Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Stumps wrote:
zeusrun wrote:
USAT Age Groups rules apply to riding on the left and blocking even if no one is behind you. USAT Elite rules allow Elite riders to ride left or right and pass left or right.

The race wasn't under USAT rules. I know this will come as a huge shock to a lot of people but we don't follow USAT rules in Europe, which is where the race was!

the picture where he's being criticized for riding the yellow line is from St. George.

were the specific 2017 professional rule is:

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Great run stride though.

lol, you're funny
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After some careful measuring suggested by Jorgan I've found that a long dash plus short space equals exactly 6 meters. ITU regs stipulate a minimum of 12 meters between the lead moto and the athletes. In this shot they look to have about 8 to 9 meters. So no the motos where not keeping the prescribed distance and were helping the front group more than they should.

Hugh

Last edited by: sciguy: Jun 9, 17 3:51
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [trineuropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trineuropa wrote:
kileyay wrote:
chicanery wrote:
Sanders who just rocks a ton

I don't know if I've ever seen a noisier rider than Lionel Sanders. Just so much upper body movement and rocking going on. It's no wonder he needs 360 watts to split what everybody else can split on 330 -- he's just not a very efficient rider

And yeah Alistair looked great. Can't get much better than that

I'm glad that videos can show you that can't get much better than Alistair's biking. Wouldn't want something silly like speed or time to influence your opinion on someone's riding.

I hope you got similar videos during your aero testing so that you can visually decide which bike is great.

I think you need to either need to read the conversation you're jumping into or clue in to the context. Wr were talking about his bike fit, not whether his biking was bad or good or the great . He has a damn good fit: keeps great overall posture, has his hips rolled forward, stays quiet and still in his upper body, and relaxed as all fuck in the upper body...and(!) he keeps his damn head down like his life depends on it.

He's getting a ton for his watts -- he's a really efficient rider. But he's never going to make Lionel (up to 370) or even Kienle watts (up to 340). He maybe will put 325 into the pedals for the half iron bike leg. So basically, he may be more efficient than Lionel -- actually, he is much more efficient -- but he's not going to go faster on a pure watts course unless he acts like he did on Saturday. And that didn't even work out for him.

For the record I think Ali was just flat on this day and in combination with the heat and absolutely gassing himself to get to T2 before guys pushing 20 or 40 more watts than he was.

P.S. In comparison Vargas looked like he was basically on a really aggressive road bike. Head all up in the sky and shit.
Last edited by: kileyay: Jun 9, 17 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote ]
Everything that has been bought up here and in the past shows they already do. This isn't just challenge either, The brothers know how to 'bend' the rules and because they are the Olympic medalists and big names in the sport, they know they will not be called up on it like other athletes would. The Moto drafting tactic we have seen them use in itu turns a front pack advantage of a few seconds into over a minute in an impossibly short period of time. Sure the chasing groups can bury themselves and be very strong cyclists in their own right but if they don't make that front pack, if it is a moto pacing group, they won't catch. When it is done so blatantly obviously, like Leeds last year and Rio, it actually is cheating to obtain an advantage, not much different to doping really. We know GB tri and ITU are lenient on that one for British athletes too.[/quote]

I was a fan of the Brownlees until I watched the 2014 Abu Dhabi triathlon. They were literally pulling each other around the 100k bike course, in non-drafting race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2rueb4fyCU

[ The sign of intelligence is you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in their life. - Vasudev ]
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
trineuropa wrote:
kileyay wrote:
chicanery wrote:
Sanders who just rocks a ton

I don't know if I've ever seen a noisier rider than Lionel Sanders. Just so much upper body movement and rocking going on. It's no wonder he needs 360 watts to split what everybody else can split on 330 -- he's just not a very efficient rider

And yeah Alistair looked great. Can't get much better than that

I'm glad that videos can show you that can't get much better than Alistair's biking. Wouldn't want something silly like speed or time to influence your opinion on someone's riding.

I hope you got similar videos during your aero testing so that you can visually decide which bike is great.

