Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman and pre-race testing for AG?
Quote | Reply
I heard from someone out in Kona that an athlete was tested yesterday (anti-doping). This particular athlete has some suspicion that they could be doping. Ironman is not well known for doing that much testing, but does anyone here have more details on whether Ironman does pre-race testing? I had thought that it was only after the race and for those that landed in the podium I would guess. But maybe I am wrong.

And can anyone share more details on a timeline on how this would look if they tested positive?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and pre-race testing for AG? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Competition testing timetable actually is 24 hours prior to competition day + competition day. So this would be an out of comp test that likely was "targeted" especially if she has a suspicious background. Which in that aspect, USADA was most certainly going to be here to post race test, so if they were getting info on particular athlete (hotline calls in on said athlete), this is kinda an easy way to test them, especially as they were likely already traveling here.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and pre-race testing for AG? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
In Competition testing timetable actually is 24 hours prior to competition day + competition day. So this would be an out of comp test that likely was "targeted" especially if she has a suspicious background. Which in that aspect, USADA was most certainly going to be here to post race test, so if they were getting info on particular athlete (hotline calls in on said athlete), this is kinda an easy way to test them, especially as they were likely already traveling here.

I didn’t know the window for “in competition” was that narrow. Thanks for that.

Do you know if these tests are urine tests?
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Oct 12, 23 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess that type of "targeted" athlete will ge the full treatment- urine + blood, while I'd think most post race would be urine. Conventional wisdom states that you getting popped at a race (or this close to a race) means you basically failed the IQ test of doping; at this point you should be "clean".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and pre-race testing for AG? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I would guess that type of "targeted" athlete will ge the full treatment- urine + blood, while I'd think most post race would be urine. Conventional wisdom states that you getting popped at a race (or this close to a race) means you basically failed the IQ test of doping; at this point you should be "clean".

I won't argue with that. I hope this person did fail this IQ test if they are indeed doping. They recently had a major win in a local races that raised even more suspicion so next few weeks are going to be interesting while the results come out.

How does that timeline look like, do you know?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and pre-race testing for AG? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

LOL!!! I'm trying to be as vague as possible, I don't want to give any type of information that would allow people to find them out, not until the results are actually made public. I will gladly come back and post here who I was talking about if they do get a ban from Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman regularly pulls age groupers as they check-in at Kona for testing. Has been for years. As far as I know, this only happens at Kona.

When you check in at the King Kam, if you get flagged, you get pulled into a back room for testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The athlete should know the result within prob a month at the latest, likely 2-3 weeks. The issue is if a positive occurs, then it kinda goes down a chain of events that "slows" down the process depending on how the athlete wants to proceed. They can work with authorities and admit their issue and potentially get a lighter sentence or they can "lawyer up" and fight it behind the scenes which then at that point your going to get the maximum penalty but also may slow down the overall announcement process. So the initial test result itself will be known likely in a few weeks, a month at the latest.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and pre-race testing for AG? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Ironman regularly pulls age groupers as they check-in at Kona for testing. Has been for years. As far as I know, this only happens at Kona.

When you check in at the King Kam, if you get flagged, you get pulled into a back room for testing.

That’s where it happened, during check-in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:

That’s where it happened, during check-in.

Yes, previously they had a room rented and it was a bit of a production line so to speak. Rumour is about 100 tests or 5% at check in...but I don't know for sure. Also it is OC testing as things like alcohol and weed are banned IC...allowed OC.

Also IC testing starts at 11.59pm or effectively the night and day of.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly women posting on FB pages that have admitted and recommended HRT. I did check results for one person and she certainly has won recently at 2 IM races… so perhaps someone dropped a dime on her…. Rightfully so
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and pre-race testing for AG? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
Certainly women posting on FB pages that have admitted and recommended HRT. I did check results for one person and she certainly has won recently at 2 IM races… so perhaps someone dropped a dime on her…. Rightfully so

We will know in a few weeks, I supposed. This person is still racing Kona Saturday to the looks of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the link read all the comments…. Certainly eye opening

https://www.facebook.com/...752/?mibextid=W9rl1R
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
Here is the link read all the comments…. Certainly eye opening

https://www.facebook.com/...752/?mibextid=W9rl1R

It’s a private group; I had to request access.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am no expert, but seem to remember that somebody here, during the Chartier aftermath, mentioned that the time before EPO cannot any longer be traced in the body, is less than a week?
If this is the case, you´d be darn stupid to dope the last couple of weeks before a big race like Kona. You will still have all the benefits leading into that in training.

But hey ... people are stupid, I know .... dopers a stupider :)
Last edited by: Mulen: Oct 12, 23 22:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:

NO, people need to read up a little bit.

":Hormone replacement therapies (HRT) involving estrogen, estradiol, or progesterone to treat the symptoms of menopause are not prohibited. However, any therapy (even bioidentical hormone therapies) that contains testosterone (e.g., Covaryx, EEMT), dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) (e.g., Intrarosa), or any other prohibited substance is prohibited at all times. "

(from USADA)

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and pre-race testing for AG? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No you should read ALL the comments and you are wrong No?

Female HRT is what you wrote HRT does also include T… please be informed

Again READ the comments in the link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
No you should read ALL the comments and you are wrong No?

Female HRT is what you wrote HRT does also include T… please be informed

Again READ the comments in the link.

Fair enough, HRT with T at least in Canada is very uncommon. The group is private and I'm pending, so unable to read the comments.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:

HRT in general isn't banned, just particular kinds. Estrogen and progesterone are fine, testosterone is a banned substance.

Just want to make the distinction that HRT use isn't equal to doping.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and pre-race testing for AG? [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree… Female HRT is what you are referring to. …. HRT is what is being referred to in the FB thread and includes discussion of use of T.

I do know a number of women who have the magic pellet inserted or use Creams which have a range of hormones and also T. I am not responding to anymore comments on this thread. Go read the fucking FB thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am curious, after reading this thread, if the athlete even shows up at the starting line.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and pre-race testing for AG? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I am curious, after reading this thread, if the athlete even shows up at the starting line.

I won’t reveal who they are, but I will confirm tomorrow morning if they started the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you tell us one of the numbers in their race number?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and pre-race testing for AG? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I recall a thread here a number of years ago about some out of competition testing at Kona.check-in,. One of those selected 'got sick ' and DNSed and another DNF"d (the speculation was on purpose). It will be interesting to see if this person does either of those options.

There was a third that year that refused testing on the basis that they had a phobia of needles. They spent many tens of thousands bringing a whole family over from Europe (IIRC) but still wouldn't get blood drawn.

As an additional aside, the year I was there an AGer got popped shortly before the race and I recall there was a blank spot on the giant name poster where there name would have been.
Quote Reply

Prev Next