Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is a Dash Saddle Right for Me?
Quote | Reply
Right now I'm on an ISM PS 1.0 because I like my balls not touching the saddle. It accomplishes that, but after long rides (3+ hours), I find the inside of my legs right next to my taint hurting and becoming tender. My area went numb once that I'm aware of, but am unsure if this is an ongoing issue or was a special occasion. I use body glide/dz nuts during rides, naturally, but I wonder if I should not be experiencing this at all.

Looking at different saddles, I see a lot of positive views about Dash. What are people's experiences with them long term? Which one would you recommend based on what I'm experiencing, or any other saddle from ISM or Cobb?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Last edited by: palmtrees: Aug 21, 19 6:01
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Dash Saddle Right for Me? [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve found that clients who like the 1.0 or 1.1 really like the PN 3.0... have you tried that one?

Canā€™t speak to the Dash, as I havenā€™t tried it, but personally it looks like it would work for me.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Dash Saddle Right for Me? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not tried it. Is it the same shortness of a 1.0 but more narrow that would accommodate my issue?

Which Dash are you referring to? It looks like it would be between a Stage or a Tri

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the ISM and also had the same inside of leg rubbing. I kind of accepted it as ā€˜part of the dealā€™, it was manageable.

Things came to a head when I did a 12 hour time trial, the extra 6-7 hours turned this area of rubbing into chronic, weeping sores that took ages to heal.

The Adams went and I researched other saddles, eventually opting to gamble with a Dash 9.

Different gravy from day 1, I donā€™t get that rubbing and now have virtually nothing to manage with normal IM training rides, and have done two more 12 hour TTs with far more comfort and a fraction of the soreness post ride.

Stupidly expensive but, for me, one of the best purchases Iā€™ve made.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Dash Saddle Right for Me? [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What made you choose a 9 (stage) over the Tri, the UCI legality?

If I go with it, it'll be a huge investment as well. That's why I'm trying to get some wisdom about it before I pop on it

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UCI wasnā€™t a factor. I wasnā€™t bothered by the few g weight saving either.

I think a stage 9 was in stock (standard colours etc) with the UK distributor and thus a bit cheaper and available earlier. I also had a concern that the 7 being so short there would not be much ā€˜overhangā€™ after the back of my aero seatpost to fit rear bottle holder. Not sure if this would have happened but I didnā€™t want the risk. It was enough of a gamble buying a very expensive saddle that I couldnā€™t try.

Since Iā€™ve had it Iā€™ve found the longer ā€˜insideā€™ of the stage 9 a mighty fine place to bundle up and store an inner tube, levers, CO2 cartridge etc, so the length has come in handy.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Dash Saddle Right for Me? [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
I had the ISM and also had the same inside of leg rubbing. I kind of accepted it as ā€˜part of the dealā€™, it was manageable.

Things came to a head when I did a 12 hour time trial, the extra 6-7 hours turned this area of rubbing into chronic, weeping sores that took ages to heal.

The Adams went and I researched other saddles, eventually opting to gamble with a Dash 9.

Different gravy from day 1, I donā€™t get that rubbing and now have virtually nothing to manage with normal IM training rides, and have done two more 12 hour TTs with far more comfort and a fraction of the soreness post ride.

Stupidly expensive but, for me, one of the best purchases Iā€™ve made.
Very similar experience for me, minus the 12 hour time trials.

I rode a PN 2.1 for a few years and was never actually all that happy with it, mostly because of the thigh rub. Eventually swung by my local fitter and got to try out a bunch of other ones including a few dash saddles. I almost went with the Specialized Power but I would have needed slightly too much tilt and I felt like I was sliding forward. Settled on a Dash Strike and it's honestly incredible. Interestingly I actually find it comfortable in a few positions, including right on the nose or scooted back further.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Dash Saddle Right for Me? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which dash do you use and did you do narrow or regular?
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Dash Saddle Right for Me? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Stock Strike, and I believe its the normal width version. I'm sure the narrow would work as well but not necessary for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have dash saddles on my tri bike and road bike. They are, by far, without a doubt, my absolute favorite components on each. I use the stage stock on the tri and strike stock on the road. Dash has a testing program so you can determine which width works for you. Money well spent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I *just* got mine from a fellow ST-ian and it's the tri 7. Installed Monday night and Tuesday morning had a rough 5x8 min train @ 110 FTP.