I think you need to either need to read the conversation you're jumping into or clue in to the context. Wr were talking about his bike fit, not whether his biking was bad or good or the great . He has a damn good fit: keeps great overall posture, has his hips rolled forward, stays quiet and still in his upper body, and relaxed as all fuck in the upper body...and(!) he keeps his damn head down like his life depends on it.

He's getting a ton for his watts -- he's a really efficient rider. But he's never going to make Lionel (up to 370) or even Kienle watts (up to 340). He maybe will put 325 into the pedals for the half iron bike leg. So basically, he may be more efficient than Lionel -- actually, he is much more efficient -- but he's not going to go faster on a pure watts course unless he acts like he did on Saturday. And that didn't even work out for him.

For the record I think Ali was just flat on this day and in combination with the heat and absolutely gassing himself to get to T2 before guys pushing 20 or 40 more watts than he was.

P.S. In comparison Vargas looked like he was basically on a really aggressive road bike. Head all up in the sky and shit.

Can't disagree other than AB is probably a little higher than that in peak condition - prob closer to 340w in a 70.3 - (This is based on a rumoured FTP of 365-370w before Rio). Gomez who is lighter is 345-355w. On flat courses LS and SK obviously have an advantage but you can see on moderately hilly courses, the time gaps will be negligible as was shown in St George, given the W/kg between all these guys usually hits 4.8-4.9.

For LS to bike like he does, his engine must be off the charts. Same can be said of his running (although this is sometimes overplayed). Would be interesting to dig a little deeper into his physiology.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The centre line in that picture looks like a 'hazard' area i.e. the lines are closely spaced. If there is no deemed hazard (like a bend ahead), the centre lines have a greater spacing. Rather than someone risk their neck with a tape measure on the road, you could just use the measuring feature on Google Earth :)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
The centre line in that picture looks like a 'hazard' area i.e. the lines are closely spaced. If there is no deemed hazard (like a bend ahead), the centre lines have a greater spacing. Rather than someone risk their neck with a tape measure on the road, you could just use the measuring feature on Google Earth :)

Thanks Jorgan,

Genius! 8 combined dashes plus spaces equals exactly 48 meters. The measuring tool worked a treat.

Regards,

Hugh

Last edited by: sciguy: Jun 9, 17 3:28
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [planetsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must say I am absolutely loving how salty Brownlee has got some of you guys worked up.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
I must say I am absolutely loving how salty Brownlee has got some of you guys worked up.

He certainly has generated more interest than ever, we should be thankful for that.

I'm not convinced he'll stay at the LD stuff.

His interview before the race he already mentioned missing the hard man to man racing in ITU.
, and that was after two races.

Added to that the mixed relay in Tokyo, he may well be back at OD full time by next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
messien wrote:

He certainly has generated more interest than ever, we should be thankful for that.

His interview before the race he already mentioned missing the hard man to man racing in ITU.

Added to that the mixed relay in Tokyo, he may well be back at OD full time by next year.

I'm in the camp that there are better ambassadors for the sport - Gomez, Mola, Kienle, Sanders, Murray (if you excuse his blowup against the officials at Hamburg 2016). But as someone said above, as long as he is winning he could give two shits about what people think about him.

As for his future in LD, in a recent interview when asked when he will be going to Kona he said maybe 2018 ... but maybe not. Will definitely need some training in the heat if Kona is on his radar.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [planetsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
planetsbr wrote:
I was a fan of the Brownlees until I watched the 2014 Abu Dhabi triathlon. They were literally pulling each other around the 100k bike course, in non-drafting race.

This is incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
planetsbr wrote:
From 1:03:30 to 1:05:40 its blatant. Stone them!
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo71 wrote:
planetsbr wrote:
From 1:03:30 to 1:05:40 its blatant. Stone them!

Lol:-)

Love the commentary: "their idea of 12 m is not my idea of 12m" :-) how did they (or - he in the back which i guess is JB) not get called for this?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo71 wrote:
bluefever wrote:
messien wrote:

I'm in the camp that there are better ambassadors for the sport - Gomez, Mola, Kienle, Sanders, Murray (if you excuse his blowup against the officials at Hamburg 2016). But as someone said above, as long as he is winning he could give two shits about what people think about him.

