Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Irony [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no. you stated lockdown, which there has not been.

Quote Reply
Re: Irony [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
thats because there have been no lockdown policies in any US states.

No closed borders, no mandated quarantines, no other elimination strategies.

So the comparison is between states which are using different levels of attempted suppression which we know does not work. So a better statement would be little or no regional impact of differing levels of suppression.

This in large part is why I don't have any problem with triathlons and other events happening. To do an elimination strategy that would get rid of community spread would require draconian measures that would not be accepted by too much of the population.

Last March, most places were locked down as much as the populace would tolerate. It wasn't enough to eliminate. So now, we are where we are. Continuing on as if there is a 'lockdown' going on while the majority behavior doesn't reflect it is calling for huge personal sacrifice that produces no societal benefit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
no. you stated lockdown, which there has not been.
semantics - that’s the vernacular used in my social circles when describing the various policies that restricted businesses and events.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix.... this post of yours is one of the best i've read.
thank you....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with all due respect its not just semantics.

You are presenting an argument where you are trying to support your point using terminology that's made up, as if it is a fact.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
States with aggressive policing of mask policies don’t seem to fare any better (or worse) than those with a much more laissez faire attitude.

Even in Texas, there are areas of the state that are aggressively anti-mask and unlikely to social distance and others that are aggressively pro-mask and pro social distancing. Despite the differences in behavior, the infection rates don’t seem to show a significant difference.

I’m not anti mask. I’m not someone who believes they are a total waste. But there are ample anecdotes that suggest they aren’t as effective as we’ve been led to believe.

You make good points and then shoot yourself in the foot with that nonsense.
You know very well that other factors than mask wearing contribute to disease epidemiology.
Easy and obvious one:
population density and distribution.

Also, it’s obvious to the biggest Luddite that no records (outdoor event transmissions) doesn’t mean that there are no connections. It’s just too difficult to study, unless you force registered people into quarantine after.
Of course you know all of that, and it’s sad that you feel the need you to use that to make your case.

So close, so far.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 9, 21 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re being pedantic about the use of the works “lockdown”.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Apr 9, 21 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look. you make a statement as if it is a fact when it actually seems to be your opinion based on the 'vernacular' in 'your social circle' . then you seem to take offense when called out on it.

there is so much misinformation and misunderstanding around the pandemic, we don't need any more of it. it doesn't solve any problems.

and by the way masks absolutely do work for covid, there is abundant data showing this. but maybe not in your opinion, based on the vernacular in your social circle?.

Quote Reply
Re: Irony [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
You make good points and then shoot yourself in the foot with that nonsense.
You know very well that other factors than mask wearing contribute to disease epidemiology.
Easy and obvious one:
population density and distribution.

Also, it’s obvious to the biggest Luddite that no records (outdoor event transmissions) doesn’t mean that there are no connections. It’s just too difficult to study, unless you force registered people into quarantine after.
Of course you know all of that, and it’s sad that you feel the need you to use that to make your case.

So close, so far.
on the contrary, I recognize all of that and it’s why I’ve been careful to relay my experiences as anecdotes.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
Look. you make a statement as if it is a fact when it actually seems to be your opinion based on the 'vernacular' in 'your social circle' . then you seem to take offense when called out on it.

there is so much misinformation and misunderstanding around the pandemic, we don't need any more of it. it doesn't solve any problems.

and by the way masks absolutely do work for covid, there is abundant data showing this. but maybe not in your opinion, based on the vernacular in your social circle?.
Dude, take a breath. I didn’t take offense, I just didn’t realize there was an official, trademarked, internationally recognized definition for the word “lockdown” (or maybe you are just being pedantic after all). I used “lockdown” in the “the government won’t let me do some things” sense and every bit of context I’ve used since he been consistent with that.

I’ve already addressed the “masks work!” argument sufficiently.

Trent Nix
Last edited by: trentnix: Apr 9, 21 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
tristorm wrote:

Dude, take a breath. I didn’t take offense, I just didn’t realize there was an official, trademarked, internationally recognized definition for the word “lockdown” (or maybe you are just being pedantic after all). I used “lockdown” in the “the government won’t let me do some things” sense and every bit of context I’ve used since he been consistent with that.

I’ve already addressed the “masks work!” argument sufficiently.

Per Merriam Webster online:

b: a temporary condition imposed by governmental authorities (as during the outbreak of an epidemic disease) in which people are required to stay in their homes and refrain from or limit activities outside the home involving public contact (such as dining out or attending large gatherings)

it may be pedantic to point this out, but that doesn't make it wrong. Lockdown does not mean "the government won't let me do some things". it has connotations which are much different and specific (i.e., you cannot leave your house or go more than X distance from it). I just think that we should strive to be mindful with the words we use, because in this case, as I said previously, when people in the USA say anything to the effect that "we've been in lockdown", it just isn't true and is ignorant of how other areas of the world have handled it.
Quote Reply
Re: Irony [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I applaud the OP for this thread.

1. Make a few quick posts to rile up some folks, 2. stop responding, 3. enjoy the crap that gets thrown back and forth.

Very well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
it may be pedantic to point this out, but that doesn't make it wrong. Lockdown does not mean "the government won't let me do some things".
On the contrary, that's exactly what it means, per the definition you provided:
Quote:
b: a temporary condition imposed by governmental authorities (as during the outbreak of an epidemic disease) in which people are required to stay in their homes and refrain from or limit activities outside the home involving public contact (such as dining out or attending large gatherings)

Trent Nix
Last edited by: trentnix: Apr 9, 21 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:
it may be pedantic to point this out, but that doesn't make it wrong. Lockdown does not mean "the government won't let me do some things".
Quote:

We could debate the wording of the definition forever, but you didn't bold the "and". As I read it, it means 1) required to stay in their homes and 2) refrain from or limit activities...

