Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch?
Quote | Reply
I recently had a couple of bad bike crashes. One of them cracking my beloved Garmin 920 and the other cracking my thumb (3 months immobilized...). I've been using the 920 with the cracked screen lately and planning to buy a new watch on Black Friday; but after looking at all the reviews on the 935 and 945, it just doesn't seem worth it. I think the biggest issue is losing the square face (absolutely love the look and feel; and I wear it at work frequently with business casual). To me, the round face just makes it look like another cheap digital watch AND decreases the screen size. It's lose-lose. So now, I'm looking at repairing it instead (after buying a replacement screen and calling several repair shops who are incapable of fixing anything that is not a cell phone, I'm now looking at sending it to fixyourgps.com). I just can't seem to give it up.

Anyone else agree? I know a lot of the local pros here seem to still use the 920 as well. It just seemed to fix every gripe I had with the 910 and I've never really wanted more from a watch.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd argue the 935 is better only because the Optical HR. Yes I prefer a square face, but I find it's not terrible to get used to it.

Also I do think I'm the looks department the 935 is thinner than the 920.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too prefer the square face and simple operation of the 920. And it’s been dead reliable. I am tempted to get a spare since typical resale prices make the 920 a bargain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d say that the 935 was the perfect watch. It has enough for almost anyone to complete an IM and the oHR on the back. Plus while some may prefer the square look the 935 kind of just blends in as a normal looking watch and has quick release bands. It’s a watch that in less than a second can be worn with a tuxedo or a speedo. And not stick out like a sore thumb in the process.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I jumped from a 910XT to a 735XT, and I never missed the square face. I now have a 945, and that is pretty freakin' close to perfect. It does everything, and it has not let me down yet. The screen readability (combination of higher resolution, better contrast, and better lighting) of the latest Garmin watches crushes the 920XT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JourneyToGoPro wrote:
I recently had a couple of bad bike crashes. One of them cracking my beloved Garmin 920 and the other cracking my thumb (3 months immobilized...). I've been using the 920 with the cracked screen lately and planning to buy a new watch on Black Friday; but after looking at all the reviews on the 935 and 945, it just doesn't seem worth it. I think the biggest issue is losing the square face (absolutely love the look and feel; and I wear it at work frequently with business casual). To me, the round face just makes it look like another cheap digital watch AND decreases the screen size. It's lose-lose. So now, I'm looking at repairing it instead (after buying a replacement screen and calling several repair shops who are incapable of fixing anything that is not a cell phone, I'm now looking at sending it to fixyourgps.com). I just can't seem to give it up.

Anyone else agree? I know a lot of the local pros here seem to still use the 920 as well. It just seemed to fix every gripe I had with the 910 and I've never really wanted more from a watch.

Still using a 910 here. What are/were your gripes with the 910?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> I’d say that the 935 was the perfect watch

This.

I had the 920xt, the 935 and now the 945. The 935 is definitely the best watch in my opinion. I understand some people prefer there squared format, but that was never an issue to me, especially if you have a head-unit for the bike (and most triathletes have). The fact that the 935 (and 945) looks so much better than the 920xt and I can use it 24/7 is definitely a plus for me. The oHR is meh on both 935/945 (and most watches). I still use my HR strap because it's more reliable.

Some might ask, why isn't the 945 better than the 935? Well, the 945 is (still) facing many issues: poor GPS tracking, very poor battery life, oHR cracking, mushy buttons, sync issues, etc. I think the mushy buttons have been fixed in the last revision (D). I have this revision now and it's definitely better than the original watch I got in the beginning. The battery still sucks but I wouldn't be surprised if Garmin makes it more tolerable. GPS tracking and sync issues, are things that can be addressed with software update. Garmin just released (last night 11/06) the 3.30 update and it promises fixing some bluetooth connectivity issues. Let's see.

TLDR: I used all watches for many years (or months with 945) and I always loved my 935.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
JourneyToGoPro wrote:

Still using a 910 here. What are/were your gripes with the 910?

• Always felt bulky/stiff
  • Didn't display the time when not in use so that I could actually use it as a watch
  • Could never upload workouts or update software since the ant+ stick wouldn't work with my computer (had to use someone else's computer to do it); Automatic uploads and updates by wifi/bluetooth are a BIG deal
  • Bluetooth connection allows me to view texts safely when driving (if necessary, expecting something important)
  • Finds satellites much much quicker

For some reason, I still have my 910. I need to sell it.

-Bryan Journey
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
I'd argue the 935 is better only because the Optical HR. Yes I prefer a square face, but I find it's not terrible to get used to it.