As for his future in LD, in a recent interview when asked when he will be going to Kona he said maybe 2018 ... but maybe not. Will definitely need some training in the heat if Kona is on his radar.

I'm sorry but this is bullshit! He's a fine ambassador for the sport, he probably is the only proper household name there's been in Triathlon. He hasn't been arrested, bitten a competitor, caught using drugs, abused or assaulted an official or spectator (I could go on and on) as in other sports.

Other than Gomez who I'll give you is squeeky clean roll model professional I'd love to know how any of the others are better ambassadors for Triathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Apollo71 wrote:
bluefever wrote:
messien wrote:

I'm sorry but this is bullshit! He's a fine ambassador for the sport, he probably is the only proper household name there's been in Triathlon. He hasn't been arrested, bitten a competitor, caught using drugs, abused or assaulted an official or spectator (I could go on and on) as in other sports.

Other than Gomez who I'll give you is squeeky clean roll model professional I'd love to know how any of the others are better ambassadors for Triathlon?

I'll bite. Better options for ambassadors: Kienle (great sense of humor, shows respect for other competitors, works hard), Sanders (obviously the whole remaking his life thing, winning through effort, relatable with some newbie mistakes, very open with all of his data and training, quirky in a good way), Duffy (burnt out and then found the passion again, goes all out, gives a good interview, can do road tris or xterra), Gwen (that run, always willing to give up her time to promote the sport, respectful and supportive of other athletes, has no obligation to do so but takes pulls on the bike)

I'll stop there, but I would argue that there are many better ambassadors for our sport than AB (who couldn't be bothered to attend the pro panel at St George).
Last edited by: trineuropa: Jun 9, 17 18:50
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [trineuropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AB and his brother do quite a bit for grassroots tri in U.K. Seem to have their own tri events plus do numerous appearances etc. plus he made the most news worldwide probably ever for triathlon in carrying his brother across finish line. Maybe he doesn't do enough for many of the elitist participants in tri here on slowtwitch but he has definitely done more for triathlon worldwide and in uk than probably all of those other athletes combined.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
AB and his brother do quite a bit for grassroots tri in U.K. Seem to have their own tri events plus do numerous appearances etc. plus he made the most news worldwide probably ever for triathlon in carrying his brother across finish line. Maybe he doesn't do enough for many of the elitist participants in tri here on slowtwitch but he has definitely done more for triathlon worldwide and in uk than probably all of those other athletes combined.

I have no doubt that he has done much to support himself, his brother, and his own local community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trineuropa wrote:
I'll bite. Better options for ambassadors: Kienle (great sense of humor, shows respect for other competitors, works hard), Sanders (obviously the whole remaking his life thing, winning through effort, relatable with se newbie mistakes, very open with all of his data and training, quirky in a good way), Duffy (burnt out and then found the passion again, goes all out, gives a good interview, can do road trips or xterra), Gwen (that run, always willing to give up her time to promote the sport, respectful and supportive of other athletes, has no obligation to do so but takes pulls on the bike)

I'll stop there, but I would argue that there are many better ambassadors for our sport than AB (who couldn't be bothered to attend the pro panel at St George).

x1000

It's fine to assert that this guy isn't classless, but to suggest he's some kind of worthy ambassador for the sport is absurd. It's pretty hard to imagine a worse ambassador for the sport (among all the contenders) than Alistair Brownlee. I love how it is said that because Alistair hasn't "bitten a competitor" or "assaulted an official or spectator" he is a fine ambassador for the sport.

Aside from everything else, these guys are boring. There is nothing interesting about them. AND it seems like they are assholes.

So really the only reason to like them is because they are fast. And because they haven't bitten anyone, of course.
Last edited by: kileyay: Jun 9, 17 18:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AB is just classy. And he is in a class of his own when it comes to wins and income.
No wonder long distance triathlon fans get all rallied up when he can change distance and beat many of the best almost without trying.
While the long distance guys are going to Kona, AB is going to the bank.