EDIT: "rough" being the amount of work it took, which would've been the exact same thing had I kept the Sitero II

Now, I'm coming from a Sitero II which I already like a lot, but I would still get the occasional chaffing on the inside of my thighs (and lastly, more at the back, near my buttocks, sorry TMI but it helps to make a point) so changing to something that fits inside the palm of my hand felt... counter naturally, to say the least.

Then again, I've tried them all. Fizik mistika, the Spesh Power, Spesh Arc, ISM PS 1.1, and I gotta say yesterday went... really good.

Couple of thoughts: I've read you have to give it a good 2~3 months to fully adjust. I only rode 90 minutes in it but I can totally tell you it might come down to a few mm in difference between heaven and hell. Also worth mentioning, I ordered the Strike too. The Tri 7 is only confortable when in the aero bars. Since on the trainer I would usually stay in both positions, I can confirm whenever I got out of the aero position, I could feel the saddle way more than when I was in the aero position. So make sure you order accordingly.

I will subscribe to this thread and provide more feedback in the coming sessions, but in the meantime, I would pull the trigger.
Last edited by: teixido: Aug 21, 19 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Dash Saddle Right for Me? [teixido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say you feel the saddle more when not in aero for the tri, is it an uncomfortable feeling? I'm imagining when I'm deep in a hilly IM and having to come in/out of aero how it would feel.

What made you order the strike? It seems like everyone has recommended a different saddle except for the TT version. I'm not sure which one I should exactly go with

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
When you say you feel the saddle more when not in aero for the tri, is it an uncomfortable feeling? I'm imagining when I'm deep in a hilly IM and having to come in/out of aero how it would feel.

What made you order the strike? It seems like everyone has recommended a different saddle except for the TT version. I'm not sure which one I should exactly go with

I would feel the pressure, as opposed to when I was on the aero bars, the saddle basically disappears, sort to speak. I'm still playing with the tilt. I had it at -4 degree, just because that was what I was using on the Sitero II, but I don't think it needs quite that much. I'm going to try -2 tonight and report tomorrow.

As for what made me order the Strike, I actually got the tri 7 for my race bike and the Strike for my indoor and possibly road bike later down the road. My reasoning being the race bike would be raced at a "comfortably" @ 80%~90% FTP, and I can totally manage to stay in the aero bars the whole time (I don't have hilly courses around here) and the Strike would be use on the indoor because it's kinda hybrid: it allows you to sit on the nose, and sit back if you need to, and I definitively need to in sessions like yesterday's, but that's only/probably because I suck and need to come out of the aero when my HR gets to 170.
Last edited by: teixido: Aug 21, 19 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take a look at this video, which is what I reviewed prior to making my decision: 17:45The best saddles on the market - Dash models explained
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting video. From what I can take from it, the strike is pretty much a road saddle, the stages is the triathlon/TT saddle, and the TT/tri saddle is a more aggressive version of the stages. Would you say that is a fair way to put it?

If that's true, then I think for the sake that all my courses are hilly, I would lean more towards the strike for the ability to come up during the climbs and it's overall versatility. Am I correct here?

Gone with the wind

Last edited by: palmtrees: Aug 21, 19 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
Interesting video. From what I can take from it, the strike is pretty much a road saddle, the stages is the triathlon/TT saddle, and the TT/tri saddle is a more aggressive version of the stages. Would you say that is a fair way to put it?

If that's true, then I think for the sake that all my courses are hilly, I would lean more towards the strike for the ability to come up during the climbs and it's overall versatility. Am I correct here?

I'd say there's an easier way to see it. You can get a Dash focused on TT/TRI or get a Dash focused on road/TT. The confusing bit is whether you need to be UCI compliant or not. That's the only reason you get to see more than one even though they are basically the same saddle with the added part on the back to account For UCI rules.

So in a nutshell: if you're planning to use it on your TT/Triathlon get either the tri, stage or the tt depending on whether you need to comply with UCI. I didn't since I don't do UCI races, hence I chose the tri. But in reality, any of the other two would've feel the exact same because they are basically the same design, only extended for UCI rules.

