Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman website
Quote | Reply
Do they post articles like this because the race is having trouble getting participants?:

http://www.cnn.com/...index.html?hpt=hp_c3

I came up with 1,200 racers already signed up and how many were signed up last year?

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman website [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triscooteremu wrote:
Do they post articles like this because the race is having trouble getting participants?:

I came up with 1,200 racers already signed up and how many were signed up last year?

I think you pasted the wrong article. I'm guessing you meant this one: http://ironman.com/...g-ironman-st.-george

However, the prospect of IM N. Korea was too funny to let it slide...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the linked article, time in a North Korean labor camp in Siberia certainly sounds challenging, but I'm not sure I want to pay $600+ to sign up and I don't know how to train for it. They probably need to adjust their marketing a bit - "labor camp" has kind of a negative connotation. I have no idea how they would handle Kona qualifying.

That, or maybe the link is wrong... :)

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The initial link is pretty funny ....

I did IMSG its first year and will be back next year .... there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the site ... it just takes a while to get a reputation and feel for participants. Actually, its sort of nice to have a race without 3000 starters. Everyone complains about to many starters and now you're complaining about a smaller number .... who can ever please STers who don't like WTC.
By the way, I did Silverman in 2010 .... it gets raved about, but there were only some 400 full course starters in a race that was 5 years old .... they would have loved to have 1200 starters in the full distance race.

Both were fine events.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman website [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

According to N. Korean state media reports, Kim Jong-Il won Ironman N. Korea in just under 3 hours.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman website [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcsxtri10 wrote:
The initial link is pretty funny ....

I did IMSG its first year and will be back next year .... there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the site ... it just takes a while to get a reputation and feel for participants. Actually, its sort of nice to have a race without 3000 starters. Everyone complains about to many starters and now you're complaining about a smaller number .... who can ever please STers who don't like WTC.
By the way, I did Silverman in 2010 .... it gets raved about, but there were only some 400 full course starters in a race that was 5 years old .... they would have loved to have 1200 starters in the full distance race.

Both were fine events.

Dave

You missed a major point........A race must be small and easy.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the race is hard so no one goes even though everyone here complains about drafting but still do races like IMFL and IMAZ which in turn, sell out in 5 minutes.

Its on my potential for 2013. There is an amazing spa on the west side of town my wife has had her eye on for 10 years...I see no reason now for her to say no to this race-:)

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman website [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
the race is hard so no one goes even though everyone here complains about drafting but still do races like IMFL and IMAZ which in turn, sell out in 5 minutes.

Its on my potential for 2013. There is an amazing spa on the west side of town my wife has had her eye on for 10 years...I see no reason now for her to say no to this race-:)

I'm also thinking about IMSG for 2013, and now that you mention a spa, I think you just sold it to my wife, too. :) What is the name of the spa? Are they open on race day?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman website [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman website [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
triscooteremu wrote:

I think you pasted the wrong article. I'm guessing you meant this one: http://ironman.com/...g-ironman-st.-george

Yeah I did!! Sorry about that and thanks for noticing. Crazy work day

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman website [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This turned out pretty funny! Yeah I guess I wouldnt sign up for a race at a labor camp. Not much for kids to do.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman website [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think you're right .... WTC needs a race that has a downriver swim (like Louisville but not polluted) and a totally downhill bike and run .... I guess that would be the ultimate. Sort of sad but true!

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcsxtri10 wrote:

I think you're right .... WTC needs a race that has a downriver swim (like Louisville but not polluted) and a totally downhill bike and run .... I guess that would be the ultimate. Sort of sad but true!

Dave

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I think Louisville gets a bad rap........I LOVED that race. The river is not bad. I'm going back for round 2!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done this race it has quirks just like all the others it is tough but that makes crossing the line better. They have made the run more friendly and that was the hardest part. The ride is scenic and the people on this course are great so many people cheering in the small towns. Try the villas at Entrada for a place to stay.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman website [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louisville was quite nice. I think the race is dirty but nothing different from Lake Michigan (I live on the lake). Just dont swallow the water!

Its actually nice though with IM St. George that it still has so many spots open at this time of the year. I think its a must do.

Its not fun unless its a challenge IMO

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Show me your North Korean Labor Camp tattoos!!!! I'm thinking of getting one.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman website [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably something like this with the IM under it...

http://images.wikia.com/.../6c/HammerSickle.png

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't this contest illegal since you're required to purchase entry for the Ironman to enter the contest?

Re: Ironman website [elecengrman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's legal because of option #2. http://c28157.r57.cf1.rackcdn.com/...pstakes-rev-2nov.pdf

5. How to Enter: NO PURCHASE IS REQUIRED TO ENTER OR WIN THE SWEEPSTAKES. Individuals may enter the Sweepstakes in one of two ways:
(1) By registering, by December 31, 2011 via Active.com, to participate in the 2012 Ironman® St. George triathlon. The following personal information of the entrant will be required to be disclosed in order to register for the Sweepstakes by this method: full legal name, email address, mobile telephone number, date of birth, and the state in which you live. The prize winners will also be required to provide his or her mailing address and other information needed or useful in order to facilitate sending and receipt of a prize.) During registration, entrants may be offered the opportunity to opt-in to special offers. These offers are optional, and neither acceptance nor non-acceptance by entrants will affect the chances of winning the Sweepstakes.
(2) By mailing a 3” x 5” post card, with a handwritten request for an entry in the Sweepstakes and a statement of the entrant’s full legal name, email address, mobile telephone number, date of birth, and the state in which the entrant lives. Such post cards should be mailed to “Ironman® St. George Sweepstakes Entry, 2701 North Rocky Point Drive, Suite 1250, Tampa, Florida 33607” and must be post-marked no later than December 31, 2011 (and in all events must be received by Sponsor by January 7, 2012) in order to be eligible. Each such post card received will entitle the entrant, if otherwise eligible under these Official Rules, to one (1) entry.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman website [ironeric2010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I saw that but I figured by "entrant's full legal name" they meant race entrant.