Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is TT racing dead in the US?
Quote | Reply
I live in the Philly area and was looking for local, or even somewhat local, TT racing. Either it doesn't exist or it's in a parallel universe that I can't see. Is it long gone, COVID related, or am I missing something?

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [bpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s around . The NJ TT cup series (11 races in 2019) took a beating from COVID like everything else but about 1/2 dozen races came off in 2021. It’s mostly a Spring thing.

Some had permitting challenges and one got cancelled for weather but hopefully most of the 2019 races are back on in 2022.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends a lot on where you live. East coast... for the most part yeah. Some omniums have a TT tacked on, but it's very much an afterthought. State Championships (and larger) races still happen, but in general you're going to be traveling a poke if you want to string together a "season" with regular TT's.

Texas and West it gets better.

In TN the last few years (pre covid) we've had State TT (40k) and 2 other TT's (both around 10k) each season

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was the regional USAC 40k this year for the SE I went to. There is usually an early spring series somewhere in the state. Wade NC near Fayetteville.

In late fall in the lull in cyclocross between late summer and true winter a local guy usually puts on a mini Strava series of TT's for fun and shit talking and good times. Near Chapel Hill NC.

Sadly we lost the Charlotte motor speedway TT series years back. That was really cool. A drive, but neat.

Coastal NC has a series each year. Just a bit far for me for weekends on that one. The CMS series was weeknights so I could leave work early and go home on a work night and not mess up family weekend all day.

I wish USAC would add a mandate that all clubs that cycle through hosting the local road race must in their alternate years not being the road race host, host a local TT.

We have a small group in Raleigh that once a month does an informal TT thing, mostly as a workout thing for folks and not super formal. But we have 3 of us out of maybe 10 show up in full kit for a run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Indiana, and there's many options:
Monthly Blue Streak TT in Dayton, OH
Weekly TT in Cincinnati, OH
Monthly (roughly) ABR races around Chicago
Monthly TT's near Toledo, OH
Weekly TT near Grand Rapids, MI

There were monthly TT's here in Indiana, but both have stopped (I ran one of them). I may start another one in 2022, and my incentive would be to provide another TT option, not to make money. Getting volunteers is the biggest struggle.

---Francis
Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [cervelo3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cervelo3 wrote:

There were monthly TT's here in Indiana, but both have stopped (I ran one of them). I may start another one in 2022, and my incentive would be to provide another TT option, not to make money. Getting volunteers is the biggest struggle.

---Francis

I live in Chicago and would love to do a TT race, but never seem to come across any. I'm a triathlete with a triathlete's bike handling skills so a crit or any kind of group race has never appealed to me. We have the Intelligentsia Cup each year, but as far as I know it does not include a TT. I checked the ABR website and was glad to see some in the general vicinity of Chicago, so thanks for the tip. Anyone else who knows of TTs or resources to find them, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions you can offer.
Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
cervelo3 wrote:

---Francis

I live in Chicago and would love to do a TT race, but never seem to come across any. I'm a triathlete with a triathlete's bike handling skills so a crit or any kind of group race has never appealed to me. We have the Intelligentsia Cup each year, but as far as I know it does not include a TT. I checked the ABR website and was glad to see some in the general vicinity of Chicago, so thanks for the tip. Anyone else who knows of TTs or resources to find them, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Most of these are close to you. The series is not part of USAC and doesn’t get a lot of publicity. Ignore the “2014” in the description. It was fully active in 2021.

https://www.midamericatimetrialseries.com/2014-matts-schedule
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bpe wrote:
I live in the Philly area and was looking for local, or even somewhat local, TT racing. Either it doesn't exist or it's in a parallel universe that I can't see. Is it long gone, COVID related, or am I missing something?

Brian

Basically the second post in this thread.

Also, the Philly collegiate teams held Philly Phlyer ITT pre-pandemic, and there’s also Church Creek in Maryland
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. I looked at bike reg and saw so few time trial races listed. It's a shame because it's kind of a neat discipline.

Having to own a stupid impractical expensive and uncomfortable bicycle to be competitive has pretty much killed it. It's funny all of the dumb crap the UCI has banned over the years when something useful to ban would have been forward facing aero bars all those years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

In TN the last few years (pre covid) we've had State TT (40k) and 2 other TT's (both around 10k) each season

And Bell's Bend 20k-isth TT (North Nashville) 1x a month over the summer on the Wednesdays when the Music City Crits aren't running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road racing appears to be dead but there is a weekly and monthly TT series within 1.5 hours of me in Cincinnati (Cleves TT) and Dayton (Blue Streak). BS has actually put in some real effort o keep going through most of Covid and I appreciate the effort they’ve given us.

Edit: sorry for repeating and earlier comment. I haven’t had my coffee yet and mistakes were made. TGIF
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Oct 8, 21 5:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLK drive TT is still a thing, times have to be insanely fast with the new pavement. (Though it says something that no one mentioned it yet. )
Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [cielo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cielo wrote:
Morelock wrote:

And Bell's Bend 20k-isth TT (North Nashville) 1x a month over the summer on the Wednesdays when the Music City Crits aren't running.

ahh forgot about that.

Sadly driving from Knoxville to Nashville on a weekday means might as well not exist for me :(

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Oct 8, 21 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [cervelo3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cervelo3 wrote:

---Francis

For the "Weekly TT near Grand Rapids, MI", I think you're referring to the Ada Time Trials hosted by The Rapid Wheelmen.
That's in my neck of the woods.
Link here: https://rapidwheelmen.com/about/

It's a 15 mile course (out and back).
It starts about 2 miles from my house.
I seldom race it, though, but I ride it frequently for my lunch time ride. I love that route and those roads and would guess that 'you' would as well!
Great event hosted by great people. Lots of fun.
From what I understand, years ago, they used to have a lot of riders per week (100+), but it's now about 30 riders per week.

