Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks?
Quote | Reply
Seeing on the FB page that a number of Legacy 2022 athletes got Letters today saying Kona 2020 is an option for them? No validation races?....who wants to do a validation race in September?

So is this a way to fill the field because there are not enough races to offer normal number of slots that would otherwise fill the field?
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you are telling me there’s a chance?
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I am doubtful, some people are asking about refunds if 2020 is a no go or even deferments/transfers .... who knows
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just received my 2020 Vega Ironman slot as a Legacy Program athlete!!
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has some interesting AG scenarios https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...-world-championship/ [/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That article basically says nothing. The speculation really isn't even that good. Good chance it is simply too early and too evolving to make a reasonable forecast at this time.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I just received my confirmation email, no mentioning about the qualification race. I sent an email asking about this and possible Kona cancellation scenarios:

LEGACY ATHLETE
  • As a Legacy athlete, if you accept this slot you will participate in the Kukui division at the 2020 Vega IRONMAN World Championship.
  • If you plan to compete as a professional during 2020, or at the 2020 Vega IRONMAN World Championship, you must re-qualify as a professional.
  • This invitation is valid for 2020 only and may NOT be deferred to another year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
This has some interesting AG scenarios https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...-world-championship/ [/url]

It talks about qualifying in August

Has IM been cancelling races through the end middle of August?

And am I off in the math?

Says 800 have qualified which leaves 1200 open spots. Is it more like 1600 open slots or are they filled by legacy or something
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone heard any talk of retroactively adding slots to 2020 qualifying races that have already happened? In Galveston last year they did an email rolldown because they couldn't hold it in person after some nasty storms rolled in. I'm wondering if they could do the same type of email rolldown for additional Kona slots for these races. As someone who missed out on a slot by 2 spots at IMCHOO last year I would say I'm in favor of this scenario :)
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
scca_ita wrote:

Says 800 have qualified which leaves 1200 open spots. Is it more like 1600 open slots or are they filled by legacy or something

Copenhagen is canceled. Was to be held August 16. I'm sure it won't be the last.
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gd28 wrote:
Has anyone heard any talk of retroactively adding slots to 2020 qualifying races that have already happened? In Galveston last year they did an email rolldown because they couldn't hold it in person after some nasty storms rolled in. I'm wondering if they could do the same type of email rolldown for additional Kona slots for these races. As someone who missed out on a slot by 2 spots at IMCHOO last year I would say I'm in favor of this scenario :)

Missed it by 1 last year! We should get an invite for just finishing that death march
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
scca_ita wrote:

Russell Cox has a good table of the IM races up to date as of yesterday: https://www.coachcox.co.uk/...onship-and-covid-19/

As the poster above mentioned, Copenhagen (Aug 16) has been postponed. The next IM that is officially postponed is Frankfurt (June 28). Everything after that besides Copenhagen is still officially going ahead as planned. Though, I'm sure more of those will fall in time as IM is probably waiting for certain triggers to cancel (local mandates etc).
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmar77 wrote:
Yes, I just received my confirmation email, no mentioning about the qualification race. I sent an email asking about this and possible Kona cancellation scenarios:

LEGACY ATHLETE
  • As a Legacy athlete, if you accept this slot you will participate in the Kukui division at the 2020 Vega IRONMAN World Championship.
  • If you plan to compete as a professional during 2020, or at the 2020 Vega IRONMAN World Championship, you must re-qualify as a professional.
  • This invitation is valid for 2020 only and may NOT be deferred to another year.

I think we (or I) sometimes forget that Kona is also an event and needs to be profitable, right now and likely going into the race the only group that is (largely) eligible are the legacy cohort.

I understand there will be different viewpoints on this but it is what it is. If I was a US citizen, and likely OK for domestic travel at that time then I would go for it!

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Press from WTC this morning.....All Legacy athletes on wait list get an invite to Kona 2020... cool!

TAMPA, Fla. (April 9, 2020) – IRONMAN today announced adjustments to the slot allocations for the 2020 Vega IRONMAN® World Championship based on qualifying events that have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The IRONMAN World Championship qualifying window for the 2020 Vega IRONMAN World Championship has been officially extended from August 23, 2020 to August 30, 2020.

With this change, the 2020 editions of IRONMAN Canada – Penticton (August 30), IRONMAN Kazakhstan (August 23) and IRONMAN Vichy (August 23), will now offer 60 qualification slots each to the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship in addition to the qualification slots they offer for the 2021 IRONMAN World Championship.

IRONMAN races that have been postponed from an earlier date in the 2020 season and are rescheduled to take place on or before August 30, 2020 will remain in the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship qualifying season. Events that have been postponed to take place after August 30, 2020 will move to the 2021 IRONMAN World Championship qualifying season.