Also I do think I'm the looks department the 935 is thinner than the 920.

The optical HR would be the only reason I would consider it and attempt to get used to the round face. I bought my wife a 735 so I'll probably try that out for a week just to see. Thus far though, I'm still holding out hope that Garmin comes to their senses and updates the 920 with an optical HR, longer battery, and thinner display.

-Bryan Journey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quoteThus far though, I'm still holding out hope that Garmin comes to their senses and updates the 920 with an optical HR, longer battery, and thinner display.[/quote]
They have zero square face watches left, no? Embrace it! No sense in fighting it. It's a losing battle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JourneyToGoPro wrote:
[I bought my wife a 735 so I'll probably try that out for a week just to see.
My 735XT was my favorite watch of all time. It worked flawlessly for 3 years-- never rebooted or lost an activity that I can remember. I have a 945 because it is a shiny object. You should adjust to the 735XT round screen in minutes-- I did. The layout is actually way better than the square, because 1 field at top, 2 in the middle, 1 at the bottom. Mental processing is quicker.

Things to note... the 935/945 screens are an order of magnitude better than the 735XT. So, have that in the back of your mind. The 735XT screen is not round-- it is clipped on the top and bottom-- and that limits presentation a little. Also, the big boy watches have higher resolution and better contrast & lighting, so the text looks sharper and jumps off the screen more.

Garmin recently updated the 945 firmware to capture HR in a pool. I absolution love this feature, and would highly recommend the 945 over the 935 for this alone (despite the 945 issues mentioned above).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my wife’s old 920 for sale if you were interested in a spare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you compare the screens side by side, you actually get more display area in the 935 than the 920. I was surprised
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
I too prefer the square face and simple operation of the 920. And it’s been dead reliable. I am tempted to get a spare since typical resale prices make the 920 a bargain.
This is what I did. Just watch the classifieds whenever a new watch gets released. Love the 920 (do not want the HR on my watches), and have picked up a couple of spares. Can't be the price either when others are looking to upgrade and sell their current/old 920.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly can't think of anything about the 920 that I don't like, except that the battery is getting old---my life is probably half what it was 3 years ago. But, I just bought a new battery...I just need to install it. Also, I'm on my 4th watch band---the cheap silicone ones last a lot longer than the offical garmins do.

I only wish that garmin wouldn't obsolete things so quickly...as 2 years seems very short for software PLATFORM (CiQ) support. That said, the only thing I ever wanted in that regard was trainingpeaks app sync. But, I got that when garmin decided to enable the calendar sync API on the web instead of through the custom TP CiQ app.

all that said, its not like I've tried any of the newer watches. I've read the reviews, and couldn't really see that any of the new features mattered to me, as OHR is not on my wish-list.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 7, 19 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 920 is a solid backup to my 945. It's a good watch.

I like the 935 and 945. I recently gave my 935 to my GF and she likes it better than her 920.

The battery was better on my 935 but the 945 has some features i like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JourneyToGoPro wrote:

I use a Garmin Fenix 5x and it has been the perfect watch for me. If I get anything else, it will be an upgrade from Best Buy to the 6x Sapphire (I don't trust the solar screen to my mayhem).

I'm kind of digging the casual brown band. I wear the 5x with a suit every now and then and the brown would be chill.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Nov 7, 19 13:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
935 out guns the 920... wayyyy Better Battery Life. More versatility W quick Release, (better band options/ so easy n fun to switch bands, keeps the Novelty factor going, faster GPS... Instant Optical Heart Rate, i could go on... Bye Square Face i will miss u!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [Verve4000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PS AFFORDABLE!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They did All that... its called the 935...! 🥳
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [Verve4000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Verve4000 wrote:
PS AFFORDABLE!!!

The adjective mentioned was 'perfect' - lol. Perfect comes with a price tag. Especially with diamonds.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 920xt has been great in every area except battery life for a full IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to replace the cover yourself, there are videos on YouTube on how to do it. Even triathlon Taren did one where he disassembled a 920. For me it’s great and I picked up a spare off eBay. I am very particular and when I get something that works for me I stick with it until convinced that something else is solid. Example: I had two 305’s. Watch all the threads on new forerunners, kept up with DC Rainmakers reviews, and finally bought the 920 after it was out for awhile. I’m sure some newer models are fine and probably will pick up one of the proven models in a few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s so choice. You’re right, it’s the perfect device. If they released the same square form factor with an optical HR and updated display they’d have a new hall of famer

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No Bluetooth. That's about it.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply

Prev Next