fun I did it. As my coach said, I raced myself into shape, but I also blew out my mind. That being said, if you do the three and you like it, and you feel fabolous after Vineman, consider the double iron in Virginia in October....your training would already be there (you wouldn't be doing the double as a RACE, you would be doing it to finish), you would just need to recover in August, do some prepwork in September, contact me and I can give you specifics for October, then see you in Lake Anna in October :-) --- not kidding.

Yep, sure that helped. Ok, I have done my damage here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's nothing reasonable about a 50k run. I don't care who you are, it's absolutely fucking nuts. Having said that, most of us ARE nuts - so have at it! ;)

The STP looks to be a blast - I think about it every year.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did you edit your original post?

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am signed up for STP(Seattle to Portland,209 miles)in one day on July 9. My "A" race is Vineman full Aug 13. I am interested in trying a 50k trail run(could do a 30k) on June 13. Is this a mistake............................
My .02 without any background info - Depends on what you really want to do in your A race. I can't imagine that a 50K run and 209 mile ride would optimize your speed/endurance even for a full. Maybe opt for the 30K run instead - easier recovery and less risk of injury.
Quote Reply