Cheers,
Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In recent years our local races have been including an “Eddy” division for road bikes. Definitely makes the discipline more accessible, come as you are, no need to own a TT bike.

Also NJ as an “Eddy” TT championship race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last TT i raced a couple of years ago the Eddy division was probably the most popular. A lot of serious and competitive guys taking advantage of anything not banned within this class.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. I looked at bike reg and saw so few time trial races listed. It's a shame because it's kind of a neat discipline.

Having to own a stupid impractical expensive and uncomfortable bicycle to be competitive has pretty much killed it. It's funny all of the dumb crap the UCI has banned over the years when something useful to ban would have been forward facing aero bars all those years ago.

It's your opinion and other's, but I totally disagree.

I hear this, but you show up to a local B group 18mph ride all the way up to the local crit scene and see folks with $4000 road bikes with aero wheels and low CRR tires and aero road helmets. You also see folks at both with discount Bell commuter helmets and classic steel bikes. Many of which are really ill fitted with super slammed stems and really narrow handle bars. So comfort and cost be damned already!

So I categorically reject the notion it's because roadies don't want to spend money. Or buy another bike, when same thing.......so many B group riders up through dedicated racers often own 2, 3, 4 bikes often of the same type. Road, road, cross/gravel, mtb........etc.... C'mon. That's not a genuine excuse.

I think it boils down to folks complaining who prefer to garner skills with repetition instead of thought and analysis and science. You get good at cross doing skills practice, over and over and over. You get fast in TT being methodical with bike fit and testing (which folks like Obree did with a freaking stopwatch and no power meters).

It's mean, but I boil it down to folks preferring "brute force" of "mash pedals harder" and can't be bothered to think to go faster.

That's fine, but don't expect the world to change for you.

FWIW.......our in-town Raleigh "club" TT group only has two folks who show up with TT bikes out of a dozen when we roll the out/back TT workout for PR's. Of those, one roadie is a single speed and several are almost vintage. So it seems to me they aren't turned off to it at all due to equipment or cost.

I think the problem is that so many folks are programmed to want "points" or a participation medal or a winner's medal like you get for all the cross/crit/road/gravel stuff. In a local club TT...........you get a PR and kudos from the crew. I don't think a lot of folks appreciate the journey enough versus having a hankering for the destination. And due to this you get tied up with "well we need a permit, and to certify the course, and have USAC officials, and medals, and registrations, and and and and and....."

With the simple club run, stopwatch and clipboard. That's why our club run is like that for turnout...........the process of showing up and doing it is simple. Has nothing to do with the danged bike.

The British TT series are not UCI sanctioned and don't follow UCI rule sets and is one of the most successful ones world wide.

I've posted this photo before, and will again to prove my point...........world hour record holder in UCI rainbow stripes showing up to a very diverse local club run:

Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm fascinated by the British time trial culture. I was looking at results from back before aero bars and people were still going 30 mph on conventional road bikes.

I hope you are right, I would love to see a rebirth of local and regional time trial races in the United States. Sounds like in some areas they are pretty healthy here in the Northeast, not so much.

I will say though selling my time trial bike was a happy day sort of like selling a boat.
Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Changpao wrote:
cervelo3 wrote:

Most of these are close to you. The series is not part of USAC and doesn’t get a lot of publicity. Ignore the “2014” in the description. It was fully active in 2021.

https://www.midamericatimetrialseries.com/2014-matts-schedule

I had no idea this series existed. It looks great! I don't know much about bike racing but I think I'll give one a try next year. Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
I'm fascinated by the British time trial culture. I was looking at results from back before aero bars and people were still going 30 mph on conventional road bikes.

It's similar to the downhill BQ marathon scene in the US, except you can draft lorries (trucks) on the motorway (freeway).

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://midatlantictimetrialseries.blogspot.com/

Hello! I am not sure what you consider local, but there is a whole series if you travel a little south.
Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
jroden wrote:

It's similar to the downhill BQ marathon scene in the US, except you can draft lorries (trucks) on the motorway (freeway).

E

Which is why we should ignore folks doing 30mph 10mi runs on 300w. If they're not a 4 foot tall twig, ain't happening.

That aspect of it does bug me a bit over there if only from a safety standpoint. Geez. I couldn't imagine hopping onto the shoulder of I-540 to go do a time trial around Raleigh. Nevermind the inches wide gashes in the pavement that would swallow a bike tire.

Our in town group does out/back on Reedy Creek and Trenton. We had about 12 folks show for the monthly in summer.

PR's and KOMs get to wear the crown for the round of beers that night:

Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outstanding! I may have to steal that idea!

---Francis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
forward facing aero bars all those years ago.

As opposed to what?

But I see no evidence of TT being "dead" where I am. Next local TT will sell out.

The bulk of people aren't super serious people on expensive TT bikes, though they're welcome. Plenty of regular road bikes. Pretty chill atmosphere. Occassional elite pros show up, which makes it fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Is TT racing dead in the US? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race the MATTS series every chance I can get. There are also a couple of additional TTs in Virginia that are not part of the series (Conquer the Canal, PGT TT, Blood, Sweat and Bacon). The races range from hilly (Argyle) and very hilly (Dam TT) to pancake flat (Church Creek--in Blackwater Wildlife Refuge aka IMMD territory). Registration varies, but participation tends to be dominated by Masters division racers. Many times the Masters are faster than the (most often younger) Senior (aka "Cat") racers.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply

Prev Next