Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Training Schedule help.
Quote | Reply
Hey Gang...

in less than 13 days I'll be doing my first 1/2 Ironman! I feel ready. I feel psyched and pumped! The schedule I followed is this one:

http://tinyurl.com/8lkng (URL goes to HIM schedule)

I'm considering using the Full Ironman training schedule they have:

http://tinyurl.com/dsykq (URL goes to IM schedule)

But it seems to lack what a lot of the Triathletes here in my area(Macon, GA) have said which is you really need about 8 - 9 long rides of 100 miles ore more before going into the Ironman.

The above schedule for the Ironman has only 3 "longer" rides of 5-6 hrs. For me, to get in a 100 mile ride, it'll probably take around 6 1/2 - 7hrs. Remember, I'm a beginner here. My 60mile ride this past Sunday was 3hrs 15mins. (tons of hills)

At any rate, I'm wondering if I should simply pepper that schedule with Century rides here and there... Or, does someone else have another Ironman schedule they recommend for beginners like myself.

Info on me:
(10min / mile running) [Marathon in Jan: 4:46]
2.5 mile swim(pool): 1hr 30min
Longest bike, 60miles: 3hr 15min.

Ideas guys?(and gals :)
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training Schedule help. [occy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Triathlete magazine they have a program by Paula Newby Fraser. One for beginners, another for intermediate and third for the skinny, shaved and M-DOT tattooed. I think it is quiet a good program.

I use the one I developed based on Don Fink’s book IronFit. He does recommend a few century rides. I also used others books mainly the Tri bible and Gordo’s going long.

I go every Sunday with the local cycling club (60-70 miles). Then, on some Sundays I continue on my own for another 15 miles away from home and 15 miles back. On other Sundays, I cycle the 60-70 miles that they do, go home change to running gear and go for a 45 minutes run.

Century rides are good for getting you used to the saddle. I find it makes my upper body and neck more used to strains of long distance. But the pace (at least in events in my area) is very slow.

As far the bike section is concerned - if you can ride 60 miles in 3:15 it sounds to me that you are ready to tackle the Half Ironman with no problems.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I'm doing for IMF (1st IM):

From the book Going Long:

Go to page 46-47: find your annual hours column--I multiplied 12 hours a week x 52 =~600

Follow weekly hours of base, build, and peak program listed on that page. I correspond the weekly hours with the chart on pages 44-45; the long bike recommended for that week is followed with 3 swims, two more bikes, and three runs to equal the weekly total (I scheduled a brick run every other week following the long bike). I can't figure that this program will hurt my performance, only help. Anybody do something similar for an IM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
use the one i sent you from gale bernhardt - it works!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The trick to riding fast in an IM w/out killing yourself is not only to do several long rides near the time you expect to ride but to do them at the pace you expect to ride or faster. You can go ride at 15mph all day. Come race day if you avg 18.5 become friends with not having a good race.

Sample workouts might be 30 min warm up, 3.5hr at IM pace, 15 ez, 3x20min at half IM pace or faster with 5 min recovery, then easy back home. Or 5hrs w/ 4.25 at IM pace. Or 6 hr w/ 4x1hr at Im pace 10min at 40k pace 5 min easy. For my IM I rode two rides over 100 miles, one at 112 and the other 126.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came from 0 biking background to my first IM in about 1.5 years. Before my 1st IM I put in 5-6x 100+mile rides and 5-6x 80-90 mile rides. Enjoyed the bike under great conditions. My next IM I faced much tougher conditions (some hills + lots of wind) - and I only had 2 rides over 4 hours and none over 5 hours b/c of family commitments getting in the way of training. The bike during the race was brutal. I am no coach and I am fairly new to the sport. I would say that riding 100+ miles at least 2-3 times before you race an IM will certainly pay dividends. Go for more if you can fit it in without gettin injured.
Good luck with the 1/2 IM -- enjoy the race and the total buzz you get from crossing the finish line.

under-trained and over-tapered. . . .yet still hopeful . . . does that make me an optimist or a masochist?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Training Schedule help. [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there bud,

The only problems I had with that schedule were:

a.) it's a 13 week course (I have 21 weeks )
b.) it assumes you are going to do a sub 13hr IM.

Hah. sub 13hour!#%@% That's insane for somebody like me. I do 10min/mile runs (if I'm lucky I can keep that pace up for 20miiles) I avg about 15/17mph on the bike. I'm a fairly decent swimmer, but it doesn't really make up for the slowness in the other 2 sports.

Soo... I really need something that is geared more towards a newbie.

Btw, I love the fleece you sent me. I wore it all winter long!

Yours,
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a. spend the next 9 weeks putting yourself in a position to complete week 13 of the schedule

b. it doesn't assume you can do it, it trains you to do it

i'm telling you, it's worked for many first time imers.
glad you're enjoying the fleece - good luck in florida!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
occy, I did the "13 weeks to a thirteen hour ironman" for my first. It's pretty laid back and only one, maybe two, hundred mile rides. I did quite a few 3-4 hour rides from what I can remember. I'm not sure where I found it but it seems to be pretty well known. I have a hardcopy of it, I'll search some more for a link or a saved copy if you'd like.

Trav

Quote | Reply
I was a newbie too, and the program I followed looked pretty similar to the thriteen weeks to the 13 hour IM. While I didn't break thirteen hours like I hoped, I still finished the thing without crawling, cramping or medical attention.

Sure if you do more training you might get a better result, but as a newbie I was probably at my limit as to how much I could do: In the end it was three six-hour rides plus one hour bricks in the build up to the event. I think the program is probably the minimum you should do without making a spectacle of yourself getting to the finish on will-power alone.

If you have 21 weeks to go the advice I got and followed is to break it into two chunks. I worked up to a half IM in the first 10 weeks, took a rest and then did 10 weeks to the IM

Those who know do not speak, those who speak, do not know.
Quote Reply
Not enough long rides.. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herschel34, travisml , and Marky Mark,

Yeah, the biggest problem I see with the 13 week program (and the 20 week one for that matter) is it doesn't have enough long rides. I've been told by local Triathletes who've done dozens of IM distant races that I should probably have anywhere from 8-9 100M rides under my belt before IMFL.

I respect their opinion, and realize that maybe I do need to log more time in the saddle to feel confident on race day.

The other thing is... I'm also worried about runs. There doesn't seem to be enough running. Maybe I'm just trying to kill myself... but. I really believe in being prepared and doing your homework(training) to prepare for raceday.

While I'm one of those that will be in the back of the pack, I want to make sure I put in enough work that I don't get injured on race day, and that I finish. (which, finishing is my ultimate goal).

Anyway... I'm actually leaning toward modifying the 20week BeginnerTriathlete.com Ironman schedule. I might see if I can beg my friends here locally to put me a schedule together too.

Trae

PS. w00p! 1/2 Ironman: Rock and Rollman, is right around the corner. Less than 2 weeks and I feel super pumped.

--
Trae McCombs
Quote Reply