Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman lottery
Quote | Reply
What are the chances of getting into Ironman Kona through the lottery? In other words, does anyone have any idea how many people enter?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman lottery [bgately] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't recall the exact figures, but I think your chances were around 3-4% in 2004. Keep in mind that the Passport Club gives you an extra chance as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That depends on the number of people that apply. You can increase your chances by also joining the passport club. I understand that they pick at least one person from each state. So if you live in state with a lower population you stand a better chance. I know several people that have gotten in by lottery. Its the only way that I'll ever get in.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard from people who look closely at the lottery winners list that the chances have improved. Seems like before the winners were picked by an outside firm that Big Island folks got way too lucky.

This will the first year I enter. Good luck.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know the number of people who enter the lottery but I wager it is substantial- quite a number of thousand- what would you guess..... three thousand maybe?

The estimate of a 3-5% chance sounds reasonable to me perhaps. A friend of mine, Jim VanValkenburg, viola player for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, got in on the lottery.

I enter every year.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman lottery [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I enter every year"

And have you ever gotten in through the lottery? And how many times have you entered the lottery?

Thx

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman lottery [KatyTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never gotten in through the lottery. I did the race in 1986 (as in, almost 20 years ago...) and qualified at the Muncie Endurathon. Back then qualifying was not difficult.

I think I have entered.... Hmmm, I don even want to know how many times. Quite a few. Add another one this year too.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So since I paid $85 this year x 20 more years I can expect to pay $1,700. Do I get the charitable deduction on my 1040? (Hah!)

Sure wish they reserved a few qualifying spots for us Clydes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work & play in the US and call this home. However, my home country is Malaysia (home of IM Langkawi), and carry a Malaysian passport. Someone mentioned that the lottery selects people from different states (in the US). Do my chances increase if I apply as a Malaysian or it just doesn't matter. Can I send in 2 applications (one based in a US address and one based in Malaysia.)..?

Paul...

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't know the number of people who enter the lottery but I wager it is substantial- quite a number of thousand- what would you guess..... three thousand maybe?

The numbers I have heard are similar---somewhere in the 4000 range. I've entered every year since probably 1994; got lucky not once but *twice*, 2001 and 2004. Unbelievable. Cool thing for 2001 was that I found out via a local sportscaster (the lovable Vern Glenn) on what was the NBC affiliate at the time here in the SF Bay Area. A once-in-a-lifetime experience that was.

And yes, I will enter for 2005...though I will do some more qualifiers. The bizarre thing for '04 was that I would have qualified at Vineman as the last 40-44 slot rolled down really, really far...a 6-hour 1/2 IM'er got the final slot. The lesson there is to *always* go to the Kona announcement "ceremony"---you never know!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman lottery [Paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I work & play in the US and call this home. However, my home country is Malaysia (home of IM Langkawi), and carry a Malaysian passport. Someone mentioned that the lottery selects people from different states (in the US). Do my chances increase if I apply as a Malaysian or it just doesn't matter. Can I send in 2 applications (one based in a US address and one based in Malaysia.)..?

As Posted on Ironmanlive.com....

U.S. Applicants : There will be 150 lottery slots available to the U.S. applicants. ONLY U.S. CITIZENS WILL BE ENTERED. 100 names will be drawn from the Passport Club. 50 names will be drawn from the U.S applicants and any unselected Passport Club members.

International Applicants : There are 50 lottery slots available to International applicants. CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES WILL NOT BE ENTERED. 25 names will be drawn from the Passport Club. 25 names will be drawn from the International Applicants and any unselected Passport Club members.

Seeing as you are not a US citizen I think you have to apply for the International lottery and it would be worth it to double your chances by joining the Passport Club as well. Good Luck!

Quote | Reply
I won a spot in last year's lottery, my second year of entering. No hate mail, please.

The numbers they gave us were 150 names from approximately 3,500 entries. Before you reach for the calculator, that's about a 4.3% chance or for my gambling friends a 20-1 shot. Yes, I paid the extra $$ to get in the Passport club, and I was selected from that portion of the drawing.

Good luck!

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman lottery [KatyTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've entered the lottery 6 times and got in on my 4th try. Passport Club. A friend of mine has actually hit the lottery twice. There is, as I understand it, between a 2 and 4% chance of getting in via the lottery. Best odds in town!
Keep trying. As they say: "You gotta be in to win it."
Frank
Last edited by: Frank13: Dec 15, 04 17:59
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman lottery [Frank13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have entered 10 times and never been drawn. Maybe it will be this year? Yea, right!

MARK MILLER
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman lottery [MARK MILLER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have entered 5 or 6 times and never been picked. I have a friend who entered the lottery twice and was picked both times!

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I entered for the first time this year, and got in if you can believe it. I did pay for the passport club though, so I guess that extra entry can help. I probably won't be entering the lottery again though...I think the next time I go will be with a qualifying slot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone comment on the numbers and odds around the International Lottery specifically? If i'm reading the previous posts correctly, it appears that everyone is talking about the US citizen lottery .
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman lottery [Larry Mackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you -- I've entered 8 times - with no luck. But there is always next year. Right?

I seem to remember when applying for the lottery meant that you had to pay the race fee - and then you were refunded when you didn't win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 1 out of 2.

First attempt in 1997 and I got in!

2nd attempt in 1998 and did not.

I have not tried since partly due to the fact that I feel I have been there just to do the race and I would love to do the race on my own merit somehow. No serious attempt has been feasible to this point due to a combination of financial reasons and achievement in other areas (marriage, masters degree, career development and relocating twice). In 2003 I set the goal of qualifying in 5 years so I created my current "handle" konaby2008 to remind me of this goal and the work that needs to take place. Just 3 more years of prep before that deadline.

I think that the lottery is great. Hey it got me to Kona and I loved it! I think that the people who get in through the lottery deserve it and if I never acheive my 2008 goal I will resume the game of chance called the lottery and hope that lightening can strike twice.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman lottery [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to qualify but I highly doubt that I'd be able to physically. The times are amazingly fast and my age group is competitive. I'm not doing the lottery because it's the easy way in, but rather my only way in.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman lottery [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd only do it just to get material for my posts here. I figure I'd rathole up about a good three months worth of material from doing that ridiculous thing.

I already have my post title picked out: "Kona: My Fat's In The Fire Now."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have entered every year since 2000 and haven't been successful. Since I am based in Europe and am in the 40-44 age groups and have a pb of 11:29 I see this as the most realistic chance of achieving my lifetime dream. Still I have got Penticton to look at in August.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply