Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Wisconsin 2023
Quote | Reply
I don't think there's an official IM Wisconsin 2023 thread out there so I wanted to start one.

A couple thoughts of mine:
-It looks like it couple possibly be wetsuit optional. To be determined!
-Given there's no impending tsunami, the crowd support should be great
-Looks like there will be a few pros racing

Question:
-How are you all planning on fueling on the bike? Sounds like salt may be beneficial. I hesitate to solely stick with gels, chews, and sugary energy bars.
Last edited by: AZDesert: Aug 31, 23 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2024 [AZDesert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait - are you posting about the one in 1 weeks or 53 weeks? Because it's only 2023 the last time I checked 🙃

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2024 [AZDesert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
assuming you mean 2023.

What pros are racing? Its not a pro prize race so they would be racing just to race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2024 [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad! Clearly a mistake. It's fixed now.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2023 [AZDesert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there!

What is the current water temp? I wasn't able to find any websites with good data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May try to get up there for a couple hours to see how things are going.

Does anyone have an update on the snakes in Lake Monona? I think with the weather the last couple weeks they should be peaking right around race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2023 [swimbikefly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimbikefly wrote:
I'll be there!

What is the current water temp? I wasn't able to find any websites with good data.

Here is a commonly used website: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/...0010F&period=P7D

My sense is that IM usually finds a way to make it wetsuit legal, but the heat wave coming in this weekend and early next week is worrying.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2023 [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. They’ll do everything in their power to keep it legal, but guess I should break out the swimskin for my last OWS training swim tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2023 [swimbikefly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But either way - since I'm nowhere good enough to place in my age group, I would assume I can still wear a wetsuit since it'll be under 84?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been down to 48 at night a couple of recent days. I would not put too much worry into a no wetsuit swim possibility.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I'll see you there.

I'll be doing Infinit + Gels on the bike (91 g/hr carb) and especially if it's warm I'll take some salt caps on the bike but I should be covered with Infinit.

I'll be shocked if a lake that size is not wetsuit legal for race day. Some of the temps are being measured at 7pm rather than race morning like IM does. I'll still pack my swim skin though.

Hope everyone has a safe final week and race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just looked at the IM site and am surprised to see that, a week out, and general registration is still available. Remember trying to get in this race years ago and having it close quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2023 [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes!!! Like in minutes.

I remember the line in 2004 IN PERSON the day after the race for all the volunteers and people that just did the race to get first dibs at the next years race before the online registration opened later in the morning. The line had to have at least 500 in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of questions for those of you familiar with the course and/ or more experienced than I. Any advice is appreciated

1. Giro Vanquish or Giro Aerohead? I have both. I’m inclined to wear the Vanquish because it’s lighter and I think I’ll be out of an aero tuck often enough that the Aerohead is not worth it.

2. Disc wheel? I say “yes”. Although the course is hilly there are no long climbs and there are some sections where a disc can be a big advantage. I only ask because I rode the course with some others, many of whom were serious riders, and there was not a disc among them.maybe the et were saving it for race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
A couple of questions for those of you familiar with the course and/ or more experienced than I. Any advice is appreciated

1. Giro Vanquish or Giro Aerohead? I have both. I’m inclined to wear the Vanquish because it’s lighter and I think I’ll be out of an aero tuck often enough that the Aerohead is not worth it.

2. Disc wheel? I say “yes”. Although the course is hilly there are no long climbs and there are some sections where a disc can be a big advantage. I only ask because I rode the course with some others, many of whom were serious riders, and there was not a disc among them.maybe the et were saving it for race day.

My two cents:

Go Aerohead. You should be in aero a lot.

I'd go disc if you have one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going Aerohead for sure.

Personally I wouldn't use a disc given the climbs are shorter but steep (I'm a smaller rider). But if you feel you race well on hilly courses with it I say go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time doing the race where I am not staying within walking distance of the start... any insights on where parking is for the race? The athlete guide only mentions the alliant center which is not helpful after the race with the bike...

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2023 [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Capitol area by the Terrace will be crazy & blocked off so I don't recommend trying to park there on race day. Nearby neighborhood parking is generally restricted at 2-4 hours.

There are shuttles running to/from the Alliant. Post-race I would pick up your car from the Alliant then park in one of the ramps by the Terrace (Block 89 or East Main) and pick up your bike.

Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andy515 wrote:
First time doing the race where I am not staying within walking distance of the start... any insights on where parking is for the race? The athlete guide only mentions the alliant center which is not helpful after the race with the bike...
Parked a couple of blocks west of the start at Doty and Henry last year. Time limits not enforced on Sunday and downhill from the finish line. A little recon should give you a good idea where you can park.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2023 [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, scope it out in the days prior, but it is very reasonable to park a few blocks from transition. I had no issues doing so.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin 2023 [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great, thanks all for the insights. I'll scope it out when I get in tomorrow especially the areas mentioned.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andy515 wrote:
great, thanks all for the insights. I'll scope it out when I get in tomorrow especially the areas mentioned.

I would look at Capitol Square North Garage - it's two blocks from the square, I've gotten there early on raceday and parked for the day. The beauty of this lot is it's removed from all race hub-bub... assume as you are driving in, you will depart after race... so with this lot, you can finish, ultimately, collect your bike, have a reasonably short walk (like 5-6 blocks from bikes) with your stuff to your vehicle... and get out of town, not blocked by race or traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Aerohead. Its a faster helmet, period. It wont be warm either...aerohead

2) Disc wheel. Its faster. There are ALOT of sections the disc wheel will be faster and save you energy. Sure there are hills, but the course isnt all uphill... there are so many flat fast sections on IMWI that are ignored.

Most athletes don't ride their disc wheel in training.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately there was a death yesterday. Not a lot of news on it, but NBC had a write up. Anyone else have any information?

https://www.nbc15.com/2023/09/11/athlete-dies-after-competing-madisons-ironman-triathlon/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and I spectated at the top of midtown where we live and both remarked on how thin/ sparse it was compared to previous runnings from spectators and competitor perspective. And so many more cars on course. Looked it up and full distance participation was about down 40% vs of what it was at this race pre-covid

M starters: 955
F starters: 249

I can see why they are trying to consolidate the 140.6 circuit. Ironman are betting on wisconsin, for now. But between waning participation and a race that is getting more expensive, i cannot imagine this race persists in its current iteration many more years.

Madison's metro's west side has seen explosive growth between Epic and suburban sprawl, and the farm fields that made up the loop of 20 years ago are now becoming mega housing developments which has accelerated in the last 5 years.

With that increased residential density comes much more car traffic density, training and racing on these 2 lane rural roads much more dangerous, as 90% of the course is not closed roads on race day. For the 10% that is closed roads, the race is only becoming more expensive and with less upside to places like verona or mt horeb to close down the centers of town.
Quote Reply

Prev Next