Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is Muncie 70.3 happening?
Quote | Reply
I was going to do steelhead but it was “rescheduled” for the same time next year. Muncie seems to be accepting registrations. Does anyone have intel saying this is totally confirmed and no chance of cancellation? July 11 is really soon. Also, does anyone know if the race will be held “normally” or if there will be lots of distancing rules and the like? Thx, Matt.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Muncie 70.3 happening? [MattyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyA wrote:
I was going to do steelhead but it was “rescheduled” for the same time next year. Muncie seems to be accepting registrations. Does anyone have intel saying this is totally confirmed and no chance of cancellation? July 11 is really soon. Also, does anyone know if the race will be held “normally” or if there will be lots of distancing rules and the like? Thx, Matt.

If it does happen, it will be HOT HOT HOT! Always is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it does they're going to be taking a big risk. Indiana has been hit hard with Covid19. I'd like to see racing resume in August or September. That would be more prudent imo.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Muncie 70.3 happening? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you locally hospitals look good. Indiana is still back on track for a July 4th opening. Locally the government is on board and the RD has been putting a lot of info out about changes and plans to help minimize risks. I feel it is a better than 50/50 shot at this point that the race DOES happen. That's why I I signed up this week.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they ever put Muncie during a month that wasn't July..it's be a pretty rad race.
When the water is 88 degrees and the bike and run are a heat index of 96, you gotta ask why the hell they don't move it a month.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Muncie 70.3 happening? [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FasterTwitch wrote:
If they ever put Muncie during a month that wasn't July..it's be a pretty rad race.
When the water is 88 degrees and the bike and run are a heat index of 96, you gotta ask why the hell they don't move it a month.

The year I did it the race was non-wetsuit legal. They had just resurfaced the asphalt roads for the run and while smooth it was hot.

Not a bad race, but if I raced at 88F water temperature I'd be using a speedo and going out super easy on the swim to save myself for the rest of the race. I'm finding swimming in my wetsuit at 70F warm right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyA wrote:

Unless the race has changed ownership recently the RD is a big fan of TT starts vs mass starts. Other races they host at the same venue are TT starts and they work well (I think we left 20 seconds apart in the last one I did). To my knowledge Muncie 70.3 has never been run this way mainly because of WTC rules. So I would expect at least a quasi-TT style start with greatly reduced huddling before the start. I know this splits opinions but it will work at the venue and they have done it enough times that it won't cause any logistic issues. I will stress that I have not seen this in writing or heard it specifically said in context to this years race but I think its a good bet knowing the history of the race, RD and venue.

In terms of other changes/cancellations its potentially important to remember the race is the middle of absolute no where so it hard to see any direct issue with the race and locals. To call Prairie Creek 'Muncie' is a stretch and I'm not sure Muncie has a large enough population when Ball State University is closed to qualify as a small town. If you want an isolated race venue Muncie 70.3 ticks all the boxes which is key under the current circumstances.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Muncie 70.3 happening? [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree! I’ve done it in a year when it was wetsuit legal and not too hot and another when it was brutally hot and boy did that year suck! The bike course is nice, the run course is tough on its own but when it’s hot and sunny it is brutal since there is like zero shade on the run.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Is Muncie 70.3 happening? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:

In terms of other changes/cancellations its potentially important to remember the race is the middle of absolute no where so it hard to see any direct issue with the race and locals. To call Prairie Creek 'Muncie' is a stretch and I'm not sure Muncie has a large enough population when Ball State University is closed to qualify as a small town. If you want an isolated race venue Muncie 70.3 ticks all the boxes which is key under the current circumstances.

It seems to me that it comes down to whether the local health authority is comfortable with the risk of athletes from outside the area visiting Muncie to use hotels, stores, restaurants, etc. I assume the RD is telling local officials that the race brings lots of $ to Muncie, not that the race really isn't in Muncie. I did the following research a couple of weeks ago regarding upcoming 70.3s that haven't been cancelled/postponed: At this point, Delaware Co, OH where the Ohio race is held has the lowest COVID-19 death rate per 100K (7), then Lubbock Co., TX (17), then Delaware Co, IN (35) where Muncie is located.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 8, 20 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: Is Muncie 70.3 happening? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
scott8888 wrote:

It seems to me that it comes down to whether the local health authority is comfortable with the risk of athletes from outside the area visiting Muncie to use hotels, stores, restaurants, etc. I assume the RD is telling county officials that the race brings lots of $ to Muncie, not that the race isn't in Muncie. I did the following research a couple of weeks ago regarding upcoming 70.3s that haven't been cancelled/postponed: At this point, Delaware Co, OH where the Ohio race is held has the lowest COVID-19 death rate per 100K (7), then Lubbock Co., TX (17), then Delaware Co, IN (35) where Muncie is located.