I am looking forward to the long distance guys trying olympic distance. It is always the ITU guys changing distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trineuropa wrote:
fulla wrote:

I have no doubt that he has done much to support himself, his brother, and his own local community.

when you say 'own local community', do you mean british triathlon as well? notice how strong GB/UK got in triathlon after he started winning most races he started...he's someone who has the ability to transcend triathlon, the others have not and do not have this ability as far as I am aware. LS certainly has the ability to do so with his background, but he is in the wrong part of triathlon to do that. ie, non drafting.

I also find it strange how people are calling him classless etc for these one or two events which are in a new format for him, when he is one of the most 'attackingest' riders we have seen in itu. He's intelligent and speaks his mind. But give credit where credit is due. He is certainly one of the best racers to watch in itu.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
trineuropa wrote:
fulla wrote:

when you say 'own local community', do you mean british triathlon as well? notice how strong GB/UK got in triathlon after he started winning most races he started...he's someone who has the ability to transcend triathlon, the others have not and do not have this ability as far as I am aware. LS certainly has the ability to do so with his background, but he is in the wrong part of triathlon to do that. ie, non drafting.

I also find it strange how people are calling him classless etc for these one or two events which are in a new format for him, when he is one of the most 'attackingest' riders we have seen in itu. He's intelligent and speaks his mind. But give credit where credit is due. He is certainly one of the best racers to watch in itu.

Yes. Yes, I do mean british triathlon.

By referencing "one or two events which are in a new format for him," do you include the events back to 2014, as referenced by the video above?

I do love short course. There are many short course athletes that I appreciate (after all, you'll note that 50% of the athletes I listed as better ambassadors are short course athletes). Most of these athletes are not allowed to design a course that expressly suits their own skillset over their competitors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
trineuropa wrote:
I'll bite. Better options for ambassadors: Kienle (great sense of humor, shows respect for other competitors, works hard), Sanders (obviously the whole remaking his life thing, winning through effort, relatable with se newbie mistakes, very open with all of his data and training, quirky in a good way), Duffy (burnt out and then found the passion again, goes all out, gives a good interview, can do road trips or xterra), Gwen (that run, always willing to give up her time to promote the sport, respectful and supportive of other athletes, has no obligation to do so but takes pulls on the bike)

So really the only reason to like them is because they are fast.

Bit like that pubes guy that did the aero test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trineuropa wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Apollo71 wrote:
bluefever wrote:
messien wrote:

I'll bite. Better options for ambassadors: Kienle (great sense of humor, shows respect for other competitors, works hard), Sanders (obviously the whole remaking his life thing, winning through effort, relatable with some newbie mistakes, very open with all of his data and training, quirky in a good way), Duffy (burnt out and then found the passion again, goes all out, gives a good interview, can do road tris or xterra), Gwen (that run, always willing to give up her time to promote the sport, respectful and supportive of other athletes, has no obligation to do so but takes pulls on the bike)

It's a good job you did 'stop there!'

Some cringe worthy clutching at straws stuff going on there, Kienle works hard does he? Like Ali got to be the best at what he does by sitting on his couch all day playing Xbox!

Outside of Triathlon hardly anybody even knows who any of them you listed are, Ali probably has more Twitter followers than the the lot of them combined (I bet the majority of them arent in the slightest bit bothered he's not coming on S.T and posting his geeky data either! He's one of the faces of Adidas, has his own Triathlon center with his bro. Probably the single most watched/famous clip in Triathlon history of him carrying his brother over the line, 2nd in BBC sports personality of the year last year which is a pretty big deal in the UK. Now has his own home town ITU race which will probably be the best attended on the whole circuit, is the COMPLETE Triathlete! With absolutely no weakness in any discipline and can lay claim to being one of the very best in the sport in each one!

But let's forget all that because for whatever reason he didn't show for a pre race press conference once! Please stop the irrational hate.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Alistair Brownlee, triathlon's top athlete, a classless competitor? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets...Don't forget he's an evil mastermind drafter
Quote Reply

Prev Next