Additionally, the Legacy Program has been allocated additional slots for 2020, providing every eligible waitlisted Legacy athlete the ability to race in the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship.

The 2020 Vega IRONMAN World Championship is scheduled to take place in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i on Saturday, October 10, 2020.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition, there will be no Legacy spots (not sure how they can prevent this) from the 2021 race. Legacy slots will resume on 2022.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I am kicking myself for deciding against doing my last 3 races in the past couple years. But it is what it is, good for the legacy program as that will allow a clearer backlog for races down the road.

I wonder if more IMs get cancelled through to July whether they may add slots to any races that may happen in August.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bigger question is what will happen to all of these Legacy atheltes who accept 2020 and than Kona gets cancelled too.

Highly unlikly endurance sports will get a green light in 2020 in general; personal opinion. And without a vacination, does anyone want to be in crammed into a starting corral of any race?
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am already imaging a rolling start where one person goes off every 5 seconds. First one off at 6:30, last one off at like 9... would be nice if social distancing applied to transition racks!

I get your speculation, I choose not to beyond June, if things get cancelled they get cancelled. Not worth the energy trying to speculate the scenarios of a cancelled Kona just yet, but it is much easier for me given I am not going to Kona this year.

What I worry about more than a 1500-2000 person triathlon is the NYC marathon I am registered for. Still not going to worry about it just yet but I do feel that without a vaccine, that is a huge concern regarding crowds at the start corral.

ETA: Just took a curious look at NYRR and apparently the Brooklyn half on May 16 hasn't yet been postponed/cancelled? Talk about delusions in race management, this one might take the cake for WTC

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Last edited by: hadukla: Apr 9, 20 11:26
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it is due to our prime minister has prolonged a ban for gatherings untill the end of august...

USCoregonian wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
scca_ita wrote:

Copenhagen is canceled. Was to be held August 16. I'm sure it won't be the last.
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Congratulations to you and others for earning your place. Have a great time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For races like Vichy Are they just adding those slots in as a blanket? So if an age group formerly had 2 slots now it might have 4? Will anyone that gets a slot get to choose if they go to 2020 or 2021? Or will only the slots that would have originally been offered get to choose? Ie only the first 2 get the choice but the next two must go to 2020?

This is all assuming the race even happens. (I do.)

Edit: interesting that Tremblant isn’t on that list with a race date of Aug 23.

2024: IM Hamburg
Last edited by: xcrogers: Apr 9, 20 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
With this change, the 2020 editions of IRONMAN Canada – Penticton (August 30), IRONMAN Kazakhstan (August 23) and IRONMAN Vichy (August 23), will now offer 60 qualification slots each to the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship in addition to the qualification slots they offer for the 2021 IRONMAN World Championship.

Hold up...does that mean if you win your age group at Penticton, that you qualify for 2020 and 2021 Kona? Or that the top 3 in an AG qualify for 2020 and the next 3 qualify for 2021? How does that work?

Hail Purdue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is 'Kukui division' another way of saying 'those who will start behind everyone else and not be counted in the placings'??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
Press from WTC this morning.....All Legacy athletes on wait list get an invite to Kona 2020... cool!

TAMPA, Fla. (April 9, 2020) – IRONMAN today announced adjustments to the slot allocations for the 2020 Vega IRONMAN® World Championship based on qualifying events that have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The IRONMAN World Championship qualifying window for the 2020 Vega IRONMAN World Championship has been officially extended from August 23, 2020 to August 30, 2020.

IRONMAN races that have been postponed from an earlier date in the 2020 season and are rescheduled to take place on or before August 30, 2020 will remain in the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship qualifying season. Events that have been postponed to take place after August 30, 2020 will move to the 2021 IRONMAN World Championship qualifying season.

Additionally, the Legacy Program has been allocated additional slots for 2020, providing every eligible waitlisted Legacy athlete the ability to race in the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship.

The 2020 Vega IRONMAN World Championship is scheduled to take place in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i on Saturday, October 10, 2020.

Am I reading this correctly? Penticton will have 60 slots for 2020 and slots for 2021 assuming of course that it goes off? I am almost tempted to register because I am finally running 80km per week again. If I can run 80km in a week, maybe I can cover 42.2km in a day off the swim+bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Is WTC Filling the 2020 Kona field with more Legacy folks? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
That article basically says nothing. The speculation really isn't even that good. Good chance it is simply too early and too evolving to make a reasonable forecast at this time.

Yes. It is so myopic and stupid to even do anything for 2020. IM organizational management is fucking brain dead.
Quote Reply

Prev Next