Agree to disagree. I just think it's not the best word for us americans to describe what we've been subject to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
trentnix wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:
Quote:

We could debate the wording of the definition forever, but you didn't bold the "and". As I read it, it means 1) required to stay in their homes and 2) refrain from or limit activities...

Agree to disagree. I just think it's not the best word for us americans to describe what we've been subject to.

Under your reading, how would "limit activities outside the home..." have any meaning if you aren't allowed outside the house?
Quote Reply
Re: Irony [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
riverdaledad wrote:
... I am extremely disappointed in our society for the blatant apathy towards so much death as a result of virus... .
A pictures worth a 1000 words. Grab a tape measure and extend it to 100 inches. Go to the other end and count out 3 of those small vertical bars(3/16"). In proportion, that's the number of deaths in the USA compared to the total population of the USA represented by the 100 inches. Take a nice long look at the other 99 13/16" of the tape - that's a visual representation of the number of people that are still alive. Any death is one too many - but to characterize it as "so much death" is disingenuous at best.
Quote Reply
Re: Irony [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a tragic story of an active, healthy Intermountain nurse who contracted COVID last year. Luckily, she is doing better after a double lung transplant. Pretty sure that Jill thinks it is reckless to have a large triathlon in Utah during a pandemic.

https://www.sltrib.com/...t-gehrke-utah-nurse/
Quote Reply
Re: Irony [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:
trentnix wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:
Quote:

Under your reading, how would "limit activities outside the home..." have any meaning if you aren't allowed outside the house?

my guess is it's an acknowledgement that some people have to leave their home in order to keep the world spinning. We'd have to ask MW what they meant, but the inclusion of the word "and" leads me to think you cant just ignore the first part of the definition. In any event, this digression, which I admit I started, is getting a little silly and off topic.

we in the US haven't been subject to restrictions to our physical movement in the way other countries like canada or the UK or others I'm not aware of, and that's all i wanted to try to acknowledge.
Quote Reply
Re: Irony [BikenSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in California. We have no triathlons this spring or many other mass participation events. We have no spring COVID surge. We are completely reopening on June 15th if the numbers stay constant.

Florida ignored COVID. They have had many triathlons and other mass participation events. They are experiencing a spring surge.

https://www.google.com/...rticle250518344.html

If people continue to go to Texas Rangers games and Challenge Triathlons during a pandemic, then we won’t be able to get back to normal. If people get vaccinated, wear masks, and avoid mass gatherings, then we might have a normal race season this fall. Wouldn’t that be nice?
Quote Reply
Re: Irony [riverdaledad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riverdaledad wrote:
Here is a tragic story of an active, healthy Intermountain nurse who contracted COVID last year.
That is terrible. But you seem to struggle deeply with understanding the difference between possible and probable. These concepts seem to be synonymous for you. How do you manage to drive to work, fly a plane, ride a bike, or even get out of bed, when it will surely lead to certain death?????
Last edited by: exxxviii: Apr 9, 21 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You aren’t a medical doctor or a triathlete Trent. You should probably not be commenting on masks or triathlons. I will refrain from discussing bike fit and the Dallas Cowboys.
Quote Reply
Re: Irony [BikenSki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BikenSki wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
riverdaledad wrote:
... I am extremely disappointed in our society for the blatant apathy towards so much death as a result of virus... .

A pictures worth a 1000 words. Grab a tape measure and extend it to 100 inches. Go to the other end and count out 3 of those small vertical bars(3/16"). In proportion, that's the number of deaths in the USA compared to the total population of the USA represented by the 100 inches. Take a nice long look at the other 99 13/16" of the tape - that's a visual representation of the number of people that are still alive. Any death is one too many - but to characterize it as "so much death" is disingenuous at best.

Agree 1000% any death is too many.

But to judge my intentions and sentiments as disingenuous is extremely insulting. I will refrain from unpleasantries as STers love to bash each other. But don't be so quick to judge as you know nothing about me. I'm on your side. I care about every single death. Every person matters.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Irony [Diablo69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diablo69 wrote:
Florida ignored COVID. They have had many triathlons and other mass participation events. They are experiencing a spring surge.
They probably are not. The article is jumping the gun with a complete lack of data.

Edit: I misspoke initially. The article was just stating data. You completely misunderstood and misused the data it provided. Is your definition of "surge" a mild increases in cases with no associated deaths? Or is it the massive jump like we saw in November & December? Florida is probably experiencing the former, but we do not have data to know that yet. To help you understand context, probably 30% to 50% of Floridians have had Covid. They have vaccinated about 33% of their population with at least one dose. It is statistically improbable that they will see a material surge, because there are so few people left to catch it relative to prior actual surges.
Quote Reply
Re: Irony [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
probably 30% to 50% of Floridians have had Covid.

I find it's risky to hypothesize about this. Kind of a Lavender Room discussion, but we've had some very smart, data-minded people who made this same assumption about the rate of symptomless cases that are just never reported. These people used the assumption to poo-poo the idea of another significant surge. Last spring. Then last summer. Then winter. Etc. So far they're all about 0-fer.

Eventually the assumption will be right, though. Maybe it's this time, but it'll be like calling 8 out of the last 2 depressions.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 9, 21 14:50
Quote Reply
Re: Irony [Diablo69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diablo69 wrote:
You aren’t a medical doctor or a triathlete Trent. You should probably not be commenting on masks or triathlons. I will refrain from discussing bike fit and the Dallas Cowboys.

Care to share your credential?
Quote Reply

Prev Next