Now, if you're looking for a hybrid solution, that will allow you to sit upright, but at the same time, get aero, get the Strike. It looks and feels more like a Specialized Power Arc, per se. I would have to say, either of the tri/tt/stage will feel more comfortable in the aero, for longer periods.

See? I know it's hard, that's why I had to get both. I use one on my race bike to race or ride outdoors, and the other one for the indoor, when my aero is limited by my fragile mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride an ISM PN something and I tried a dash stock stage. I loved it. I ended up selling because the torque limit for the carbon rails (I think it was 6 Nm) wasnā€™t enough to keep my saddle from tilting down over bumps. It was really comfy tho. Good thing is the resale value is good so if you donā€™t like it you wonā€™t lose very much money. Give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shall be following this thread as i'm in the same boat. Like the ISM TT...but don't love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teixido wrote:
I'd say there's an easier way to see it. You can get a Dash focused on TT/TRI or get a Dash focused on road/TT. The confusing bit is whether you need to be UCI compliant or not. That's the only reason you get to see more than one even though they are basically the same saddle with the added part on the back to account For UCI rules.

So in a nutshell: if you're planning to use it on your TT/Triathlon get either the tri, stage or the tt depending on whether you need to comply with UCI. I didn't since I don't do UCI races, hence I chose the tri. But in reality, any of the other two would've feel the exact same because they are basically the same design, only extended for UCI rules.

Now, if you're looking for a hybrid solution, that will allow you to sit upright, but at the same time, get aero, get the Strike. It looks and feels more like a Specialized Power Arc, per se. I would have to say, either of the tri/tt/stage will feel more comfortable in the aero, for longer periods.

See? I know it's hard, that's why I had to get both. I use one on my race bike to race or ride outdoors, and the other one for the indoor, when my aero is limited by my fragile mind.

THIS was the post I was hoping to find, thank you so much man! These saddles are quite confusing, and since they're so expensive comparatively, I wanted to make sure I'm getting the right one and don't regret it.

Even when I'm on a hilly course, over the distance of 112 miles, I'm in the aero position FAR more than I am sitting upright. Knowing that those 3 are exactly the same fundamental shape with UCI compliance added into them (which I don't care about), then the Tri would be the saddle for me it seems. I don't sit upright enough to warrant the need for the Strike.

Is your Tri a standard or narrow width? I would be leaning more towards narrow due to the problems I was having mentioned in the OP

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most welcome, man.

Mine is a standard. I was a bit concerned too because after measuring it against the Sitero II I'm trying to replace given my love/hate relationship with it, it turns out it was actually wider by 5mm, if I remember correctly, but I couldn't tell at all.

FWIW, I'm 6'0 tall and 178 lbs. 40yrs. with crappy flexibility.

I'm not in the states, hence I couldn't take advantage of their trial program, but you can totally do it and then get the one your butt likes the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start with a dash strike. Stock version. Very affordable. I use in on the indoor trainer all the time. On the racing bike I use a stock stage. Have been doing so for over 6 years now. Tried other saddles just for fun because they were sent to me but no saddle comes close to dash. Only issue is that they are hard to get in Europe.
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When comparing to my ISM 1.0:

Dash Tri: 190mm Long x 115mm Wide x 60/50mm Nose

ISM PS 1.0: 250mm long x 130mm Wide (no nose width provided by ISM, but dash says it's adamo shape is 68mm)

The standard dash tri is already much narrower than my ISM. I'm 5'6", ~155lbs, 21 with above average flexibility. I don't think I need go narrower than what I already would be by switching saddles, since I'm not that small

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I popped on a stock stage for now. Going to start putting miles on it after my IM and see what's good. If I fall in love with it, I may look into getting the Tri version. Looking forward to it!

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet! I bet you'll like it a lot. Plus its just a really cool piece of kit on any bike. One of those things that when you see on a bike you know someone actually knows and cares about their gear, as opposed to just buying the most expensive thing they can.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m struggling to figure out the placement of mine. I donā€™t know ā€œwhereā€ on the saddle I should be sitting, so I donā€™t know how much setback I should have
Quote Reply

Prev Next