Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Triathlon Ruining My Teeth
Quote | Reply
Went to the dentist last week and found out I have a cavity, the first since childhood. Now I'm pretty anal about brushing my teeth, flossing(sort of), and using mouthwash, I brush 2-3 per day, use an electric brush in the morning and at night. Bottom line is I shouldn't be getting cavities, I don't eat sweets at all...except, cases of GU's, gallons of Cytomax, Etran and several other "carbo" type drinks. So is all this high carb intake causing cavities? Do other people find they have had cavities despite good hygene? What about endurance athletes in general, any numbers out there???

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Ruining My Teeth [etocaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry your just getting older!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need to be very careful - eating&sipping sweet and acid(citrus) fluids for hours ruins the teeth.

What I do to avoid these problems:

- Don't use any nutrition for short workouts (less than approx 1.5h - depends on when I had my last meal).

- Normally using plain maltodextrin or sugar with salt on longer workouts. (Avoiding the citric acid)

- Drink every 15-20 minutes, not every 5.

- Use sugarfree chewgum (recommended by my dentist) during long workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Ruining My Teeth [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had heard something about heavy breathing contributing to tarter build up on your bottom front teeth, not sure if that is true either. I will ask my dentist next time.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Ruining My Teeth [ajo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess all those de-fizzed colas during IM don't help either, although I never drink em during training.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, see previous posts.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;mh=25;guest=7685734

----------------------------------------------------------
Someone once accused me of being swimfan. I miss that guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I had heard something about heavy breathing contributing to tarter build up on your bottom front teeth, not sure if that is true either. I will ask my dentist next time.

False.

It has to do with the chemical makeup of your saliva and how quickly you are able to remove the soft sticky plaque in that area before it has a chance to mineralize into tartar or calculus. Spend more time brushing there. Mouth Breathing contributes to inflammation on the top front teeth.

As for sports drinks, yes they can significantly contribute to tooth decay. Constant bathing your teeth in sugar (which sports drinks are) can be an issue. Use a prescription strength fluoride gel at night if you find you are getting cavities frequently.

Feel free to ask not only your dentist next time, but your Registered Dental Hygienist next time!

Trigirlpink knows what she's talking about! My dental hygenist talked to me about my cavities and told me not to drink gatorade (not possible) to avoid more. I ended up getting a prescription toothpaste and it has worked great! No more cavities.

http://www.puremadnesswear.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Ruining My Teeth [G1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks G1, missed that thread!

I like Tom Evan's opening statement..."Hi, I'm also a dentist, and I've done a few Ironman's"

Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Ruining My Teeth [puremadness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrs. PureMaddness that SMOKED the swim at Disney:

I need a white visor for the run at Mooseman.

I am a dentist and have never seen the correlation. I have many friends/athletes as patients (triathletes, cyclists and runners) and have not noticed an increase incidence of cavities. But what everyone is saying is probably correct. High sugar + dry mouth is a great environment for tooth decay. Then again, i see people that drink gallons of soda a day and never develop cavities. Go figure. Usually that stuff just melts away your teeth if you are drinking it all day. I am sure part of it is your genetic make up and suseptibility to cavities. Also, most triathletes are generally pretty healthy people that take care of themselves and that includes taking care of their oral health, so in general their mouths are in good shape. Just make sure you are brushing and flossing adequately post workouts. The rinsing with water during workouts is also a good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Ruining My Teeth [E&EDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Damn it...I knew I should have went on to dental school...

For the Record:

New Study Indicates That Popular Sports Beverages Cause More Irreversible Damage To Teeth Than Soda

http://www.sciencedaily.com/.../03/050323001206.htm

From the title, i thought you meant grinding your teeth because you're pushing too hard on the bike like...whatshisnameprotriathleteguyblargh
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Ruining My Teeth [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a thread on this a month or two ago. Between the sports drinks and sticky foods we eat on long bike rides, it creates a breeding ground for tooth decay. I had a facinating discussion with my denist about it.

I now chew sugar free gum almost non stop on my long bike rides, and brush and floss as soon as I finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Triathlon Ruining My Teeth [Anathema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theres some truth to that, have you ever looked at Tyler Hamilton's teeth? The are like ground down stubs... He should be wearing a nightguard to grind on while cycling!