I really don't think any discussion on the city of Muncie, IN is that relevant. Prairie Creek is 20min from Muncie and that is 20min in the wrong direction from anywhere. Prairie Creek is 1hr 3min from where I was living in Indianapolis when I was racing at the venue, its less than 1.5 hrs from the center of Dayton, Ohio and something like 2 hours from Cincinnati but all in the wrong direction from Muncie. I think the number of people racing Muncie 70.3 who are staying in or even visiting Muncie will be very small as logistically Muncie doesn't make a lot of sense. Indy, Dayton and the other cities where people will actually be traveling to and from don't have a say on the race permits. So I can't see local health authorities in Muncie raising any significant concerns with the race. If the race does cause a spike in infections they won't hit Muncie itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott,

I've done Muncie multiple times coming from Dayton or Columbus and have always stayed in a hotel in Muncie the night before the race. If folks from the cities you mention, other than Indy, decide to drive to the event race morning instead of staying overnight in Muncie that would certainly affect risk analysis regarding COVID-19 and the economic impact of the event on Muncie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only produce one event in Muncie, IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie... youre referring to a different RD, different company, different experience. As of right now, Muncie is a go, and we are moving forward as planned. I spent last week up there and the park, city and county are all looking forward to the event. Some things will look different, especially pre and post race, but the swim/bike/run remain largely unchanged. Hope to see some of you in just over a month.

Brian
Last edited by: endurathonrd: Jun 8, 20 9:33
Quote Reply
Re: Is Muncie 70.3 happening? [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:
I only produce one event in Muncie, IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie... youre referring to a different RD, different company, different experience. As of right now, Muncie is a go, and we are moving forward as planned. I spent last week up there and the park, city and county are all looking forward to the event. Some things will look different, especially pre and post race, but the swim/bike/run remain largely unchanged. Hope to see some of you in just over a month.

Brian

well will adjust the temperatures a bit?

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the risks associated with signing up for the race now? If its cancelled, do you know what the deferral options would be?

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:

Brian

With all due respect, this is not a typical year. I’ve supported Muncie for years and know the risks (like the violent thunderstorms during the swim one year, and brutal heat and humidity, not to mention the big price increase when the endurathon was sold to WTC). But doing a half IM in the mist of a pandemic and with pools just starting to open (no swim training for the past 3 months) puts me over my risk threshold. Please explain to me the reason for not offering a deferral to 2021?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Muncie 70.3 happening? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you get that deferral option, ive been fighting for it for a month. I dont make those decisions, or the ones about what races you get options into if they are cancelled or delayed. I havent been involved with those type of decisions since it was the Endurathon. Dang time flies, that was a long time ago.
Last edited by: endurathonrd: Jun 8, 20 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best news I've read all day! I signed up last week when it looked like the race might happen. Hearing from the RD that (so far, at least) it's a go, is GREAT news! I'm eager to see how it all works.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Muncie 70.3 happening? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
Best news I've read all day! I signed up last week when it looked like the race might happen. Hearing from the RD that (so far, at least) it's a go, is GREAT news! I'm eager to see how it all works.

"Signed up last week" and "Eager to see how it all works" tells me you're more risk averse than me. My race was moved to October and I'm good with that date right now. I'm not in a hurry to jump into a huge event with people from all corners in attendance. I've been to Walmart enough to see about 30% of people wearing masks to know this thing will persist longer than we would like. I know someone doing this race and they are hell bent on the date sticking. I'm sitting there thinking, please don't come back and get me sick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you mean "less" risk averse. And yes, everyone has their own risk tolerance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Eileen wrote:

"Signed up last week" and "Eager to see how it all works" tells me you're more risk averse than me. My race was moved to October and I'm good with that date right now. I'm not in a hurry to jump into a huge event with people from all corners in attendance. I've been to Walmart enough to see about 30% of people wearing masks to know this thing will persist longer than we would like. I know someone doing this race and they are hell bent on the date sticking. I'm sitting there thinking, please don't come back and get me sick.

You also do not know the individuals current situation. They may have tested positive for antibodies. They may have already had COVID-SARS-2 and are not concerned with contracting it again so soon after contracting it in the first place. I totally understand want to continue with isolation if you have been able to avoid the virus...but the most recent WHO report suggests that those of us who have already dealt with the virus are not good vectors for transmission to others.

Now -- I totally agree with having zero swim fitness being a concern. For me its also that I have somewhat compromised lung capacity compared to normal. I am confident that I could complete a 70.3 right now...but probably way slower than I would like. But getting back to racing would be glorious.

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Quote Reply
Re: Is Muncie 70.3 happening? [MatthewLigman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a love-hate relationship with IM, if they say ‘screw you, no deferral’, then I’m done with them. While many act like it is an ‘individual’ choice to race, the race is a group setting. I have no problem with those who want to race, the risks are too high for me to do so. My beef is with IM not providing options that they have in other venues.
Last edited by: vonschnapps: Jun 9, 20 16:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. Great to heat that Muncie is a race option. When the lockdowns happened I figured everything would be cancelled so didn't stick with my training plan. Plus I haven't been swimming in a LONG time. So I'm really on the fence about racing. A PR is out of the question but a qualification to St George is in range depending on who shows up. Also my wife is super-down on the prospect of me attending an event with lots of strangers (COVID risk). Unless there's a sellout I'll make a call closer to race day. Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not going. I think we’ve taken our eye off the ball abs will soon be back to where we were in March. I’m also a tad sensitive to the topic because I’ve lost my uncle to it and I now have two friends who have it thanks to participating in the protests.

Quote | Reply
Let’s assume the race actually goes forward.... Any chance the race adds a pro field?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Is Muncie 70.3 happening? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Id go with 99.9% not a chance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next